Let's Question Video Game Mechanics

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 Bookmark Thread
Jenny

4:46pm May 25 2011

Normal User

You know how some video games go beyond logic and sometimes doesn't make sense when you really think about it?

The obvious example is throwing phoenix down on Aeris/Aerith in Final Fantasy 7. Or how you can always casually walk in houses/buildings fully armed and grab the people's belongings and leave without a complaint from them (unless it's the Fallout series).

Or how bad of an aimer a person is in some military faction or super secret lethal organization that no one has ever heard of. Or the ever faithful invisible walls/boundaries that prevent you from exploring.

Or how you can persistently run into walls and no one would question it.

Or, whenever you're in combat, you accidentally press a button to do something else (like climbing a ladder or a secondary function) when you really meant to kick/punch/shoot. Imagine how ridiculous that will look in real life.
Person A: "What are you doing!?"
Person B: "I don't know! I somehow had the urge to climb this ladder in this dire situation!"
Person A: "What?! Come back down and help me with these zombies!"

Or how the people in games can see numbers such as their own stats and no one would ever question it. 

Also, how you can always take your time with a task in rpgs. Like how the person says, "Quick! You must [insert problem of high importance here]! You have to hurry!" yet you can take as long as you want unless it's timed. 

So yeah, what other things can you find that doesn't really make sense?

i’m such a gamer uwu
Fox

7:45pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Pokemon- You can just barge into anyone's house and dig through their trash can XD  If someone did that in real life....  XD

Or that time I was playing Oblivion and a guard ran up to me on account of my bounty.  Couldn't take him seriously considering his helmet was sideways and poking through his head.  Most hilarious glitch ever.

I\'m back.
Jenny

7:49pm May 25 2011

Normal User

I noticed that in Pokemon too; plus you can do that in almost every other rpgs + Fallout and then some. xD

Glitches are always funny.

I was playing Suikoden 3 and somehow one of the Lizard soldier's head was stuck looking to the side. It was so weird. When he ran away, his head was still stuck so awkwardly that it was creepy. xD That glitch never happened before so I found it hilarious. 

i’m such a gamer uwu
Ambrus

9:39pm May 25 2011

Normal User

I was playing fallout 3 and there was a radscorpion in a bilboard having a spaz attack, but you couldn't lock on it or shoot it. I was like ._.

Adopt one today! Click Me!
Jenny

9:41pm May 25 2011

Normal User

I'm pretty sure most of us have encountered the "spazzy corpses" glitch. Where a body would twitch violently for no apparent reason and they are no threat to you at all xD

i’m such a gamer uwu
Ambrus

9:42pm May 25 2011

Normal User

fallout 3 had the most glitches i've ever experienced in a game lol a piece of sky fell on my character and you couldn't wwalk though it and it was just. odd

Fox

9:48pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Oblivion (The Elder Scrolls Series) And fallout are both made by Bethesda, so I believe they have similar glitches.  (I'm a die- hard Elder Scrolls fan)  In fact, in Oblivion, if you dragged a corpse into a door and shut it, it would have a seizure.

I\'m back.
Ambrus

9:51pm May 25 2011

Normal User

yeah same with fallout

Yoshi

10:13pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Your mention of the seeing-their-own-stats thing reminds me of Max Payne. I'm not really sure anymore, but I think he mentioned the heads-up display at some point in both games. I know he did in the first at least.

But then, they just kind of loved kicking the fourth wall in. xD

Ahm. Yah. I.. can't think of anything.

Oh, 'cept maybe the chickens in Zelda. Evil things, bro.

And also the stupid antlions in Half-Life 2. I never understood how a single step on the sand would guarantee you to have to waste a bunch of health and bullets on 'em, but standing on a centimeters-thick piece of metal could keep them from giving an ounce of notice. o3o

Jenny

10:26pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Freaks me out when they break the fourth wall. xD

The numbers thing can also be applied to how they can see their own HP/MP/etc. o_O

Oh, also in some games, the characters instruct you on how to move and such. "Use the right analog stick to move. Press X button to attack." I find it funny like how the people don't even question these mysterious controls. xD I'd be like "I need to press my what to do that..? o_o "

Haha, that made me think about how you can just run over ammunition and automatically pick it up. xD In Crysis 2, they made it a bit realistic with the ammo boxes. o:

i’m such a gamer uwu
Fox

10:59pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Oh, and can't forget about how in Grand Theft Auto, you can get shot, hit by cars, and such and then just keep running as if you're fine.  And you can run red lights, crash head on into a car, spped, drive in the wrong lane, and goodness knows what else, but the second you bump a cop car you gain a star.

I\'m back.
Jenny

11:13pm May 25 2011

Normal User

Oh yeah, definitely. I've seen many videos of epic explosions while the guy just strolls off like it's nothing.

It has the opposite effect in LA Noire. xD

You have to actually drive safe or the damages will be deducted from your paycheck or something like that. Plus I think it lowers the case ranking. 

i’m such a gamer uwu
Monkeynaut

8:32am May 26 2011

Normal User

In 3D Zelda games, I always liked how rolling was faster than running.

I also envy how Gordon Freeman can get by in life without saying a single word.

Jenny

9:00am May 26 2011

Normal User

Yeah, in some games, rolling/jumping/skipping and whatever else is much faster than walking/runnning. xD

Haha, he's not the only one. I'm pretty sure there's more silent protagonists out there. 

i’m such a gamer uwu
Yoshi

11:41am May 26 2011

Normal User

But do you envy how he has to SAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD FROM ALIENS? O:

... And run through Ravenholm. Jegus, that place was so horrible.

Oh, oh. I got one. The fact that in some games, you can make yourself jump higher by exploding something at your feet. And not die. :D Rocket-jumps ftw, bro.

Hm. I'm trying to think of something from Serious Sam, since I just replayed it a few months ago.. but the entire game was just so ridiculous, nothing ever seemed out of place. xD

DracoTarcheInazuma

8:51pm May 26 2011

Normal User

Let's see. I'll name a few for now.

Smash Brothers.
The more you hit somebody, the more gravity you take away from them.

Valkyria Chronicles.
Press the R1[?] button and aiming mode comes in! Because everybody would have the courtesy of ceasing fire in point-blank range and allow you to take aim at them.

Golden Sun.
You can't walk over a little la
yer of pebbles. You have to take a detour filled with a ton of dangerous puzzle crap because walking over pebbles is a physical impossibility.

And don't even get me started on this nonsense called the Sonic series. There is just too much stupidity in those games. NOTHING MAKES SENSE HNNGH.

... and yoshi. is this the volcano bakemeat i am thinking it is.
YOU ARE A MONSTER
coach.

Jenny

9:34pm May 26 2011

Normal User

Lol, Yoshi; saving the world from aliens is a difficult task. Nearly everyone have to do it at one point in their life. xD You can also make yourself jump higher (in a way) by using Portals.. c: As long as you have the right momentum and speed and fall boots.

Yeah, in the Smash Brothers series, apparently the more you hit them, the more likely they'll be sent flying off the map into that void of an area called death. x.x

Most games have that problem like Golden Sun has. Such as Dead Space. Where Issac can't fricking jump over a box or ladder. Pretty much any games that don't have the jumping option are kind of frustrating at times. Be much easier. x.x

I think Sonic's on speed. lol, punny. c:

Not only Yoshi, but Kirby too. Both in his own franchise and Smash Brother series. He can suck things that are triple his size.. Dang it. I couldn't think of an alternative way to rephrase that.. xD

Speaking of classic games; I think everyone can agree that the Mario franchise is trippy and doesn't make sense at all. Plus I think Peach and Bowser has a thing. Also.. In the new Super Mario Brothers (for the Wii), at the beginning, Peach can clearly jump down yet she chose not to. D: 

i’m such a gamer uwu
Yoshi

1:11pm May 27 2011

Normal User

Smash Bros. reminds me of health bars. Like. No matter how fatal anything should be, until the enemy loses that final health point, it's still gonna be in perfect fighting condition. Kind of like anime characters and horror movie villains, hah.

The portals actually kind of makes sense though. P: It's just gravity doing its work (though I guess it's probably exaggerated), and if I recall, after a while you even reach a terminal velocity like you should.

And hah, the only reason I didn't bring up Yoshi is that I couldn't figure out how to word it. Bravo, sir. 8Y

I will add, however, that Yoshi also has INSTANT BABY-MAKING POWERS.

Why, yes. It is THAT volcano bakemeat. o_o

I WILL ALL YOUR ELFS FALLED

I AM A MONATER COACH FOR GROUP OF MISSILE BOMB

HAHAHAHA

Jenny

1:35pm May 27 2011

Normal User

Go away. I scraah you.

.. Oh god, this is hilarious. xD

My mind is still trying to wrap around this whole thing. 

i’m such a gamer uwu
Dragon393

11:42am May 28 2011

Normal User

Heres something that drives me nuts in an old game that no ones heard of called the ledgend of dragoon, its like final fantasy, so im in a fight and the lady on my team DIES so I use a potion thingy to revive her, but then 5 minutes later in a cutsceen thing she twists her ankle and has to be carried >_>

DID ANYONE ONE ELSE NOTICE THE FOLLOWING? so bowser is kidnapping peach ALL THE TIME >_> then if you played super mario sunshine bowser jr comes and calls her Moma Peach 0_o anyone else connecting these dots?

You could be adventuring and journying for hours in an anime or video game but the characters NEVER HAVE TO PEE o_0

In harvest moon type games even though you have to feed your animals you could go a whole year without feeding your character

Ever notice in the pokemon show if they are like fighting over a berry or something [the pokemon] ash and the others force them to stop fighting, but then an hour later they send out their pokemon to beat the living crap out of each other.

Dont you just love how in old final fantasy games to fight they swing a sword a foot away from the other guy then take a few steps back and patiently wait for their turn?

Tales of symphonia dawn of a new world WARNING SPOILER if marta could hold centurians cores because she was protected by ratatosks core in her fore head becuase holding a centurians core would drive a normal person insane...but then it turns out its a fake core....so why isnt she insane?

Yes, I am aware I over think a lot of things

~
Go to page: 1, 2, 3