There's an app for that.

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
KrystalKhaos

6:21pm Oct 11 2012 (last edited on 6:24pm Oct 11 2012)

Normal User

I know this may be more complicated than it seems, But if Res had anyway to create an application for smartphones it could be a great expansion, a new way to get the word out and find new users and also a new way to enjoy everything about this place on the go. 

If this is a possibility in any way I am willing to try and help come up with layouts, or new ideas for an app. Just checking ere to see if this can even begin to happen. 

Thank you for all you replies :)

--khaos--
Zen

6:46pm Oct 12 2012 (last edited on 6:48pm Oct 12 2012)

Artist

im not all too great with phones, (so correct me if im wrong or completely barking up the wrong tree xD)

i can get the internet on my phone, as all smart phones can and I often use it to go on Res or any other website. 
To me, this kinda of.... makes a need for a Rescreatu app obsolete, i think its a good idea but i just cant see what an app could really offer where the actual web site is a few clicks away |D As i said i dont know much about apps and such :D may be theirs alot of great stuff that you could do. 
i guess to sum it up
I think its a good idea but I don't really see the point or what it could offer XD 

Juke

1:18am Oct 13 2012

Content Manager

iPods, bro. I NORMALLY don't have access to a laptop, so my iPod is a must. However, it's extremely glitchy with Res. Some stuff just doesn't work, including;

Forums
RMail
Using an item
Flash games

AND what sucks the most is that one cannot be a staff member without a computer's abilities and such.

Therefore, a Res App is a must for me, and I support this 180%. <3

KrystalKhaos

7:35am Oct 13 2012

Normal User

Zen- as you said, most smartphones can acces the Internet. The only issue is the fact that the website is only setup for a desk top computer, causing constant zooming, shoutbox issues, accidental link clicking, and as zen said some functions don't work properly such as the drop down menus on the top of the page. 
An app would help due to the fact that they are made for a mobile phone layout. It Would make for much simpler navigation around all parts of res. If an app is completely out of the question, the next best idea would be to create a redirectory page to a mobile website layout. Technically speaking an app is not a necessity for all res users. The most appealing aspect is the ease of use along with allowing smoother navigation. 
Thank you for your reply.

Russia- thank you for supporting and I never thought about how much it could help the staff out so great point! I really hope something is able to happen. It would be great. 

Wishies

4:00pm Oct 15 2012

Normal User

Total support.
Free bump <3

On a major quest for Omnis. Kthnx
Lilith

10:59pm Oct 15 2012

I'm pretty sure the only thing holding us back from this is we don't have the funds to hire someone to make the app or code a mobile version.

In the event that an app was created, I highly doubt it would be something for accessing the site fully. Probably more like access to dailies and stocks, for example. Most mobile apps are not copycat versions of the full site; they just provide basic functionality of the areas that are most necessary.

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys pay for an app for Res?

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚♫ and the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate ♫**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚
Juke

3:18pm Oct 16 2012

Content Manager

I think $4.99'd be my limit. :T I honestly hate paying for apps though. |D

And GPXPlus' App is pretty much a mobile-copy. XD; Like, everything but forums.

Wishies

6:38pm Oct 16 2012

Normal User

I figured the layout would have a huge change.
What i would like it to include tho:
Stocks, Inventory, a link to the larger SB, Merchant/Rancher Shop, Trades.
Idk how we would include all of the "dailies" Seeing as some are on different planets.

At least with an App we could do these basic checks until we were able to get to a laptop/ home computer. and honestly i was going to say 2.99 is a pretty high price for an app. I probably wouldn't go for 4.99

And it would have to be available for the android market aswell as the itunes market.

KrystalKhaos

12:19am Oct 17 2012

Normal User

Free - 2.99
most apps aren't too expensive. unless they are an exact replica or at least have everything the original has. for 4.99 I'd expect to be able to do/have all the res options. just to be honest.
Lilith

11:56am Oct 17 2012 (last edited on 12:07pm Oct 17 2012)

For price, I was thinking along the lines of .99c - $1.99. What's the general opinion on that range?

The next class in my course lineup is one for programming in Java. I'm gonna attempt to make an Android app for Res as part of my individual project for that class, so we will see what happens ^.^

I don't know about iPhone or iPad though - I don't own either one of those devices, and I don't own a Mac, so I have no idea if it is even possible to attempt writing an app for those devices. After I get more familiar with Java programming and play around with making apps for Android, I will look into doing this for the Apple devices too.

I can't make promises, but I will give it my best shot. =)

In the meantime, you guys can help me out by making a specific list of the most important things you'd like to see in the app.

KrystalKhaos

11:52am Oct 18 2012

Normal User

Well, I own an apple product so bummer for now, lol. Really appreciate all you are trying to do and the possibility of it being on apple devices though.

That Price range is perfect, will be working on a list of probably 10 things I feel are most important, maybe that would be easier if each of us could do a top 10 list of what we feel are necessities for the app?
Lilith

11:53am Oct 18 2012

Yeah that would be great, a top 10 list. =)

I did some googling last night, and it seems there are options available for creating a virtual environment to test apps for apple devices, so don't get bummed out too fast!

KrystalKhaos

12:07pm Oct 18 2012

Normal User

1. Profile Page/Main Page (mainly to feed, check bank account, etc.)
2. Skill Games/Stocks
3. Alerts
4. Forums
5. Shoutbox
6. Exploring
7. Merchant/Rancher Shops
8. Auctions
9. Inventory 
10. Hatchery

This was a lot harder than I had imagined, but tried to come up with a good list.

And Yay! not bummed out so bad now, Broken. =] 

mandolady

12:18pm Oct 18 2012

Normal User

i totally support this  would be awesome to have more fliud access with my tablet it freezes at times even boots me off of the site, what bugs me most is lagging with items use, sending of pets.  i can not use my laptop any more the tablet is my only means to get on res.

if this helps my tablet is a android-
toshiba-thrive

thanks for time and attention, take care all!

i zap pets, 50 k per pet. rmail me for more details.

-haat, ijaa, haa`it -truth honor vision-

Wishies

8:48am Oct 20 2012

Normal User

i kinda posted my list already =/
But maybe the "Main Page" could include the info you now see below your avatar?
Like Tu, Credits/CP, Selected creatu levels, If you have any alerts, And maybe updates? 
Just to get a lot of the information on a main page. 

And the links for the other things could be on the side or top.. I know that maybe 10 clickable links/buttons might be hard to fit, but preferably not so small that i have to "zoom" ten thousand times just to read/click on it. LOL

Juke

12:48am Oct 21 2012

Content Manager

Neyh.

10) Support for future/current staff members
9) So obviously, a shoutbox is required.
8) As would be Rmails.
7) Hatchery
6) Explore
5) Stocks
4) Shops (NPC and Merchant)
3) Auctions
2) Inventory
1) Forums? That one's a big maybe, because they're freaking huge, but eh.

Lilith

12:57am Oct 21 2012

Unfortunately, the ability to staff is not going to be included in an app. Our staff members are going to have to have access to a PC or Mac in order to be part of the team, both for security purposes and to be able to fully participate in the duties of staff.

Thanks for the list though <3

Juke

2:55am Oct 21 2012

Content Manager

Haha, hopeful wishin'. 

Grazi Broken. <3

Yoshi

11:37am Oct 23 2012 (last edited on 11:37am Oct 23 2012)

Normal User

The ability to use items would be a+ oh man

like. i'm pretty sure the number of times my pets have died has gone up about a billion percent since I stopped being able to feed them on my phone/ipad

but yeah, shoutbox and stocks would be nice too c:

Go to page: 1