Well, it's a Story, I Guess. Anybody want to Read it?

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
DecemberMoon

11:17am May 8 2010

Normal User

This is probably the longest portion of a story I've ever writen. (sadly enough, it's only a page long. Can you say distractab-hey look, a bird!) I wrote most of it kind of late at night, so there's probably typos and grammar fails in there. I'm too lazy and in a bad mood to proofread right now Y_Y. I don't think anybody would want to steal this, but if anyone does, I will not be amused. And no, it does not have a name yet.

[beginning] 

The great building project had been going on for quite some time, but, at last, it was finally completed. The builders were finally even allowed to return to the surface. The only thing it now lacked was people, young people to be more specific. But that problem would soon be solved as soon as Mortimer Twenth finished climbing the seemingly endless staircase up to the surface world.
    He could have taken the elevator. But, being the foolishly pompous person he was, he felt that taking the elevator would be too average a triumphant return, and that it would be far more intimidationg and grand to burst out of the stairwell brandishing the Liscense like a weapon. That’d show old McCarson, he had thought when standing at the bottom of the stairwell. However, the fact that he was terribly old, and the fact that he’d never been a terribly active person had pretty much ruined all the chances of his envisioned comeback.
    In the end, he arrived at the top of the hidden stairwell after several hours, panting like he’d just run a marathon, and subconsciously using the Liscense as a fan to cool himself off. He started stumbling through the also hidden hallway (because hidden  stairwells and hidden hallways just go so nicely together, it would be a shame to separate them.) and out of the hidden door, to a completely unhidden hallway, and a very familiar (and yes, also unhidden) office door.
    “McCarson, get out of your stupid office and get me some water!”
    Samuel McCarson had worked at the school for many years, more than anybody really bothered to count. In fact the only person who had ever had a job at the school earlier than Samuel was Mortimer, but most people either didn’t know him at all, or prefered to bury him so deeply in their memories, they’d never given him a second thought after he’d left. (There were still a few nightmares, though, but those couldn’t be helped. Although the therapy sessions were really doing wonders.)
    At first, he thought that the voice he’d heard was only in his head. After all, old Twenth couldn’t have come back could he? Was he even still alive? But no, unfortunately, the voice of his former employer wasn’t an unfortunate daydream, it was as real as the disgruntled, red-faced, old man now standing at his doorway. Samuel’s eyes narrowed. He’d hoped this day would never come. He wasn’t the type that generally hated people, but Mortimer Twenth was an exception to this rule.
    However, he did get up and fetch a gl*censored* of water for him. Detestable though Twenth was, he didn’t care to see anybody dying, no, not on his watch, not at his school. Nobody had ever died since that unfortunate incident with the smuggled fireworks. Twenth snatched the gl*censored* ungratfully from him and drained it roughly three seconds, all the while making poor Samuel wait in suspense for the entire time. (Precisely what Twenth had been going for.)
    Foolish though it was, Samuel was still holding onto the hope that maybe, just maybe, Twenth would finish the water, thank him, and quietly go back from whence he came. (The dark pits of Hell, perhaps?) If this had been so, maybe the story would have ended right there, with everyone living happily ever after, and nobody even having to worry about the presence of Mortimer at all, save Samuel. But that, of course, is ridiculous. Once he was done with the water, Mortimer Twenth gave Samuel his best ominous glare (the one he had been secretly practicing in the mirror for weeks) and pushed the now somewhat sweaty but still highly dangerous Liscense in Samuel’s face.
    “You didn’t think I’d give up *that* easily, did you, McCarson?”

NightmareDream

8:40pm May 15 2010

Normal User

It sounds very good, actually. Better than my works, that's certain. I have a l-o-n-g ways to go writing wise. I really can't comment on anything.. Maybe not because there's nothing to be fixed, but because I can't really see anything to comment on. So there you have my opinion.

DecemberMoon

7:23am May 16 2010

Normal User

Although I agree that some constructive criticism couldn't possible go awry in the piece, your comment is still incredibly helpful to me. This had been up for while, and nobody had commented, and I was starting to wonder if it was really stupid or badly written or something. As for the part you wrote about you having a long way to go writing wise, I have the cliche advice of "just keep trying and you'll get it eventually." (And I feel like such a hypocrite saying that because I'm still a very novice writer.) If you'd seen a piece of writing that I'd written last year, I'm completely certain that you would have found plenty of things to comment on.
NightmareDream

5:55pm May 16 2010

Normal User

Haha. Well I try to comment on everybody's things on the writing forums. ^^ And I try to be honest too. I really did enjoy this story you wrote, whether you continue it or not. And I appreciate what you said. :)

Go to page: 1