DON'T EAT TUNA

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
Ping

4:53am Aug 16 2011 (last edited on 4:18am Aug 20 2011)

Normal User

Yellowfin tuna are near threatened due to overfishing. It's a super common canned fish and it's being overconsumed. Sure 'near threatened' does not make it endangered, but with the rate that people are eating it, it's highly likely that it will be endangered soon. We've got to slow down on our consumption and let the tuna get back on it's feet now.

It's possible that yellowfin tuna will become like their relative, the bluefin tuna (which is critically endangered).

btw, if you're all like 'why don't they just farm them omg', they don't because they're too friggin' humongous to put in a farm (it's not that I think you're stupid or anything, I just hear too many people ask stupid questions like this) D<

List of sealife that you also should avoid:

• Cod
  • Haddock
  • Any sort of large shark (they taste really bad anyways)
  • Stingray (stingrays are actually a relative of sharks ;D)
  • Caviar (from sturgeon)
  • Marlin
Oh yeah, just so you guys know. Turtles and tortoises taste like rubber and generally taste bad in my book xD

Fish I think tastes great and sustainable:

• Sea Urchin
  • Turbot and Halibut (substitute for Haddock and cod at chipshops)
  • Mackeral (It's got a very meaty and distinct taste to it)

I tend to avoid any sort of canned fish, since they're mass produced, loads of fish are killed to supply that demand. Although some canned fish are solely put into cans because they taste better preserved or something (like anchovies), it's best to avoid canned fish because food companies don't really care if they die. The label 'dophin friendly' doesn't mean anything by the way.

(the only reason why i made a thread is so that this message will stay up longer, please discuss and bump)

I (HATE)' YOU

Feel the love man D:<

Twintkitty

5:58am Aug 17 2011

Normal User

oAo I dont really eat tuna,but my family does. Spreading the message to them ouo

Thanks for alerting me/us c: 

supernovastar

1:41pm Aug 17 2011

Normal User

Bleurgh. I hate tuna.

Albino Uilus 24/120
BeckyL97

1:48pm Aug 17 2011

Normal User

I am quiate fond of tuna...but this thread really gets the message through......cut down on the tuna!

Adopt one today!
Dragon393

8:09pm Aug 17 2011

Normal User

I haven't eaten tuna lately....but message noted I'll definately keep this in mind :3

~
Lilith

12:27am Aug 18 2011

what about white albacore? I don't think I'm going to want to give up my tuna salad sammiches...I only have them once every couple of months =( but I actually use the white albacore, not the regular tuna, whatever that is.

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚♫ and the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate ♫**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚
InfernoFire

4:29am Aug 18 2011

Normal User

Tuna- Cat food. I dont eat.

Graveyardfox

8:02pm Aug 18 2011

Normal User

I'm with 14bm. xD I don't want to give up my occasional tuna salad sammich. D: Although I eat it so rarely, once every month or so, I can't be doing too much damage. 

My cat on the other hand... >.> 

HypnoxSpazz 5evr
Insane

9:20pm Aug 18 2011

Normal User

I see your point. But tuna is a great, healthy food...Although we could cut down on it some...I do love my tuna, like...alot. xD But I'll try to stop buying so much.

"An Insane is a small creature that zips from person to person at hyper speed, stealing wallets and hearts in equal measure..." -Dmann
Ping

10:50pm Aug 18 2011 (last edited on 10:59pm Aug 18 2011)

Normal User

I actually don't know what White Albacore is. Over here, we only have yellowfin tuna.

Your cats shouldn't eat too much tuna either. It doesn't matter who eats the tuna, it still dies in the end. 

If you actually really love eating tuna, it's okay if you just have a bit once in a while I suppose. I do the same with stingray, I love eating it, but I know it's not sustainable.  So I just have an average of stingray a year. 

Also fish like haddock and cod (which are commonly used for fish and chips) are also threatened. So be careful when you're at the chip shop (most of them tell what kind of fish they're frying anyways). Turbot however, tastes beautiful when deep fried and they're a sustainable species of fish. A similar fish to turbot would be the halibut. 

Here, it's easier to eat fish sustainably because we have a local fish market. No such things as trawlers here. The fishermen don't practice bomb fishing or anything, just a good old net and rod. 

By the way, if you haven't tried eating sea urchin before. Please do, it's very nice; they have a short fishing season though so whenever you get the chance, try it xD

----

Oh yeah, another thing I should put out for ya. Have any of you ever dreamed of going on holiday to a tropical island? Or even retiring there? Well, I've lived on one my entire life and I can tell you that tourists pose a threat to coral reefs. It's quite evident that the white death has taken over near popular hotels. If you see a load of white, dead coral washed up on the beach, there's something wrong.

Fun activities like water skiiing and snorkeling will affect the coral. Coral are very sensitive to changes in temperature and pollution. They are also key to underwater ecosystems, providing habitat for loads of species of fish.

It's also not such a good idea to buy seashells and coral products from tourist shops. Y'see, people who make those sort of things don't find dead shells and coral. They will kill the coral and poor little mollusk that lives in the shell.  So, next time you're at a tropical island, please respect the wild life. 

I (HATE)' YOU

zozane008

11:27pm Aug 18 2011

Normal User

save the fish, yo.

DoodlePicture3\r\n
Lunchboxbaby

1:33am Aug 19 2011

Normal User

I actually love tuna. A lot. Plus the only type of fish I eat is that, catfish, and salmon(if it's in sushi or something). I'll probably eat any kind of fish product. o_o Unless I'm allergic to it for some weird reason or it just tastes bad in general.

Dragon393

5:59pm Aug 19 2011

Normal User

you know what, I'm pretty happy this thread was made, shows some people actually care :3

~
Ping

1:04am Aug 20 2011

Normal User

Thanks Dragon xD

I'm actually really interested in conservation. However, I am quite frustrated with some people who never know anything about ecological systems or even which animals are endangered or not. They'll just say 'omg sav te panda/tiger/wolf!!!1!!!1 They are dying and need ur halp!' (for your information, the gray wolf (which is what most of these people are referring to) is not endangered). Nobody pays attention to smaller, less 'pretty' animals like insects and fish which go extinct without anyone noticing. A bit unfair I think xD

I (HATE)' YOU

Dissector

1:39am Aug 20 2011

Normal User

Hm. I didn't know about tuna being near threatened. I don't like it myself, but I've seen Mother buy a huge can (I think it had five pounds of tuna in it) for her husband's lunch. I'll tell her, but I doubt she'll listen. You wouldn't happen to know if salmon is okay, do you? It makes up a huge part of my diet (generally at least two meals a week) so it would be bad if I were making some sort of huge impact.

As far as conservation I have to agree with you on how small species are overlooked. I certainly see a lot more support for the animals like wolves, pandas, and the big cats. Though, the latter two are justified to some extent. The real problem I see is that people are just jumping on the bandwagons relatively uninformed. With wolves there are some subspecies (such as the Mexican Wolf) which are endangered and I that is where some of the confusion could be. I don't really know of any way that education could be increased, though.

My biggest interest in this sort of topic as of now is vultures. Apparently many species are on the red list. I know most people wouldn't notice them right now, but they play a huge role in the ecosystem. I'm rather fond of them and it's sad to see that they aren't really getting the protection and support that would be needed to protect them from extinction. 

Ping

4:16am Aug 20 2011

Normal User

I think salmon is fine xD

I find it funny because a lot of activists say that 1 species goes extinctevery 20 minutes as part of their campaigns. What interests me is that nobody cares to find out what goes extinct. It's certainly not the panda or tiger that everyone seems to talk about because they've survived for several 20 minutes. So who goes extinct during the 20 minutes before and after I post this? I believe no one cares as long as it's not beautiful or cute. Most of the time they are species of plant or microscopic invertibrae. Even though these are small, they still contribute to the biodiversity. 

I also may as well argue that every specie has it's time to go extinct, it's like death, truly inevitable. So the loss of the species that have gone extinct every 20 minutes may be inevitable. So, why is it so hard to admit that the extinction of the panda is inevitable? 

My mission right now is to take the spotlight off of animals who have more support and attention and show people animals that need to stay on this planet to support others. Fish and other less 'graceful' animals such as the vulture need to be looked after more because they are in a much more delicate situation. In the case of fish, humans have a huge impact on their population because most people eat wild fish. We need to change the aamount of impact we have on their populations so that they will go extinct when they're meant to, not when we make them. 

I (HATE)' YOU

Dissector

5:06am Aug 20 2011

Normal User

Good for me. I'm not so sure what I would do without it. XD

Your post packs quite a bit of punch. While that statistic is rather flawed (there are a lot of things that effect this including unpredictable things such as the weather) the number certainly does run very high. I believe I heard that around 70% of the known bird species in Hawaii have become extinct since humans first arrived. I took a quick look through the extinct in the wild category on the red list site and I saw tons of plants, quite a few fish, multiple birds and frogs, and one species of deer. In addition to that, most species aren't even known, let alone recorded.

As far as the panda goes, the argument for them is rather flawed as is. In addition to habitat loss, they also naturally have an extremely low birth rate. That's just the way it is and as far as human intervention goes, I doubt that a population such as that is ever going to remain stable even with assistance. I certainly don't particularly want them to die, and I know it probably sounds cruel, but I can't help but wonder if the sheer amount of funding dedicated to this may be better suited in other places. I think part of the main reason so much concern is placed upon it is because it is a well-known, popular animal, as well as a national symbol. That's the best sense I can make of it.

Truly it seems like finding ways to educate people about less popular topics, as well as debunk many of the popular myths that many believe, is near impossible. Personally, I plan to study history and I find it near impossible to get anyone else to listen to it or take any interest despite the fact that the same issues that occurred then could occur now and knowing the information could help find solutions and spot problems early on. The only thing people ever tell me is stereotypes or myths, and I've been called a nazi more than once for pointing out the flaws in their statements. I have little doubt that people will probably take you and others supporting causes like you for light, but I can only hope that people will continue trying. That said, best of luck in your mission. I think I should probably leave your thread now as it seems we've derailed a bit from the topic of tuna, but feel free to message me if you'd like to continue the conversation. I've certainly gained quite a bit of information from you either way and I thank you quite a bit for that. ^^

Go to page: 1