He's a pirate! [1x1, lurkers welcome] Rescuing Will from the gallows!

Go to page: 1, 2 Bookmark Thread
Soulyter

10:26pm Jan 2 2012 (last edited on 7:05pm Jan 3 2012)

Normal User

Before he knew it, Lee found himself caught between the look on Bryson's face and the implied accusation of his friend. When Ary stepped in with a generous plate of food, it was obvious that the room had grown somewhat tense. Ary delivered the plate and left quickly, and in the process Lee decided that he did indeed have a confession to make.

"All right," he conceded. "First off, we're not half so proud as wolves 'round here." Lee winked at Bryson. Answers would come in good time. "In fact, I prefer fox. And second..." Lee paused, and his face grew more serious, "It might be time Bryse learned a little more about himself."

"See, I recognized Bryse the minute I saw him," Lee admitted. "We all did, but not because we'd met 'im." Lee leaned forward in his chair, shifting his eyes up to look at the iconically familiar face of the man -- no, still a boy -- who had become his closest friend. "You'd be hard pressed to find a ship's man who doesn't know that face, because it's the same one as did run all across the sky not even a year past. It's famous, that face, s'well as the name Corsair."

Lee glanced at Will in his bed, then back at Bryson. Though it was Will who had asked, Bryson was the reason Lee had decided to talk. This was Bryson's life, his blood, and he deserved to know what it was. Lee snatched and swallowed a morsel of food from Will's plate and took a breath.

"Roderic de Corsair."

The stories about 'im don't give you much to go by," Lee continued quickly, "But people tell of Roderic de Corsair -- Red Roddy, they call him -- doin' everything from burning churches black and slaughtering whole towns to breaking men out of jails by the shipload and stashing hoards grander in value than the royal treasure." Lee scratched his ear and noticed his eyes had moved. They were now locked on his hands rather than on Bryson.

"Accourse, ya can't believe everythin' ya hear." Lee waved his hand halfheartedly. "But one thing everyone knows for sure about Red Roddy--" Lee lowered his voice. It overflowed with respect and even awe, as it so rarely did. "He was legendary," Lee said softly. He sat up a bit.

"Then, 'bout ten months ago now, he straight off an' vanished. Some say 'e was killed, some maintain that he's out there. Plannin', maybe, or keepin' a low profile for reasons we might never know. But I do know one thing, and that's that 'e ain't dead. Know why? It's 'cause he ain't got no kids yet, and someone..." Lee nodded at Bryson, "Someone's gotta pass on that face."

Eiji

11:10pm Jan 2 2012 (last edited on 11:13pm Jan 2 2012)

Normal User

Bryson's breath caught in his throat. Roderic de Corsair. He knew that name. His dad had told him stories about his ancestor, a great grandfather, named Roderic de Corsair. He knew all about the pirate. They were the stories Bryson had thrived on when he was a young boy. They were the stories he had held onto when Dad left him all alone with Mum. They had shaped him. When Mum was passed out drunk on the living room couch, Bryson went out and pretended he was his great ancestor, the infamous Red Roddy, pillaging and mouthing off and running from the law.

"They're rubbish", his mum would say. "Nothin' but rubbish. Don't fill your 'ead with your father's lies."

But Bryson had known that his dad was telling the truth. He had always known in his heart that the stories were real.

Bryson felt hot tears begin to well in his eyes. 

It was William who finally spoke. "He... explained to me that his father used to tell him stories about his great grandfather, Red Roddy the pirate," he said quietly. "I never believed any of it... but..." He was staring at Bryson now, a look of mixed confusion and concern on his face. "But I saw with my own eyes how those men reacted to him." Bryson had let go of his hand to wipe at his eyes. William watched as the young man adjusted the bandana on his head. 

"Bryson..."

Bryson cleared his throat and nodded at Will's plate of food. "You'd better get to eatin' 'at 'fore my cap'n gets it all."

William looked down at his plate. He slowly picked up a piece of bread and began eating. Bryson stood up, gave a small, quick two-fingered salute to his captain, and left the room in search of the fiery woman he'd come to trust with his life. He needed someone to talk to.

Soulyter

11:41pm Jan 2 2012 (last edited on 12:38am Jan 3 2012)

Normal User

Rosette had returned from her service as a diversion some time ago, and was, at that moment, resting in her quarters. It was one of the few private rooms on the ship, and had been awarded to her "by virtue of chivalry", as she put it. The others were of the simple opinion that she had bullied her way into it, but for the most part, they didn't mind.

She was writing notes in a book she kept on the small writing desk she had managed to procure for herself when she saw a shadow cross the door. "Come in, Bryse," she told the shadow. No one else would come to her so quietly at this late time of day.

---***---***---

"I guess you really had better finish that," Lee said with a distracted smile. His eyes were still fixed on his hands, one of which was tugging slightly at the inner lining of his worn leather vest. The two men were silent for several minutes. Nothing changed but the amount of food on Will's plate. Then,

"Rod was a good man." Lee sat up a bit and looked at Will. His ex
pression was clear. Honest. He clasped his hands. "Family friend." He paused, then smiled a bit. "Father's friend, I should say. Mother'd 'ave nothing to do with him. Took me in after they left. Me brother'd gone to stay with our uncle, but that wasn't for me. Beggar got to be damn near like a second brother t'me by the time we went our ways. Used to meet him. 'Ere an' there." Once again Lee's gaze had strayed downward. Once again his hands were fiddling with his vest. "Dunno what's 'appened to him now."

Eiji

12:05am Jan 3 2012

Normal User

Bryson walked into Rosette's quarters and carefully shut the door behind him.

"Rosie," he said quietly, his eyes still wet. "We got Will. I guess you know 'at. ...Somefin' 'appened in the prison. Will wanted an explanation. Lee told 'im abou'... Roderic de Corsair. I know Lee's told you abou' 'im. Prob'ly more'n he jus' told Will. I... Dad always said I 'ad Roderic's face. Made me smile real big when I was little." Bryson paused and took a deep, shaky breath. "Those stories Dad told me were what made me want to become what I am now. But... somefin' is still botherin' me. When Dad left, 'e... 'E told me 'e was goin' off to be a pirate. ...I was so young, so wrapped up in those stores... that I believed 'im. But..."

Bryson choked, and put his hand over his mouth. He didn't want Rosie to see him crying. He hadn't cried once since he had joined this crew. But if someone was going to see him break down, it might as well be her.

"But 'e was lyin', wasn't 'e?"

William stared down at his empty plate. His stomach had finally stopped aching, and he felt quite full and satisfied. Well, he still felt like he was in a dream. But he figured that couldn't be helped. He was still sort of praying he was.

Lee's words echoed in his ears. The pirate had known Bryson's ancestor. They'd been like brothers. The very fact that Bryson's father's stories were true was enough to make his head spin. Now he sitting here listening to a sky pirate tell him that he had been raised by the man in those stories. It was insanity. There was no way this was happening. He was really asleep in his bed back in modern London, safe and sound. He had to be. But, no matter how hard William tried, he couldn't wake up.

"...Is that why you wanted him?" William asked suddenly, pushing his plate aside. He gave Lee a long, meaningful look.

Soulyter

12:37am Jan 3 2012 (last edited on 7:42pm Jan 3 2012)

Normal User

Rosette had remained perfectly still while Bryson talked. Now, though, she twisted to face him in her chair. She knew she meant something to the boy, but she hadn't ever thought to place herself in this position.

Rosette knew it would be easy to lie to Bryson. After all, she knew that, whether he ever got back to his original time or not, he would never see his father again. But this boy was special to her, and she couldn't bring herself to tell him such a lie. Bryson deserved respect. So, after a long moment's pause, she told him the truth. "Yeah, dear," Rosette sighed. "I'm afraid he was."

---***---***---

Lee hadn't expected that question. Though, now that he thought about it again, it was fairly obvious. And there was a little truth in it. Lee thought for a while about his answer, and then told William the most complete truth he could.

"At first, maybe. Maybe that's why I figured he'd be a good pirate. Good crewmate. But," Lee shook his head, "But that died off right as soon as talk started 'bout him leavin' home." Lee made sure to keep his gaze focused on Will. The man had to know how serious he was. "I didn't know 'bout his family, Will. He only told us that later. I took him because I saw how much he wanted it. It wasn't some game to him, never was."

Lee paused to think for another few moments. "You might not understand," he said, his eyes still filled with intensity and still fixed on William. "For you, being a pirate is probably just as foolish a dream as fighting dragons or flying to the moon. But for us," Lee raised his voice a bit. His ex
pression retained all its intensity, but had shifted from William to the wall behind him. "It's real, and it's strong. Once you get a look at the world, all the pure freedom out there... Can't get away, can ya? Fills you up 'til you can't take any more. Just gotta get out."

Having seemingly run out of words, Lee returned his eyes to his hands once more before looking back at William. "Saw it in his eyes. He was hungry for it, so I fed 'im. Just like I'm feedin' you." Lee nodded at the empty plate. "Piracy's in his blood, Will, and don't I know it."

Eiji

1:16am Jan 14 2012 (last edited on 1:17am Jan 14 2012)

Normal User

Bryson swallowed hard and brushed his shirt off. "Yeah," he said simply. "I figured as much. Thanks, Rosie. I'm gonna go see to Will now." He gave Rosette a half-hearted wave and walked out of the quarters.

He'd think about his father later. He had something more important to take care of right now. Something right in front of him.

Something that hadn't left him.

"Freedom," William said bitterly. "I see people like you every day taking their freedom for granted." He paused, his gaze glued to the wall. When he spoke again, his voice was quiet. "His mother's an alcoholic. I began tending to her when you took-- ...when Bryson joined you. She's in a different place now. A home for people with her kind of problem. I should be happy she's getting help... I should be happy she's out of my hands."

William looked up at Lee, regret filling his big blue eyes. "But she was the only thing I had left. I never should have let you take him. He... He'll die out here with you barbaric criminals!" William weakly sat up, his arms shaking from the effort. What made Lee so much better than him? Why did Bryson choose to leave London instead of staying with his mother? ...What a stupid question. William knew why. But knowing didn't make his heart feel any better. 

Soulyter

1:40am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

"Will," Lee said in a low voice, "Lie down. You need rest." At the same time, Lee knew William wasn't going to accept that. He also knew that, if he played fair, he was in grave danger of losing his first mate -- and his best friend. But he didn't know what else to do. He couldn't just leave Will. Not only was Lee sure the man would die without their help, but he knew what it felt like to lose all you held dear. And there was no doubt to Lee that Bryson was very dear to Will.

Lee stood up, restlessness finally overcoming him. He began to pace the small room. William had known Bryson, Lee imagined, for a long time, whereas Lee had only known him for less than two months. Nonetheless, the next words Lee brought forth were some of the hardest he'd ever said.

"It was always Bryse's decision to come here," Lee said. "And if he wants to go back, that's his decision, too." Lee already had a family in his mismatched crew. Will had nothing. For that, though the thought of it hurt him, Lee would give up his best friend. His brother.

Eiji

2:19am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

William looked down, his hands gripping the blanket covering his legs. "He's not going to come back to London," the cop replied softly. "You're right, it was always his decision. And he decided to go with you."

Bryson, his heart too heavy to take much more, opened the door and walked into the sick room. He smiled as Will looked up. Will didn't smile back.

Dad left me, Bryson thought, untying his bandana and stuffing it into his pocket. He ran a hand through his short messy hair. An' I left Will

"Will, I..." Bryson walked forward and sat down in one of the chairs by the bed. "C'mon... I know you got tired of chasin' me an' dealin' with all the trouble I caused. Now you won't 'afta anymore, Will." 

"And being alone is so much better, Bryson?" William practically snarled. "I saw you every damn day for years. I knew you before I ever got involved in law enforcement. We were best friends, weren't we? That's why I never caught you. That's why I never turned you in. You were my best friend. You were my only friend. Do you know your mother's in a home now? You left your life behind. And for what, Bryson? For these scoundrels, these dogs you call your new friends? If someone else comes along and dangles something pretty in front of your face, will you leave them as easily as you left me?"

William's face was red when he was finished, and it took a while for him to catch his breath. Spots of light danced in his vision, and he slowly sank back down to rest his head on the pillow. He squeezed his eyes shut.

Bryson stood dumbstruck, his mouth open slightly. He stared at Will for a long time before finally turning his eyes to his captain. Will had never acted like this. He'd definitely never said anything like this before. It was true that Bryson had thought of Will as his best friend. Like Will, he only had one friend. But Will had always denied the friendship when Bryson mentioned it. He'd come up with some silly excuse for why he never turned Bryson in. But Bryson always knew the truth, and it was something he held onto tightly.

I left 'im.

Bryson's heart suddenly felt much heavier than it had a few minutes ago. He looked at Lee, silently pleading for help.

Soulyter

2:57am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

For just a moment too long, Lee stood staring back at Bryson, equally speechless. Finally, though, he knew the problem. He knew why it wasn't as easy for Bryson to leave as it had been for the others. But, despite that, he still desperately wanted to keep the kid on board. And almost as badly, he didn't want Bryson to lose his dream. Not when he'd already tasted it.

Lee took a deep breath. Captain or not, he couldn't stand to make the decision himself. "When I left London," he began, "it was because there was nothing there for me. No one'd heard from my parents in over ten years." Lee pushed a hand through his hair. At some point years ago, it had settled in him that his parents were not just missing, but dead. "My brother and I'd gone our ways long ago. And my--" Lee faltered. He didn't want to admit to Bryse just yet that he'd known Red Roddy. That deserved its own talk. "My... caretaker set off after his own life. Couldn't keep him down." Lee's eyes softened almost imperceptibly. He looked at Bryson. Once again, though Will was the cause of it, this story was for his sake.

"Some people, you can't keep 'em tied. It's not right." God, don't leave me, Bryse, Lee shouted in his thoughts. He'd never say it out loud. To do that would mean he was tying Bryson down himself. And that was the last thing he wanted to do. After another moment's pause, Lee continued. "Most people don't turn to piracy unless they got nothin' else. The only homes they got are ships. Only family's their crew. Only friends, too, usually." Lee glanced at Will. "Most people aren't leaving anything good behind."

Eiji

3:43am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

(Changing up Bryse's Cockney.)

William pushed himself to his feet and slowly made his way over to Lee. He was inches shorter than the pirate, and he had to look up to meet the other man's eyes. His hands were balled into fists, but he had no idea what he was going to do. What could he do? Lee could easily kill him. And these pirates were his only way home. 

William's hands didn't move. He stood shaking, glaring hotly up at Lee. He stumbled a bit as the spots appeared in his vision again, but he did his best to keep himself steady.

Bryson rushed over and pulled him away from the captain. "You took it the wrong way," Bryson insisited, holding William back. "He didn' mean it like that, Will."

"He didn't mean it any damn way," William replied, trembling. "He left it open. And he did it for a reason. Let go of me, Bryson!"

"No! Will, jus' listen to me!"

"Let go of me!"

"You think you could take 'im even if I did let go of you?"

Slap.

Bryson released Will and put his hand on his stinging cheek. He didn't expect that the smaller man could hit so hard. "Will, I..."

"Save it," Will said, tears and confusion in his eyes. He sank down against the wall. "Just take me home."

"Will..."

"Just take me home, Bryson. Then you can be with your family."

Bryson swallowed hard and knelt down next to Will. "I can't leave this crew," he said softly, just loud enough for Lee to hear. "They are my family. But so are you. An' so is Mum. You said she's bein' looked after now... So I don't have to worry anymore. But you don't have anybody, Will. Back home, I mean. Ain't that right? You were always complainin' about your dad..."

William stood up, using Bryson's shoulder for support, and walked back over to his bed. He lay down on his side, his back to the two men in the room.

Bryson sighed and rubbed his eyes tiredly. Something bigger was bothering Will. He could just tell. But he couldn't figure out what it was. "Lee, if we ain't movin' already, let's get goin'. It's late. We should get some sleep, Will especially."

Soulyter

4:03am Jan 14 2012 (last edited on 4:13am Jan 14 2012)

Normal User

Can't leave Will, can't leave the crew... Lee stood still, weighing his options. One of them was becoming increasingly clear to him. He had discredited it before. William was born for a comfortable life. Even the stress of police work seemed too much for him. But now, Lee had a reason to reconsider. He hardly even heard Bryson's words. "Rosette can handle it," he said dismissively. And indeed she was.

There was more than one kind of dream people went chasing in the clouds.

Lee's gaze was fixed on Will's back. "Bryse, go get us airborne." He had to talk to the cop alone.

Eiji

4:38am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

Bryson looked at his captain, hesitated for barely a heartbeat, and then quickly left the room. Lee knew what he was doing.

William became tense as he heard Bryson leave. Now he was alone in a room with the captain of a pirate ship. Brilliant. He kept his back to the other man, trying hard to look like he was sleeping.

Soulyter

4:52am Jan 14 2012

Normal User

(Conveniently ignoring Bryse's half of things since neither of us have the energy to work out how to get an antique airship off the ground. Haaahaha.)

Lee sat back down. He knew he would do well to tread lightly around William, but he couldn't help but relax a bit once Bryson was gone. After all, it was Bryson who looked up to him, not Will. And he always did his best to set a good example for Bryse, the kid who, he now knew, had never had much of a role model.

"You seem like a smart guy, Will," Lee said. Half his mind was still on his plans, like any good captain's should be. Especially when it was about something this important. "Sensible. Logical. Good eyes, maybe." They certainly darted about enough. Lee did not say this out loud.

He cleared his throat. Best to be direct. "It so happens I'm in the market for a navigator. Whoever it is, 'e'll be working under me. Bryse, too." Lee couldn't stop himself from smiling a little at the thought. The ex
pression quickly cleared from his face as he spoke the same words that had lured Bryson away from home. "Join us," Lee said. "I'm not a bad man, no matter what you might think. If you doubt me, look at Bryse. He sure trusts us well enough." Lee fell silent then and watched William, waiting for a reaction.

Go to page: 1, 2