'Starting with the letter....' button for pet search

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
NekoLemur

12:56am Nov 14 2009

Normal User

i really want to find a pet on pet search but when i get on i cant get to the name cause of all these graveyard pets all i want to do is get to the letter C! it would make things easier to search names on pets search and find out where they are!

wat do you think?

Call me Spyro plz! Motto: Growing old is invetible, Growing up is optional!
Yaizhbeen

5:23am Nov 17 2009

Normal User

Full support.

username

4:58pm Nov 17 2009

Normal User

fully support. but within the day there will be a m*censored* disagree b/c apparently its lazy to want to make things simpler, easier or less time consuming. the whole "it takes away from the feeling of accomplishment when you find your goal pet" nonsense...
McFlan

6:04pm Nov 17 2009 (last edited on 6:08pm Nov 17 2009)

Normal User

Meh, I'd rather you be able to just find the pet on a pet search. As in, you type the name in and click 'search'. It's the same thing as the user search, basically.

I mean, what exactly is the point of making it much less convenient for your users to find the names they want? I agree with username on this. I don't think it makes you lazy, out of all things. The suggestion is quite reasonable, to be honest. :/ Who honestly likes digging through the search the way it is now?

I don't completely agree with this, because if they were going to implement something to make searching for names easier, I'd rather they just put in a pet search. Decent enough idea, though.

ForgottenShadows

2:27am Nov 20 2009

Normal User

thank you

I have Piplup the Ahea my only Ahea i own! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
blitser

8:29pm Nov 21 2009

Normal User

I love McFlan's idea here. :) It would be really really helpful.

InfernoFire

2:03am Nov 22 2009

Normal User

I totally agree with this ideas would make it way easier to find pets

Yaizhbeen

5:56am Nov 22 2009

Normal User

That whole "people would get bored and quit Res if it was easy to find their dream name" is rubbish. I mean, the way it is now I do not search for names at all, simply because it is a pain in the ..., not to mention that my computer freezes before getting even near the letters I look for. So really, digging through the search is not what keeps me on Res. So actually if a user friendly search would be added, I would have one more thing to do on Res, than now, because I would actually use it. If they do not want to add a direct name search that's fine with me, but really a jumping option to the selected page on the search or to the selected first letter would be greatly appreciated.

Yoshi

10:49am Nov 22 2009 (last edited on 10:53am Nov 22 2009)

Normal User

The finding names instantly and therefore getting dreams either fulfilled or shot down ridiculously quickly isn't the only reason, and most certainly not the biggest. There's a sort of strategy to the ACS, where the people who actually take the time to look through it have a bit of an advantage. The graveyard search is a particularly good example of this; now that pets become nameless if they're left dead too long, keeping an eye on dead pets provides an amazing opportunity to nab awesome names, with enough patience and diligence.

Now, think if the ACS was gotten rid of and replaced with a name search. Then, you wouldn't have that anymore. Finding and claiming names before someone else did would be simply luck, because you'd always be guessing at what names could be for sale or dead - just like hatching can be, if you don't have anything in mind. And if a name like Night or Soul were for sale for a really low price, it would get bought up in no time. Stumbling upon an awesome deal would become more and more scarce, because all the awesome names would be claimed already. Suddenly, the name market goes through a buying spree, then there are drastically fewer names actually for sale. Ranchers that benefit are happy about the buying while it lasts, then they're right back to nothing.

Owners of great names would probably get more hara-ssment for their pets, too. Right now, people have to put a bit of effort into finding those names, so fewer people actually find them and end up asking 'Is [insert name of a pet on profile or in showroom] for sale?' sometimes even despite warnings that the pets most definitely are not, and that asking will do nothing. But then, if everyone can find them with nothing more than a click, suddenly that person will get more asking, and more having to tell them no. If there's ever a name search, I feel terribly sorry for whomever owns Wolf. I get enough asking from people who notice Wolfeh.

And just so ya know, there is already a way to jump pages. If you go to the ACS and click to go to another page, at the end of the url a phrase of sc
ript will be added - '&page=[number]'. Using that makes it quite easy, in my opinion, to jump around and find whatever you want
, especially since v2 came along with its 'Any' feature and made things quite a lot easier than they used to be. Usually only takes me a few minutes to find a name. Heck, if you don't want to do it yourself, I'd find it for you. I love looking through the ACS.

In fact. [link] In a few hours it may move into the end of the B's because of people hatching, but I got right at the beginning of the C's for you, Neko. ;o

username

12:12pm Nov 22 2009

Normal User

well you gotta think about this too, yea people who own great names would get a little more harr*censored*ment. but if a person has really great names in their shop and nobody is able to find them b/c it takes forever to find those names even if you do skip through the pages, then whats the point in having them for sale anyway? true we'd find pets easier... those who want to take their time would still be able to. the res ecomony sucks right now b/c people don't buy that many pets. it would help the economy if users were able to find the pet they want easier to buy it instead of just not looking for it or giving up b/c they can't find the owner.
Yoshi

12:28pm Nov 22 2009

Normal User

But then people with average names get overlooked. I doubt a shop like this [link] with what I'd say are pretty good names, a few of which I bought myself, would get much benefit from a name search. For the most part, only real-word and real people names would get many searches, and not everyone has those.

Lunartwist

2:23pm Dec 4 2009

Normal User

I don't really agree on the searching by beginning letters...that just seems even more complicated than it would to search by species/color/gender. Maybe with them all combined it would but...

But I DO like the idea of just being able to search by pet names. You could do so many things with a name search like:

*Find pets with names that you want that are for sale

*Find pets with fan names from TV shows or books or things that match yours that you can roleplay with

*Search old pets you used to own to see how they're doing. Wonderful way to quell nervous feelings when you had a pet in the auctions, and its not with the owner that won the auction. "Gah! Where'd he go?" Good way to make sure a pet didn't get STUCK somewhere in a glitch or something

Also, I'm not sure I see the point that searching pet names would lead to hara-ssment or anything. If any of you belong to any other pet sites, most of those have a search option to look up pets by name. In the years I've belonged to those sites, I've never been hara-ssed once for having a good pet name, even when good pet names are scarce (like on a certain pet site that start with "N" and is full of preteen noobs). I mostly get things like "Oh way you have -insert name here-! You're so lucky!" or "Oh, you have -insert pet name here- and I have -insert pet name here-, can they be friends or roleplay?" I think, this being a smaller community full of more intelligent people than MOST pet sites, the majority would know that if a pet isn't for sale, then its NOT for sale, unless otherwise specified. I have yet to see any rude or stupid people here. :)

Also, I don't see if ruining rancher economy either. YES pets will be searched for specific names and bought. Maybe even resold if it was bought at a good price. But I doubt everyone knows exactly what pet and what color and what name they want. Unless they're stubborn and die-hard motivated to get ONLY one certain pet name, I honestly think most people would just continue to browse rancher shops until they found something decent that they liked.

Maybe if people are so worried about being overshadowed, why don't we have some sort of rancher shop list or something? Or a rancher shop directory where everyone's rancher shops are listed. Things like username, the size of the rancher shop, and how many pets they have for sale, could be displayed. People could browse all the user shops as they pleased. This would also help finding shops that actually HAVE pets in them. I don't know how many rancher shops I look up before I actually find one that has something for sale in it.

Anyway, I think adding more user-friendly and convienient searches would be a good thing, considering we already have very little in the way of searches as it is. More organization and more ways to locate things that you need would just make this site even more fun to play. :)

Go to page: 1