The Story of Flannan Isle: A Ghost's Point of View

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
Snufkin

9:48am Jul 15 2012

Normal User

Aaaall righty then~

Basically a while ago for an English class we were given the task of writing what we thought happened to the three lighthouse keepers on Flannan Isle which sparked the poem. We could write a short story, news report, anything. I came up with the idea of writing it from the point of view of someone who had previously died on the island and was waiting for the other three to pass on and keep them company. It was fun c8

But anyway, yesterday I was given it back since we broke up and got EVERYTHING back [and by that I mean everything I've done over the past year and that is a LOT to carry]. I read over it again and realised how much I like it, so I thought I'd share it with you lot and see what you think ^.^

I highly suggest you read the poem first, as if will make a lot more sense.
The original poem can be found tle="" target="">HERE

-*- My writing shall be on the next post -*-

hi
Snufkin

10:14am Jul 15 2012

Normal User

[[Just to point out, the stuff in italics is your actions and thoughts. The regular print is what Alexander is saying. Enjoy!]]

Gather round, children, gather round,
Hear the story of Alexander Cround.
Been here for years, can't be fun,
Watching the men as each passes on.

Welcome to Flannan Isle! I once used to work here, you know. I loved it; tending the light, polishing the lenses, cleaning and washing. Oh, I haven;t introduced myself, have I? I am, or rather was, Alexander Cround. That's right - I am a ghost.

You have joined me on a rather sad day, I'm afraid. The Fates have promised me that three more ghosts will be joining me, and I have the strongest feeling that it will be those three right there. They work in the lighthouse now, but the Fates have sworn. The Fates are never wrong!

Do excuse me, but I have been alone on this island for over 60 years now, and I'm starting to get a little lonely. At least you have come to join me for a while. It's simply awful. Nothing but the sea and rocks, and three people to mock me without knowing it.

You seem puzzled, my dear child. Ah! I see why now. You don't understand how you living people can mock me unknowingly. Let me explain. Every time you eat, my permanently empty stomach rumbles. Every time you hug or comfort each other, it exaggerates my loneliness even more. I'm starting to think I can't bear it anymore.

Ooh, I think it's happening! Can you hear that singing? That's the Fates. They said they would give notice when the time came. Let us go down to the lighthouse, shall we?

Ah look, there's one of the men, working on the landing stage. Can you see him? I think his name is John... John Barker, that's right. There's another, on his way back from fishing. We better hurry; I don't want to miss any of this! Oh, don't give me that look. I know it sounds cruel, but if you had been alone for as long as I have you would understand. 

This here, making dinner, is Eric May. The man we passed on the way in is Joseph Clarke. Here he comes! Watch carefully, you may be questioned about this one day...

Closely you watch the two men, Eric and Joseph, talking. Joseph sits down at the table, still with his overcoat on, to warm his hands next to the fire. Eric places meat, bread and cheese on the table ready for dinner. Alexander tuts, making you start.

These men aren't anything like they used to be. They haven't even noticed that the clock has stopped! It needs winding again, and we ghosts can't do it, can we?!

You let out a chuckle at Alexander's enthusiasm for his old job, and turn back to the scene at hand. All of a sudden, you hear a blood-curdling scream from somewhere outside. The men in the lighthouse cast a glance at each other, and Joseph leaps up, knocking over his chair. Together they race out of the kitchen, Eric not bothering not bothering to pick up his overcoat.

Ah, this is exciting, isn't it? Such a special honour to witness this, you should be grateful! Come, come, let us keep on.

You follow Alexander as he zooms along the path, disturbingly interested in the destiny of the three men. A storm is raging outside, the wind battering the rocks along with the waves. The cold is so biting, Eric does a double take and you can see in his eyes the debate in his head whether or not he should go back. Another scream makes up his mind.

Your heart seems to skip a beat as you notice that a huge slab of rock has been dislodged from the cliff face, crashing down the steps to the landing dock. The metal railings are all bent out of shape, and the lighthouse keepers are tripping over their feet in their haste to reach John.

Down on the landing dock, John screams again. He is hanging from a ledge,  just above the waves, crying and begging for a miracle to save him. Eric and Joseph reach the platform, and even above the wind you can hear their gasps as the scene plays out beneath them. Grabbing a box of rope, Eric throws two down and coils another around his arm.

Guessing his plan, Joseph joins his companion in clambering down the steep cliff side with only a rope each to stop them from falling.

Here it comes!

Alexander's words barely register in your mind as your gaze drifts towards the huge wave heading for the island. You heart jumps into your throat. This is it... you think, wishing you could warn the men of their fate. The wave hits the island just as you decide to close your eyes, washing the men to their watery dooms.

It is done. Do not cry my friend, it was meant to be! I will take good of their spirits forever. I promise you. Now, I best be off. We don't want them returning to a seemingly empty island now, do we? Farewell, my dear child. I wish you the very best.

Gather round, children, gather round,
Hear the story of Alexander Cround.
Been here for years, can't be fun,
Watching the men as each passes on.

hi
Go to page: 1