The Reaper's Child.

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
Twintkitty

8:34am Apr 8 2012 (last edited on 8:36am Apr 8 2012)

Normal User

Note:
So like, the
other thread got all glitchy...

Chapter one.

x -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- x

I raised the wooden scythe and swiped
it over the limp, pale body twice and raised the ob
ject to the sky. I sighed;
this was finally the last dead body to reap before I called it a day.

Oh sorry, I almost forgot to introduce myself. My name is Riley, and I am the
daughter of the Grim Reaper. My father has decided that perhaps it was time for
me to master the art of reaping.

Dead bodies are such a pain. These humans always decide to die at the wrong
time, at the wrong place. The last place I want to find myself at two A.M. is
by the roadside. Which is where I am now. At two in the morning.

I had to control myself from screaming at my father when he woke me up, but
then I realized that he had also done the same for the forty or so years he has
been living. My mother, Desmonda Reaper, is gravely ill at the moment, and my
father is currently emotionally unstable at the thought of my mother and her
possible sudden death.

I turn around. What used to be two cars became a scrap of metal, and it took me
quite a while for me to remove the body from the car without wounding the soul
any further for reaping. I hear silent sobs, and I fix my gaze on a little girl
sitting next to the dead body. "Will I not see Daddy again?" She
asked, her innocent eyes sparkling with tears. "Mommy's already gone.
Please don't take Daddy too."

I tilt my head and lower my scythe. The girl was now an orphan. I knelt down,
so our eyes were at the same level. "I'm Riley. What's your name?"

She wiped away her tears. "Jane. I'm six."

I could feel my heart crumbling like hers. "I'm fourteen. And I hate to
break it to you, little Jane, but you will not get to see your Daddy
anymore."

"Really?"

Oh, dear Reaper.

I am not so easily disturbed by a death; I've gotten used to this already in my
past two weeks of reaping. But somehow, I couldn't help but hug the crying
Jane, and there we sat for the night, mourning the dead.

Note: Chapter one of The Reaper's Child! c: Please critique and enjoy,
for I am intent on continuing this for quite a while.

Twintkitty

4:54am Apr 10 2012

Normal User

It was a bright and sunny day, the sun was shining and the birds were singing...
Nah, you didn't think I'd really say that, did you? (And if you did, let me just tell you that the wall over there and your face are a match made in heaven. You may now kiss the bride.)
I decided to take Jane into the tree place - what do humans call this again? Nevermind that for now. I actually had to carry her there since she was too weak from exhaustion - and for a six-year-old, she was rather thin and light. I don't know if that's a good or bad yet.
"Why did you bring me here, big sister? Daddy said I'm not supposed to follow anyone."
Oh darn, this girl was cute. Nevertheless, I put her down, and crouch down so that my eyes met hers without any one of us having to look up or down. "But daddy isn't here."
"I guess."
I smile and offer my hand. She places her small hand into my palm and we walk.
We walk for what seems to be twenty minutes before I stop at a large oak. I let go of her hand.
"Please don't leave me too?"
I put my finger to her lips. "Never."
She keeps silent as she watches me climb onto a low branch of the tree, then I offer my hand again and help her up. I made her climb onto my back as I hopped swiftly from branch to branch . Once I reached a rather impressive height, I placed her down on the thick branch.
"I'm scared, big sister."
"There's nothing to be scared of when I'm around."
Her whining quietens down and I look out from where we were perched. "Do you feel alone sometimes?"
She nods. "When daddy went to sleep. I only had him after mommy left."
I kept quiet. "Daddy may not be able to wake up. Unless..."
A thought struck me. Maybe I could try to take her home, and show her how new souls were created. Maybe she could see her daddy again.
"Tell me, Jane, do you want to have a little brother?"
Note: You may notice that I actually used colors for the dialogues c: Each color represents their personality. Many color charts differentiate, but there's a certain color chart I use to represent the characters.

Twintkitty

3:12am Apr 15 2012

Normal User

The look on Jane's face is immediate; priceless. Her eyes sparkle with enthusiasm, suspicion and curiosity all at once.
"How?"
I say nothing but place her on my back and swiftly jump off the branch. She cringes and tightens her grip on me, but relaxes as I run through the forest, the pines whispering peace through their leaves. A warm breeze blows past, embracing us like a beloved child.
The journey back to my home was rather swift -- down a cave near the ruins where a bombing had taken place years before. That was when we started reaping the souls.
I take her down to the lab where a few dozen times thousand glass vials stood. Jane reached out to touch one, but I place my hand on her arm gently. "You don't want to risk losing your daddy for ever, do you?"
She shakes her head.
My father strides in. His cloak falls over his face as usual, and his scythe is held high and menacing. Jane huddles behind me.
She starts crying. My father steps closer.
"Do not let me remove your name as a candidate for the heir of the Reaper family, Riley."
And with that, he strides out of the room.
I squinted my eyes; I was never going to let my brother, Claudius become the heir anyway.
Do you wonder why I haven't mentioned him so far? The disgraceful jerk just plays around everyday. He is seventeen but acts like an eight-year-old. He often murders to reap souls, and then tells my father that it was a rather unfortunate day. One day I will avenge his victims.
I opened a bottle - the orange mist inside seems restless. It hits the glass walls with such great impact it was starting to show scratches and even cracks. Holding the golden handle of a small wooden box in my hands, I pulled it and there was a few hundred sets of plastic bottles, tinted pink and blue. "Pick a blue one, Jane," I whisper. She wastes no time in fishing out one from near the back of the box. I smile and take it from her hands - a pink embryo lay inside, swimming in the water, which was the color of the sunset. The remains of an orange egg were scattered on the bottom of the glass.
"What is this, big sister?"
"It's a baby." I do not tell her any more, but all the glass bottles here contained embryos which either met with a miscarriage or they were aborted. We often found quite a few at the birthing rooms and the nursery at the hospital.
I poured the orange liquid into the bottle with the embryo. They played around for a while, and the more the orange liquid moved around in the water the embryo swam in, the more diluted it became until finally, there wasn't an orange mist anymore, but the water had became orange. The embryo doubles in size, then triples, and finally it makes a few cracks in the glass as it grows bigger. I carefully smash the glass, holding the embryo in my hand after all the liquid was gone, and watched as it stopped doubling in size.
"Jane, this is your daddy, as a baby."

alice11TheAwesome

1:24am Apr 17 2012

Normal User

((hehehe Just saying, exelent story and guess what! My name Is Rylee and my dad has a grim reaper tatoo >:D))

Okay..... What ever floats ya goat
Twintkitty

4:40am Apr 18 2012

Normal User

[ Oh god ! o: That's such a coincidence. Thanks for the kind comment, alice/Rylee :3 ! I really appreciate it. ]

alice11TheAwesome

7:30pm Apr 18 2012

Normal User

((Your welcome!! Hey, add me sometime! ))

Okay..... What ever floats ya goat
Dreamieslove

9:25pm Jun 8 2012

Normal User

Oh.my.god.
I absolutely adored that story!
Do you plan on writing more? I would love to read a sequel :3
Go to page: 1