Leo's Story ~Ch. 1

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
DemonGoddess

2:44pm Jul 7 2012 (last edited on 2:51pm Jul 7 2012)

Normal User

I'd like to know if this story is good enough to continue or if it needs work as of now. Thank you for your help in advance everyone :)

The sun sank low over the horizon as a small shadow stood in a clearing. The sound of wood crackling was all around him as smoke filled the air, making his appearance unnoticeable.  Wind whistled around him carrying clouds with it that covered the newly rising moon. Little light penetrated the mix of smoke and cloud, but what did gave little light to the shadow. He looked to be maybe ten, with  reddish brown hair that  seemed to go everywhere in an adorable way. He had bright golden eyes that seemed oddly calm with the sound of fire to be all around him. 

“*Leone Leander. Cosa stai facendo? la vostra intenzione di impostare questa casa in fiamme!!” a voice called from behind him. Turning around, he saw a women standing behind him. She had short, velvet colored hair that framed her face well. Her eyes were a deep pool of black that seemed to never end.

“Mom…. I asked you to call me Leo… remember?” the boy growled lowly, annoyed. His mother didn’t answer him. Sighing, Leo tried again,  “*mamma ... Ti ho chiesto di chiamare Leo ... mi ricordo?” This time, she understood, but before she could answer him, a tall man came up behind her. He had black hair with glowing red eyes that pierced through the night. 

“Leone. Don’ talk to your mother like that. You know she doesn’t understand English. She never learned. You need to behave and speak Italian to her, like you were raised to speak. Your lucky I decided you could go to school to learn how to speak it. If I didn’t then you wouldn’t know at all. Your making me regret my decision and you know what happens when I regret something that I have done… don’t you.”

The boy shivered. “ yes sir. I don’t wish to make you regret anything. I forget sometimes, that’s all. Please forgive me father….” his eyes grew wide and childish as he gazed up at his father, who just stared at him with cold, uncaring eyes.  His mother stood there looking back and forth confused as she knew only how to speak her native language. Leo’s family was Italian and lived just outside a small town. His father and mother had moved out to a two story house.  It was small though, with a living room and kitchen downstairs along with his parent’s master bedroom and a bathroom. The upstairs part consisted of two bedrooms, one for Leo, and one for his older brother Saggeio, who went by the name Sage for short. There was one other room in the house that neither boy wanted to visit and there mother didn’t even know the purpose of. The basement. The basement was the boy’s ‘punishment’ room when they were in trouble, or when their father regretted doing something for them. He would always take them down there and make them regret whatever they had done wrong. He had only taken Sage once before though and that hadn't lasted very long. Leo had always been his favorite play toy.

“ Now head home and put that fire out. Now.” his father growled as he took his wife’s hand and lead her away toward there home.  He didn’t even wait to see if  Leo followed his orders. He didn’t have to.

Leo sighed and mumbled something under his breathe and suddenly, the fire and all traces of it were gone. The wind died down and the moon’s light lit the clearing quickly, making the house behind him stand out against the trees that surrounded the back side of it. He had just learned how to start a fire and control it, and now all his hard work was gone. He knew he would learn again, for that’s what he had been teaching himself every since he learned that him and his brother were both mages and that they had the power to control the elements and maybe even more if they learned. Sighing, he turned and headed toward his home, fearing what lay waiting for him tonight.

Laughter sounded from the kitchen as Leo sat upstairs in his room, listening to his father and mother as they talked and laughed with each other.  His father had yet to punish him yet and it worried him. His father never forgot about what one of his children did wrong. He always made things ‘right’, no matter how much pain and torture it caused them.

“What’s wrong with you Leo? You act like you just saw a ghost.” Leo had almost forgot that his brother had walked in a few moments before to get a book that he had been using to help him as he learned to use his powers as a mage better.

“Umbra is going to get me later. I just know it.”

“What did you do this time to make him mad? He seems happy as can be now.” Sage reassured him as he found the book he had been searching for.

“I started a fire and talked to mom ‘in an inappropriate way.’ you know just as well as I do that I don’t have to do anything to make him upset. He will use anything that I do wrong to experiment on me.”

“Oh come on Leo. He can’t be that bad. I have only been down there once and it wasn’t that bad for me.”

“That’s just it Sage, he loves to test on me. He finds any little mistake and uses it against me!”

Sage looked at him in disbelief and shrugged. “It will be fine. Don’t worry so much o.k.?” he gave a small reassuring smile before walking out of the room and into his own. Once alone, Leo couldn’t help wondering why his brother stood up for there dad at times. He was a mean, cruel person full of darkness and hate, which is why they had nicknames him in secret Umbra.  Leo shook his head.  Maybe Sage is right. Maybe I am worrying about nothing and just need some rest. Yea, I think some rest will help. Its getting late anyways. Leo walked over to his bed and crawled into it, pulling the blankets close before reaching over and turning out the light that was illuminating from the small lamp beside his bed.  As darkness consumed the room, peace fell over him and he found sleep tugging at his subconscious.

Fresh air washed over Leo as the sun floated across the sky. Everything was peaceful, even though he didn’t know why. He felt like he had not a care in the world, a feeling he had never had before. It was nice to have. Birds chirped over head as he burst out laughing. This was a wonderful place. He didn’t worry about his father, or doing everything right. No punishment existed in this land. He was free. Leo raced across the open land, smiling more then he had ever smiled before. The breeze blew his messy hair all around, flinging it in his face. Nothing seemed to be able to go wrong here. Suddenly everything changed. the sky grew dark and the bird’s songs died. Suddenly fire seemed to be all around him as clouds filled the sky. Lightning flashed mere inches away from him and thunder roared in the distance. Wind howled as it began to roughly pull at him as if trying to scare him away. Crouching down, he tried to hide himself from the elements that attacked him from all sides. Heat seared into him and made it hard to breathe as smoke swirled around him. He howled in fear and panic as he began to lose sight. what’s going on? How can it change so suddenly?! the wind drowned out his cry as it began to lash at his skin, blood dripping down small wounds that had already formed.

Leo shot up in his bed, his breathe coming hard and fast. Confusion lit his eyes as he stared into the darkness. What happened? The way it changed so suddenly…. he shook his head. it was just a regular bad dream… no big deal… Suddenly, a sound caught his attention. Footfalls sounded on the stairs. He looked over at the small clock that sat on his  nightstand. 11:58 p.m. flashed in bright red, and Leo knew it wasn’t his brother who would be up at this time and his mother would be fast asleep by now. That only left one other person in the house to be awake and on the move. Before Leo could do anything, the sound stopped. His breath stopped coming as it seemed like seconds passing by before the sound started again. This time it was outside of his door. Leo could just barely make out the knob as it turned slowly and a dark figure walked in. silence feel over the room for what seemed like days, until the figure spoke.

“I have a new experiment I want to try.” and suddenly Leo couldn’t keep his eyes open. His vision blurred as his head fell back down to the pillow. He watched Umbra as he walked closer and hoisted him up, but he didn’t understand what was going on. He felt unconscious taking over and even though he tried to fight it, he knew it was winning and then it happened. Leo felt his eyes close as darkness consumed him.

Im a lone wolf, Misunderstood and Labeled dangerous
Go to page: 1