Ava's Story/Background/whatever you call it. Comments/Suggestioins appreciated <3

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
Argh

11:30pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:59pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

Well, I've been wanting to post this somewhere, and... I guess this would be a decent place to post it :3 It's pretty long, so if you don't read all of it, I won't blame you xD It is by sections/chapters and by post, so... yeah. This post is the first section/chapter.

Currently, it is still a work in progress. Have two more sections I haven't begun, and one I'm almost finished with. Feel free to comment or suggest anything I should add, take out, or edit :) This is just a rough draft, sort of just a thought-and-type situation where as soon as I thought of it I typed it out with no regard as to whethe rit would make sense xD So, in advance, sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors or things that seem jumbled together or vague.

There’s Always a Beginning

tle="OLE_LINK1">tle="OLE_LINK2">For my entire life, I have lived in the Soul Society. My earliest memory is that of me having to steal food to keep alive; I knew it was weird that I craved food, and I got weak when I didn’t eat. I didn’t attempt making any friends, so I was all alone with this mysterious craving for food. Most people only ate food because of its taste- they didn’t really need it, but rather just wanted it. For those like me (I knew there had to be others with the amount of food consumed around where I lived), we actually needed it to survive. I had heard a reason as to why special souls like me had hunger; we had high spiritual pressure, which means we could have a chance at the Shinigami Academy and become a Shinigami of the Thirteen Court Guard Squads. Originally, I had no intention of attempting to become a Shinigami, but I changed my mind after an incident that I will never forget.“No, sorry kid; I haven’t seen a man looking like that.” I overheard a vendor tell a young boy. By the way he jumped at almost anything and his eyes looked, I could tell he was new to the Soul Society. I saw the kid’s eyes look down, and get watery for a second before he brushed the tears away that were forming.
“Hey, who are you looking for?” I couldn’t help myself. I was sometimes too curious for my own good. If it was another hollow story, I would be extremely angry. If it was another hollow story, I decided, I would become a Shinigami. Hollows needed to be eliminated… but there were just so many of them, and new ones were made every day. That much I did know; I had heard talk while eavesdropping many a conversation from those who had “relatives” in the Thirteen Court Guard Squads. The kid jumped when he heard my voice.
“My daddy; he’s short, has shoulder-length blonde hair and blue eyes. Have you seen him?” the kid asked with puppy eyes. I thought back to my more recent encounters, thinking hard. Then it hit me; two days ago, there was a man that seemed to be looking for someone in the Eastern Rukon District.
“I may have, actually. What happened?” I asked the boy. The boy looked quite hurt, and I was about to tell him that he didn’t have to tell me unless he wanted to when he spoke. “It was this big monster that came after us. I kept on telling my dad to run, but he couldn’t see it. It killed him, and then it came after me. The next thing I knew, I had this chain attached to my chest, and nobody could see me even though I knew I was there. Another monster, but this time bigger, came after me a couple weeks later. I don’t know how long I was running, but it was like it was purposely not catching me, taunting me… then this person in a black kimono with a sword came and killed it, then sent me here. I tried to protest, but he insisted… and then I came here.” The boy said. It was another hollow incident; that really set me off inside. I stiffened a bit, but crouched down a little so that I could be face-to-face with him.
“You know what? I’ll help you find your dad. I’m pretty sure I saw him a few days ago. Although I didn’t speak to him, it seemed as though he was looking for something, too.” I said, holding out a hand. The boy looked incredulously at me, but took it, and we set off.

I figured out that the kid was actually older than he seemed which was why he was so tough on the outside as well as emotionally. He was still young in my eyes though; eleven years old. Taiki Nakamura was his name. I knew it would be taking a great chance trying to find Taiki’s father, but I still had to try. While searching for his father, I had this odd sensation; the feeling that someone was watching me. But every time I turned around nobody was there. I didn’t mention anything to Taiki, but I kept my guard up. As I got older, I realized that I was becoming more attentive to my surroundings; I could sense if someone was following me without looking, I almost always knew if somewhere led to a dead end if I had never gone that way before and I also always found myself going where I needed to go or finding what I needed to find. It was a sign I knew; and at this moment, I knew someone was watching me, or us. We kept on walking for what seemed like hours; I was starting to get fatigued and if we couldn’t find Taiki’s father soon, I would need to get some food from an unsuspecting vendor. As we walked, I hummed a song out loud. Soon enough, Taiki joined in, and it helped to p*censored* the time. For me, music was great to p*censored* the time. I had loved it for as long as I could remember, but I had never been able to play it myself unfortunately.
Another couple of hours of walking really did me in, but I could feel we were getting closer to Taiki’s father; there was a resemblance between the two that I could feel and sense, like knowing where two of the same things are.
“Do you think we’ll ever find him?” Taiki asked after a while of silence.
“Of course, Taiki, why doubt such a thing?” I asked the young boy. He shrugged a little, and then hung his head slightly.
“I’ve had experience with such things before.” He replied.
“Well Taiki, let me let you in on a little secret.” I said, feeling that if we walked for a couple more minutes we’d find his father… or we could do it the easy way.
“What?” Taiki asked.
“Hop on my back. I think I know where your father is.” I said, hunching down. The boy snickered a little bit.
“Oh, come on. You carry me? You’re barely bigger than me!” he exclaimed. I didn’t react to this; it was true. I was barely bigger than he was, but I had lifted much heavier things.
“Just trust me. Come on, it’ll only take a minute.” I said. It would be much faster than trying to guide him through the crowded streets of East Rukon.
“Well, alright… but I’m abandoning ship if you topple over.” Taiki said, hopping on. To me, he was surprisingly light, and I took off; faster than should be normal for a mere soul. Definitely not fast enough for a flash step, but enough to make the people stop and stare at who it was that was going by so fast. As I had predicted, the connection was ever so near; inside a building in the middle-cl*censored* section. I let Taiki slide off of my shoulders and turned to look at him.
“What’s your father’s name?” I asked.
“Shensi Nakamura.” Taiki replied, a faint gleam of hope in his eyes. I then turned to the door and knocked politely three times. I heard something fall and break inside, a little bit of chattering, and then footsteps padding quickly to the door; light ones, meaning it was either a female or younger-looking kid. The door opened widely, and a little boy looked up.
“Hi there, stranger! Welcome to our rasidance!” the boy said cheerfully, not saying the word ‘residence’ correctly.
“Thank you. I was wondering if a Shensi would be residing here, perhaps?” I asked.
“Yeah, there sure is!” the kid said eagerly. “Hey, dad, there’s someone asking for you!” the kid called inside.
“Dad?” Taiki asked in bewilderment. I nodded and explained quickly to him.
“It’s extremely rare that a family or even two family members ever get reunited in the Soul Society, so the souls make families of their own to live with.” I said.
“Oh… that makes sense, I guess.” Taiki said thoughtfully. A few seconds later, a man with the exact deion Taiki gave me came to the door; also the same man I had seen a few days back.
“F-father?” Taiki asked, his eyes getting huge. The man stared down at Taiki, speechless; I knew that I had found the right man.
“Tai!” the man finally exclaimed, and both embraced each other warmly. It was a great reunion; tears were spilled, and even I almost cried to see a father and son so happy. As they were doing so, I slipped away, not wanting to stick around for the many ‘thank-you’ and ‘what can I do to repay you?’ questions came around. Even through all of that, I still felt as though someone was watching me. So I did what my instincts told me; find out who it was. But before I did that, I raided a new vendor and easily got away. I made my way to an area where not than many people would be at, wanting to confront whoever was following me. I purposely ran into a dead end, sat down against a wall and began eating my rations. I could tell exactly where the person was watching me from, and decided that a warning attack would either bring them out or send them away. I had no idea what it was that I used; some sort of magic, but I knew that I was pretty good at it. Without warning, I sent a large blue ball of the spiritual energy in the direction.
“I don’t like being followed.” I said, taking a large bite out of a watermelon and chewing.
“Hey, take it easy! How long did you know you were being followed?” a man’s voice asked, and a Shinigami appeared across the path, using a flash step to avoid my attack.
“Are you referring to the past few weeks, or just today?” I asked, taking another bite and taking my time chewing.
“You knew for that long? You really must be something… and you’re just a kid.” The Shinigami said, taking a couple steps closer.
“Yes, of course I did. Now, why have you been stalking me? If it’s for my looks, I am not interested in men.” I replied. The Shinigami seemed to get a kick out of what I said, and chuckled quite a bit.
“No, not in the slightest, I’m afraid. I was told by my captain to investigate a soul here with unusually high spiritual pressure. He can sense souls like you pretty easily. A few of the other Captains noticed it too, and wanted to see who or what was radiating it and if it was a Shinigami why they were not with their squad. I myself find it slightly odd that you aren’t even in the Shinigami Academy. You could likely graduate before your due time, and perhaps even be a seated officer.” The Shinigami said.
“Tch. And how would I enter the Academy? Even if I wanted to-“I stopped myself, remembering I had promised myself that I would become a Shinigami after the Taiki incident. “I would have no idea how to. I’ve never thought about it.” I said.
“Well, now’s the time to think about it; there’s no fee to enter, just an entrance exam and whether or not to place you in the beginner or advanced cl*censored*. If you do end up going, tell them that you were referred by Squad thirteen.” The man said.
“I’ll be sure to do that, thanks.” I replied, making no move to get up.
“Before I go; do you know how to control spiritual pressure?” the man asked. Did I know how to control spiritual pressure? Well, that was simple. Without answering, I increased my spiritual pressure, and I heard the man gasp.
“I’m *censored*uming that’s how you do it? I really don’t like exerting it; it attracts attention.” I replied, standing up and lowering it once more before too many people felt it.
“You’re incredible, for not even considering attending the Shinigami Academy! What’s your name?” the man asked.
“Ava. Ava Sen.” I replied.
“Hope to hear about you soon, Ava. You would do well in the Thirteen Court Guard Squads.” The man said politely, and then took off with a flash step.
“Well, Thirteen Court Guard Squads, here I come.” I said, sitting back down and finishing my meal. Squad Thirteen… I would have to remember that for future references, quite literally.

Argh

11:32pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:49pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

Getting Noticed

I waited patiently for everybody to stop crowding around the results of the entrance exams; I had heard that some people purposely got put in the cl*censored* they weren’t supposed to be in; advanced in the beginner and beginner in advanced for whatever reason. I was hoping I would be in the beginner; only because I was much younger than most of the other souls here. But I could also be put into advanced cl*censored* because I had been asked to go to the Shinigami Academy by a member already. Another disadvantage was that I was quite short, but I had speed for sure to make up for that, but I wasn’t sure about strength before since I had never fought before. And my spiritual pressure was enormous, and I knew how to suppress it and make it considerably more noticeable.
“Get out of the way, squirt!” an upper-cl*censored*men shouted, and shoved me- quite hard- into the wall across the hallway. Keeping my cool, I just watched him as he p*censored*ed by, accompanied by a few of his friends. As soon as they were gone, I got back up, brushed myself off and leaned against the wall.
“Hey, are you alright?” a kind voice asked me. I looked to my right to see a handsome-looking boy with short, curly brown hair.
“I’m fine.” I replied flatly, but it didn’t *censored*ure the boy.
“You shouldn’t take stuff like that from third-year students.” The boy said, leaning against the wall with me.
“Yeah, well, I’m not the one to react to anything that’s as pointless as that.” I replied simply.
“Well, you could at least stand up for yourself. You’re a first year, I’m guessing?” the boy asked.
“Yeah, I guess. If I even made it to the beginner cl*censored*,” I said. “I hope I did. I don’t want to be in the advanced cl*censored*.” I added.
“Why wouldn’t you? The advanced cl*censored* is for those of us who have greater spiritual pressure than the others and know how to use it slightly better. You should feel honored if you can get into that cl*censored*!” he said.
“I wouldn’t be. It would mean that I failed to not make it to the beginner cl*censored*.” I replied.
“So, you’re saying you are capable of being in the advanced cl*censored*, but don’t want to be in it?” the boy asked incredulously. I nodded. “Wow. That’s… amazing. I don’t know a single person who had that capability that wouldn’t want to be in the advanced cl*censored*. Well, I’m Tamura Naoaki. What’s your name?” the boy asked, turning completely my direction.
“Ava Sen.” I replied, not turning his way.
“Well, Ava, let’s see what cl*censored*es we’re in. I’ve been waiting for so long to enter this Academy!” Tamura said, rushing at an open spot to the posted students and which cl*censored* they were in. This year’s first-year student cl*censored* was abnormally large, so it had taken a few minutes to clear even enough people to get a couple more people in.
“Ava, we’re both in the advanced cl*censored*!” I heard Tamura exclaim excitedly. Great- just what I did not want. This Tamura boy… he had a little too much enthusiasm. He came up beside me, a big smile on his face. “I hope we can be friends. I’ve been training really hard, trying to get my spiritual energy up. I guess all that hard work paid off!” he said.
“Can you make a large ball of spiritual energy?” I asked him out of curiosity; whenever I was caught practicing, I got all of these gasps; I mean, I didn’t think it was big. It was only three times the size of my head, not that big from my perspective.
“Yeah! I’ve been told that I have a pretty big one. Like this,” Tamura said, holding both arms out, he created an energy ball that fit into both of his hands; a pipsqueak compared to mine.
“Hey, nice job, Tamura,” said a flirty voice from behind us. We both turned around to see a female watching him closely.
“Oh, thank you, Imai,” Tamura said, making it disappear and scratching the back of his head and looking sheepish. It was quite apparent that Tamura liked this girl, Imai.
“Can your friend make one like that, too?” she asked, looking at me. I had no interest in girls; so if she was trying to be flirtatious with me it wouldn’t work.
“I don’t know, honestly. I hadn’t heard of him or met him until a few minutes ago. I’m pretty sure he can make one, too; we’re both in the advanced cl*censored*.” Tamura said. Both looked at me expectantly. I folded my arms, refusing to show anything; I wasn’t a show-off, and I didn’t want people around to see. If I were in the Rukon District, it would be a little different, but… these people all had spiritual energy like me, though I couldn’t really feel any of them having very much as of now.
“I suppose I can. But I don’t want to in front of everybody.” I replied.
“Ah, come on, Ava! Don’t be ashamed if you can’t. And if you can, you should show it off. Show those third-year students who threw you against the wall that you could take them on if given a chance.” Tamura said.
“He got thrown against the wall by a third-year?” Imai asked in shock.
“Yeah, and he didn’t even react. He doesn’t want to start anything, so he just took it from them.” Tamura said. I sighed and leaned against a wall again; something I would probably be caught doing a lot of for the next few years.
“Wow. That’s bold of you. Well, could we at least see your attempt at one somewhere private? I’d like to see a bold kid like you make one at least half the size of Tamura’s. I’ve yet to see bigger.” Imai said.
“Well, since you’re so persistent, I’ll show you only for a second. I hate to show other people what I can do… I hate attention.” I said, uncrossing my arms. I took one hand, held it to the side, almost as if I was waiting for someone to put something into it, and for a couple of seconds a large ball of dark yellow energy was there; more than twice the size of Tamura’s. Before anybody else could speculate and before those who got a glance could get a second look, I made it disappear and dropped my arm to my side.
“Whoa, did I really just see what I thought I saw?!” Tamura asked in shock.
“That was amazing! And you’re so young!” Imai gasped, both seemingly not believing what they had just seen.
“You’re only first year… right?” Tamura asked. I shrugged.
“Yeah, this is my first time here. I’ve had spiritual for as long as I can remember, but not until recently did I decide to come to the Shinigami Academy.” I said.
“Just how old are you, Ava? That was the size of at least a sixth-year student’s! What made you want to come here?” Tamura asked. Imai was watching and waiting for an answer as well.
“And incident related to many others I’ve witnessed. A hollow attack separating a family gets to me. That, and… a Shinigami that was good at hiding his Spiritual Pressure had been following me for weeks, but I never thought to actually confront him. After reuniting a kid with his father, I confronted him. He seemed surprised that I knew he had been following me not only for that day, but for weeks. I don’t know how, but I knew he was there. He said I should go to the Shinigami Academy and that I’d be able to possibly graduate before my due time and get a seated rank in one of the Thirteen Court Guard Squads. He said that if anyone asked, I was referred by Squad Thirteen. As for the age thing… I’m thirteen.” I said.
“No. You’re joking, right?” Tamura asked, bewildered.
“Of course he isn’t, Tamura. How could he make up a story like that? The age thing I’m not too sure about though… And you really reunited a kid’s soul with his father? How long did that take?” Imai asked.
“Less than a day… I guess I was lucky, though. I had seen a man that the kid described to me a few days back, and had an idea of the area he’d be in.” I replied, not bothering to comment about the age thing.
“So, where are you from? Did you have a family?” Imai asked.
“Rukon District; I’ve lived alone my entire life here so far. I never *censored*ociated with anyone except to obtain information and barter.” I said.
“Great spiritual energy, you’re a kid, and you’re from the Rukon District to top it off… you really are something, Ava.” Tamura said.
“Attention all first-year students; you are to report to your respective cl*censored*room at this time.” A voice said over the noisiness of the crowd of kids.
“Well, let’s go, shall we, Tamura?” Imai said.
“Sure. Come on, Ava. We need to get good seats so we can actually hear the instructor. The first thing we usually do is target practice with Kido after learning the incantations. This should be fun! I can’t wait to see you do Kido, Ava.” Tamura said as I tagged along.
“I can… I’d wait a million years…” I mumbled to myself, inaudible to the others. Was I really that much more advanced than others here? And what was with me being so young? Everybody else looked much older.
“Group one, go!” the instructor said. Tamura got up and stood at the edge of the platform with six other guys and girls. "Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hado thirty-one, Shakkahō!"
a m*censored* of voices rang out. Some students completely missed their targets, some barely nicked theirs… Tamura missed his, but hit another one dead-on.
“Hey, you better watch your aim.” Imai teased Tamura as she got up next. Once everyone was ready for Group Two, they let loose; Imai hit hers dead-on, leaving nothing but the stick standing out of the ground.
“Great job, Miss Chikayo!” the instructor called from the other side of the platform. Imai blushed and returned to her seat. The third group- mine- got up next. While everyone else did the incantation and fired, nobody hitting theirs, I just stood there, pondering what to do; did I want to say the incantation, or did I not? Before I could decide, the instructor came over. “Mister Sen, why haven’t you fired? You should know the incantations by memory now.” He said.
“Ava, why aren’t you firing?” Imai and Tamura asked in unison. I shrugged a little, feeling all eyes on me.
“Come now, I’ll recite it with you if that helps.” The instructor said encouragingly. “Ye-“the instructor started, but I had decided- no incantation, I’d just fire- and without looking. Before he could get the second word out, “lord”, I had fired without looking with half power, and not nailed my target, but mine was large enough to hit the three nearest targets as well. A few gasps went throughout the crowd of people.
“Ava, how’d you do that?!” Tamura asked, and Imai’s face completely full of questions. I shrugged once again and sat down behind Tamura and Imai. The instructor was quite a comical site; his jaw had dropped beyond what most thought normal surprise, and it took him about half a minute to regain his composure.
“Thirty-minute break, cl*censored*; Mister Sen, come with me if you would.” The instructor said. I sighed, and reluctantly got up to follow him. I could hear people whispering about me. Things like, “Is he really a first-year student?” and “Is he for real?” and “There’s no way a first-year as young as him could’ve even done half that much!” I wasn’t too happy about it, but I knew I’d be the topic of discussion for the rest of the year most likely. We walked through the main corridor of the Academy, then into the restricted section where only sixth years on rare occasion were allowed… and of course the real Shinigami. If my thoughts were correct, I was going to see someone important. Why, I had no idea; it was no big deal, or was it? Perhaps I had gotten myself into something far beyond what I was capable of… or at least didn’t want to do. We stopped before a large double-door, and ironically as we were getting ready to go in, a woman was coming out.
“Ah! Lieutenant Yadōmaru! Is Captain Ky
ōraku in?” the instructor asked. The female looked taken aback.
“Yes, he is. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were sleeping though. What happened this time?” the Lieutenant asked, raising her Spiritual Pressure a little bit; enough to obviously make the instructor tremble a little bit.
“Well, I’m not sure, really. This kid is a first-year, but has the skills of at least a ranked officer seated fourth or above!” the instructor said. The female snorted a bit, then started laughing, slapping her knee as she did so.
“Oh, come on, Hatano. I knew you were crazy, but really… a first-year student? It doesn’t even feel like he has any spiritual pressure. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye, but didn’t do anything, giving her a sort of ‘warning’ glance. Did I really have the power of a “fourth-seat” or higher?
“Well, he took out his target and three others without even reciting the incantation or looking; and I don’t think he was even trying that hard. I wanted to talk to Captain Kyōraku about him, see if there is an explanation, if he’s really someone else, or, well, anything really. He’s much too advanced to be in the first-year advanced cl*censored*.” The instructor said.
“Well, alright. My errand isn’t that important anyway; it was just to fetch him some more Sake. Come on in.” Lieutenant Yadōmaru said, opening the doors again. I didn’t have any plans on showing anything else to anyone; I didn’t care if it was the Head Captain himself. Again, I followed the instructor, Hatano, and Lieutenant Yadōmaru into the room and the doors shut behind us slowly and silently. Through some of the windows I could see the Seireitei, where the Shinigamis dwelled. I felt extremely out of place where we were; it seemed to be like a library, and a few Shinigamis were scattered about reading, drinking Sake or doing other relaxing-related things. I had this ridiculous-looking white-and-blue robe on and not even a zanpakutou by my side yet. I kept my gaze down as we made our way through the library.
“Where did he go off to now?” the Lieutenant asked, apparently looking at where he had previously been.
“Hey, Nanao. Back so soon?” a deep, soft voice asked. I turned to see a man with a straw hat on and a pink flowered kimono over white robes that I recognized as a Captain’s.
“Well, actually, I got interrupted on the way. Hatano says this kid shouldn’t be in his first year at the Academy.” The Lieutenant stated.
“Oh? Well, it must be important if it stopped you from getting me my Sake.” The Captain said with a slight humorous tone to his voice.
“Well, not really, that’s why I wanted you to talk some sense into Hatano here. He says this kid has about the power level of, what was it now? A ranked officer seated fourth or above.” The Lieutenant said.
“Hatano may be crazy, Nanao, but it isn’t like him to do this sort of thing… well, thanks for dropping him off. I’ll see what I can find out. No need to explain; I know what you’re going to ask me to do. Hurry back with the Sake will you, Nanao? You can go now, Hatano. Make sure all those kids aren’t misbehaving. You know what happened last time you left them alone for more than a few minutes.” The Captain said with a wink.
“Thank you greatly, Captain Kyōraku, for reminding me.” Hatano said, as he turned and ran out. Lieutenant Yadōmaru flashed me a look that said something like, ‘You’re in for it, kid. Enjoy it!’ before she left as well.
“Oh, come on, kid. Don’t be bashful!” Captain Kyōraku said to me. We were alone in his Captain’s Quarters, inside the actual Seireitei. All I did was glance at him before looking out the window again at the sky, inwardly playing a song in my head. The Captain sighed, then sat back, popping open a fresh bottle of Sake. “I don’t know why you’d be hiding what you’re capable of doing. It shouldn’t anything anyone would want to hide- it’s a great gift if you’re as talented as Hatano says you are.” He said.
“Not if you don’t like the attention.” I muttered.
“Oh, come now! What’s your name, kid?” the Captain asked me.
“Ava Sen.” I replied.
“Ava Sen… that name sounds familiar… seems like Ukitake was talking about you the other day or someone with a similar name. Said that you were able to tell when one of his higher-seated officers was following you, even with his spiritual pressure completely masked.” He said.
“Yeah, I confronted a guy from Squad Thirteen. He did have his spiritual pressure masked; that wasn’t what I felt. It’s something else, though I’m not quite sure what to call it. Like a sixth sense…” I said, deciding to be open with the Captain. It would be the easiest thing to do.
“A sixth sense, hmm? Fascinating! So, are you saying you can sense spiritual pressure, too? Can you control any yourself?” the Captain asked.
“Yes to both.” I replied.
“I’d love to get a dose of your Spiritual Pressure, Ava. Or show me some of your Kido skills… perhaps show me a bit of everything!” the Captain said enthusiastically. Anything to get away from here, I thought. Without responding, I released my Spiritual Energy to its max, standing up so that I didn’t ruin anything too valuable. A large yellow light encircled me as I did so, and judging by Captain Kyōraku’s ex
pression, it was better than he had thought. Rushing footsteps approached, and the door to the quarters was slid open as the Lieutenant from earlier opened. She gasped as she saw me, and I quickly let go of my Spiritual Energy, letting it dissipate to what I usually had it at; less than even a first-year student’s.
“C-captain…” she stuttered, sheathing her zanpakutou that she had drawn.
“Impressive, eh Nanao?” Kyōraku said with a big smile. “I can’t wait to see his Kido-usage and fighting abilities.” He said. I sat back down and looked at the floor.
“How old is this kid, and who is he?” she demanded.
“Don’t know his age, but his name is Ava Sen.” The Captain replied.
“Surely he has to be a couple hundred years old to have that much…?” she asked. I just shook my head no.
“Older, then?” she asked.
“You’re way off. I’m only thirteen.” I said. I could hear gasps from both of them; what was so amazing about my age? Hadn’t there been Shinigamis that were younger than me that had graduated?
“Well, let’s see how good his Kido and fighting skills are.” Captain Kyōraku said, standing up.
“You aren’t seriously thinking about what I think you are, are you?” the Lieutenant asked.
“Sure am.” He replied plain and simply.
“But, they aren’t supposed to receive them for another two months, at least! And that’s even pushing it!” she protested.
“Seems like he is good enough to receive one now, I believe.” He said. I looked from one to the other, wondering what they meant.
“What do you think Captain Yamamoto will think of this? And have you talked with other Captains?” the Lieutenant asked.
“Well, why would I get them involved in a matter such as this? If Kenpachi were to know, all hell’d break loose, Nanao. And the other Captains would find it irrelevant to be disturbed about this, though they will probably find out sooner or later.” He said. Nanao straightened up at the name ‘Kenpachi’.
“I suppose you’re right, as usual. Well, alright. I really hope you know what you’re doing, Captain.” She said, leaving, but leaving the door open.
“Well, follow me, Ava. Let’s get you a zanpakutou.” The Captain said. My eyes widened at this; receive a zanpakutou already? I stumbled after the Captain, completely surprised and excited. Perhaps this was going to turn out alright after all…

Argh

11:40pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:50pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

-UNNAMED SECTION-

“What did they do to you?” Tamura asked over our Lunch break.
“Nothing, really,” I said.
“Well, what did you do?” Imai asked.
“I had to show Captain Kyōraku how high I could get my Spiritual Pressure, show him my Kido, and fight a little bit. They gave me a Zanpakutou, too.” I said, taking a bite out of the watermelon I had taken.
“They gave you a zanpakutou? Incredible!” Tamura exclaimed.
“What’s even more incredible is making Captain
Ky
ōraku that confident in his abilities. Though he is lazy and is known for that, did you know that he’s the fourth strongest of the thirteen Captains? First is Head Captain Yamamoto, and then it’s Captain Unohana of the Fourth Squad.” Imai said.
“No way! Captain Unohana? But, I heard she hasn’t even fought before!” Tamura said in disbelief.
“So, who’s the third, then?” I asked.
“Oh, right. Captain Aizen is the third strongest, as far as I know.” Imai said. I had heard about Captain Aizen… he was a kind-hearted man who treated everybody with the utmost kindness. 
“Yeah, well, Captain Kyōraku is pretty cool. He reminds me of myself a little bit.” I said.
“Really? Are you both lazy?” Imai teased.
“He isn’t necessarily lazy, he just doesn’t do much because there isn’t much to do.” I said.
“Well, there’s a good point. I mean, if you’re a Captain, and there’s no action going on, what is there to do?” Tamura said thoughtfully.
“So, you said you had to fight… did you fight with you zanpakutou, or was it wooden sparring poles? And who did you fight?” Imai asked.
“At first it was with the wooden sparring poles, but I ended up breaking them because I hit them too hard, I guess. Odd thing is, I’ve never fought before; not with weapons, anyways. So, I used my zanpakutou, and I did even better. I guess I impressed Captain Kyōraku and everybody that was watching. They say they’re going to watch me for a full week and see if I even need to stay in school or not.” I said with a shrug.
“If you even need to stay in school…? Are they considering letting you graduate already, or just not finishing the Academy altogether?” Tamura asked.
“Yeah, I guess so. I mean, I’m definitely way p*censored*ed first year, and even better than the sixth-year students.” I replied.
“Wow. Well, I hope they don’t put you through any harsh tests or anything… that would be the pits.” Imai said.
“Well, sure. Though, I think they said something about taking me to the real world to fight Hollows, though.” I said.
“Already? Well, advanced first-year students get to fight dummy hollows… but you get to fight real ones! You’re lucky, Ava.” Tamura said.
“Lucky? No, I wouldn’t think so. Why would I be lucky? I’m more advanced than probably every student in this Academy, and I never had any intentions of even coming here in the first place. The only reason I came here is because I was one; referred by the Thirteenth Squad, and two; I want to make sure that families don’t get separated because of hollow attacks and careless Shinigamis not listening to what the soul wants to do before he or she p*censored*es on to the Soul Society.” I said.
“So, the whole reason for you wanting to become a Shinigami is for that purpose?” Imai asked. I nodded, finishing the last bite of my meal.
“That’s bold, Ava. I wish I could be like that…” Tamura said. “The reason most of us are here is just to escape the life we had on the streets or just to prove to our adopted families that we were more than just ordinary souls looking to be part of a family.” Tamura said. “Didn’t you have a family?” Tamura added. I shook my head.
“No. I’ve never lived with anyone. I roamed the Rukon District for the past thirteen years alone I said.
“So, you’ve never had a family? Wow. What did you do in your free time, then?” Imai asked sympathetically.
“It’s not like I couldn’t get one; I had quite a few people ask if I’d be their son, brother, and so on. I raided vendors to keep myself alive. Other than that, I tried to help the less fortunate… and I loved listening to music, wherever it was.” I said.
“Music? That’s something that not many people have an interest in these days.” Imai said.
“Well, sure. There’s a lot of people who like it, but there’s not much of it here in the Soul Society.” Tamura said.
“I wouldn’t know. I don’t really pay attention to what others like to do in their free time. You two would know more about that than me.” I said, resting my head on my hand.
“Well, you should start learning to do that, Ava. It’s a good trait to have, and if you don’t have it, you won’t do as well as you would with it in the Seireitei.” Imai said.
“Thanks for the advice. I’ll get right on it.” I said, sounding half sarcastic, but really thinking about it.

Argh

11:40pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:51pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

Let’s Hear Some Music

“If you think he is ready, then it is your choice,” Said a very old-looking man with a long white beard and a cane.
“Thank you, Captain Yamamoto. This boy has potential, I *censored*ure you. He will be a valuable *censored*et to us.” Captain Kyōraku said, disappearing in a flash.
“Do you really think this is a good idea, Captain Yamamoto? From what information I’ve gathered, this boy had no intention of even joining the Thirteen Court Guard Squads until a member of Captain Ukitake’s squad asked him to. And he doesn’t seem too thrilled about this, either.” A slim man with silver-grey hair and a tall, slender build said.
“This is up to Captain Kyōraku. I do not doubt his intentions, but if something were to go wrong with this then it will be dealt with accordingly. Let’s hope it doesn’t turn out that way.” Captain Yamamoto said as he tapped his cane lightly on the ground, signaling the discussion was over.

“Hey, it’s the first-year squirt!” said the same guy who had bullied me the day we got our cl*censored* results back. I ignored him and proceeded through the Academy to the library where I was supposed to meet with Captain Kyōraku. “Hey, did I say you could go anywhere?” he asked, barring my way, picking me up and pinning me up against the wall.
“Oh, look! He even has a zanpakutou! Let’s see if it’s a real one or if it’s just a toy!” one of his friends said. I did my best to not fight back; I didn’t want to start anything. Though, if they wanted to get really physical, they would regret it.
“Well, how should we test it out? It looks and feels real, but who knows?” the student said.
“How about we try it on him?” one of the others suggested.
“That’s a great idea. Hey, kid, if you’re so advanced, why aren’t you fighting back? Or are they just trying to make it seem like you are?” the leader asked.
“Don’t start…” I warned him, my head sideways, looking toward the doorway where Lisa usually was.
“What? I couldn’t hear ya, squirt!” the leader said. He drew back my zanpakutou, and with a great effort brought it forward. It was then that I acted. I turned my head to face them and emitted a lot of my spiritual pressure; enough to make them all fall to the ground from how powerful it was. Unfortunately, that wasn’t all it did; as soon as I did that, people were coming from every direction, even before I hit the ground. My zanpakutou clattered to the ground, as did I once I was released. By the time I had gotten up and sheathed my zanpakutou, there were whispers about what had happened, and the boys who had bullied me got weakly to their feet and stumbled away, knowing that to mess with me would not be a good thing anymore.
“What’s going on here?” a woman’s voice demanded; hand on her zanpakutou as she burst out of the library down the hallway, a few of the real Shinigami behind her. I just kept my head down as I sheathed my zanpakutou and headed down the hallway past her. “Ava, what’s the meaning of this?” she asked, lowering her voice.
“It was nothing.” I said bitterly, obviously displaying that I didn’t want to talk about it.
“Captain Kyōraku will want to have a chat with you about it. Let’s go. Everyone, return to your own business!” the Lieutenant hissed, and everything was q m*censored* of chattering again, students walking down the hallway, and a couple of sixth-years walking down the restricted hallway to their advanced cl*censored*es.
“Who was that, Lieutenant?” one of the accompanying shinigami asked.
“It was this little brat here, showing off no doubt.” Lisa said. I didn’t comment on that; I didn’t want any trouble, so I wouldn’t start anything; especially not with a lieutenant.
“Whoa! Are you serious? There’s no way that’s possible; he looks like he isn’t even old enough to be in school yet!” one of them exclaimed.
“Well, you better believe it. This little brat is supposed to skip school altogether because he’s so advanced.” The Lieutenant said coldly.
“I don’t like it anymore than you do, so quit being so bitter about it. I didn’t ask to be so advanced, I didn’t ask to skip school, and I sure as heck didn’t ask for your company! I’d be perfectly happy living on the streets right now rather than be here, stuck with people who hate me!” I said, as I turned on my heels and, though I had never done it before, used a flash step to get out, thinking that it wouldn’t be worth it to be there any longer. I didn’t belong anywhere; even in the Rukon District they would know of me by now and how great my spiritual pressure was and look down upon me. I didn’t feel anyone pursuing me, so I guess that it took them by surprise that I had left like that. I found myself at the very top of the Academy, sitting on the ledge of a wall that was around the bell tower, legs around my knees, looking out over the people below. I heard something whispering to me, and I had no idea what it was at first. I looked around, and it seemed to be coming from the right side of me and down a little; my zanpakutou. Was it… trying to tell me… its name? I picked it up and held it up to the sun, and I heard a whisper, ever so faintly, but clear as day.
Teisei Gotokuame.” It said. I brought it away from me; well, to p*censored* the time, why not release it?
“Teisei Gotokuame!” I whispered loudly, and my zanpakutou turned into a long, thin crimson-and-yellow spiked mini club. Well, that was something new; I hadn’t expected that, especially since I wasn’t one who was into fighting too much with weapons. I preferred Kido, if anything. However, a beautiful melody began playing as soon as I released it; loud enough to cover probably the entire Academy, but it was so faint that one might not catch it unless they were paying attention. I smiled, realizing that it was the tune I had hummed to myself for years. Except now, it was much enhanced and sounded a million times better, with different instruments chiming in, almost as if it were a band. I laid it down by my side, and proceeded to let my feet dangle over the wall, my head resting against the wooden beam supporting the elaborate archway above the bell. After what seemed like only a few minutes, I felt another presence with me; one that I recognized.
“Well, that’s an odd sight. You don’t find too many students up here. It’s impossible for them to get this high without flash step, which Lisa told me you are capable of using.” The gentle voice said. I picked up Teisei Gotokuame and returned it to its original state, the music fading nicely with it. “So, what’s up, Ava? I can tell something’s bugging you.” He said, and the Captain sat down beside me.
“I don’t belong here, Captain Kyōraku.” I said, the first time I had actually addressed him as ‘Captain’ and not just ‘Kyōraku’.
“Don’t belong? Of course you do! What makes you think that you wouldn’t?” the Captain asked, a shocked ex
pression on his face. A few people were looking up at us; never had a Captain been seen outside the Academy, let alone on the roof of it, and even more absurd was he was with a student that hadn’t even come close to graduating, by terms of years.
“Everybody thinks that I want all of this attention, and keep giving me a hard time about it. Even your Lieutenant thinks that I’m just some brat that everyone likes and take up their spotlight.” I said.
“Oh, is that so? Well, you just have to ignore all those people, Ava. I can’t say I know what you’re going through, but I can tell you that this isn’t the way to deal with it. Lisa came and told me about your little outburst, and she does apologize for it. Though, we’re both uncertain as to why what happened… happened. Why did you cause such a commotion?” Captain Kyōraku asked. I shrugged, not wanting to answer. “Come on, Ava. If you don’t want to talk about it, nothing can be done about it.” He said. I sighed, looking away from the Captain.
“A few third-year students thought they could do something to me. They took my zanpakutou from me and tried to use it against me.” I said.
“You just let them do that?” the Captain asked, amazed. “That takes willpower to not attack anyone who tries to mess with things like that. So, I’m *censored*uming you didn’t actually hurt them, then?” the Captain asked. I nodded.
“All I did was exert my Spiritual Pressure to make them drop me and my zanpakutou and leave them breathless for a while. Though, I guess I could’ve done something else that attracted less attention.” I said.
“No, no. That was probably the best thing to do. I doubt you would’ve been able to do anything else without physically hurting them.” The Captain said. “But, to make them do what they did, as I heard… you really must know what you’re doing. I would like to take you on as my personal pupil, Ava.” The Captain said. I whipped my head to him, and nearly lost my balance. Captain Kyōraku? Take me on as his pupil? Was he really serious, or… was I just dreaming this up? No. Captain Kyōraku was a joking man, but he wouldn’t joke about things like this.
“I- I don’t know what to say… Th- thank you, Captain Kyōraku, I’d be honored!” I said excitedly.
“Well then, welcome to Squad Eight, Ava. Meet me in my office later this afternoon. Until then, just relax. You don’t have to go to any of your cl*censored*es, and if anybody asks, I gave you permission to do so. They won’t argue with that. Let’s hear some music.” Captain Kyōraku said, winking as he hopped off the building and disappeared.
“I’m… officially with… Squad… Eight…” I said slowly to myself out loud. For once in my life, at least here in the Soul Society, I was excited, happy and looking forward to something.

“I just thought I’d let you know that I won’t be returning here again.” I said to Tamura and Imai.
“So, are you leaving, or did you get *censored*igned to a Squad?” Tamura asked.
“Are you that stupid, Tamura? He got *censored*igned! Congrats, Ava! What squad?” Imai said excitedly.
“Well, I didn’t get *censored*igned, really… but Captain Kyōraku said he wanted me in his, and said to meet him in his Quarters this afternoon sometime. He said he wanted to train me personally.” I said.
“So… that’s the Eighth Squad. That’s an awesome Squad to be in, Ava. Did you know that Head Captain Yamamoto trained Captain Ukitake and Captain Kyōraku himself when they were students?” Imai said.
“So, that means you’ll totally be, like, under the second-best training! That is, if you’re up for it.” Tamura teased.
“I’m ready for a challenge. I really need one, or I won’t get any stronger. I mean, I just learned flash step, I guess… My kido isn’t that great, but it’s getting there, and my fighting abilities are pretty good I hear.” I said.
“You’re kido isn’t that great? Oh, come on, Ava! If you’re kido isn’t that great, I’d hate to see you fight.” Tamura said.
“Someone say they’re fighting abilities are pretty good?” a mature-sounding voice said behind the three at the table. I turned around to see older-looking students, sixth years at least I could tell, standing there.
“Umm, well… I guess somebody overheard that.” I said innocently.
“Well, I’ve been looking for a challenge actually. Aren’t you the first-year who’s supposed to skip Shinigami Academy altogether?” the one in front asked, his three friends behind him whispering amongst themselves.
“Yeah, he is. So what? You want to start something?” Tamura asked, standing up.
“Whoa, whoa, take it easy kid, sheesh. All I wanted was to see how good this kid really is. I’m at the head of my cl*censored* for fighting, so I’d like to have a friendly match so I can improve even more.” The kid said. Tamura sat down, and Imai looked shocked; sixth-year students that were actually nice? That was quite the rarity these days.
“Sure, I’ve got all afternoon to do it. When do you want to do it?” I asked, sensing no intentions like the second-year students had planned on doing.
“Actually, could you do it in a few minutes? I have sparring for my next cl*censored*, and the instructor is well… even no match for me. I can beat everyone in the cl*censored* and the instructor said if I could find anyone that could defeat me in the Academy to ask if they could come.” The boy said.
“Sure, that’d be great.” I said with a smile.
“It’s the first door on the left down the restricted hall.” The boy said.
“I’ll be there in a bit. What’s your name, by the way?” I asked curiously.
“Ishiin, but you can call me Blade if you want.” He said nodding to me as he and his friends left.
“Well, I’ve heard he’s pretty good. You should have a pretty decent match up… or, as good as you’re going to get.” Tamura said.
“With your luck, the whole school will be there watching.” Imai said. I nodded, knowing that what she said might very well be the case.

“Here comes wonder kid.”
“They say he isn’t even going to attend the Academy and he’s going straight to a Squad!”
“I hear he has enormous spiritual pressure. He completely knocked the wind out of a few third-year students.”
“Well, second-year students are pathetic. Anything could knock the breath out of them.”
“Alright, quiet down, cl*censored*! This will be a good learning experience for everyone; an advanced first-year student against an advanced sixth-year student. Watch closely.” The instructor shouted above the noise. After a moment, everyone quieted down. “Ishiin… Blade, come forward.” Said the instructor, motioning for him to get up and go to the center of the room, where I stood. I had ignored any sneers, jibes or rude comments that were meant for me, and focused on Blade. If I let the comments get to me, I would lose focus, then definitely lose… what was worse, we were using sticks, of all things. We both had zanpakutou, but the instructor had told us she only wanted us to use reinforced bamboo sticks. Even reinforced, I knew mine, at least, would break within the first few hits.
“Good luck, Ava. I’m looking forward to this challenge.” Blade said, taking his stance.
“First unable to battle is the loser of this little match. Begin!” the instructor said, backing away quickly. Now, I knew about openings and such, but hadn’t really studied it. It came rather naturally to me… but, Blade had probably studied intently on this subject, which likely put me at a disadvantage. Well, this would turn out badly, I thought. I had defeated the lower-seated officers of some of the Squads, but… this seemed different.
Don’t be negative! This one will be easy, trust me, a voice said. I gasped at the voice, and let my guard down; Blade noticed, and took that chance. Though he didn’t know flash step, he was extremely fast. I blocked with one arm on my stick, easily. His power was great, but nothing compared to the seated officers. Though, I decided I would drag it out for as long as I could, hoping to not hurt his pride too soon, and make It seem like a good battle.
“Nice block, kid.” Blade said. I narrowed my eyes and threw him off of me; probably with a little too much force, and he went skidding backwards. The people gasped at this; apparently, nobody had been able to do that before.
“Well, I see I’ll have to go all out if I want to try and defeat you, then.” Blade said, as he took another stance, ready to pounce. Only this time he closed his eyes, and when he opened them, he engulfed himself in his spiritual energy.
“Mister Ishiin, this is not the place for such a thing! This is a friendly match only!” the instructor advised, but apparently he didn’t care. He rushed at me again, faster, and swung with apparently his full force. Well, it wouldn’t last long at this rate. I stopped his stick with my bare hand, though I was sent skidding back a couple feet as I did so.
“Oh, come on, Ishiin. Is this really the best you can do? Come at me, again.” I said, throwing him back again and taking a defensive position.
“H-how did you d-do that?” he asked, trembling.
“Oh, stop you? Well, umm… I’m not sure, really. I’ve mastered the bamboo stick portion of fighting.” I said with a smile.
“Is that so? Then let’s prove that wrong!” Ishiin said, rushing at me again. I sighed and looked down and to the side at the ground. He was a determined one… and wasn’t afraid of destroying a few things in the process. Right before he made contact, I swung my bamboo stick at the center of his, breaking his clean in half. The entire student body there gasped; here was Blade, the one who was so advanced, and he was being deflected by a mere first-year student who wasn’t even using any of his spiritual pressure. I caught him off-guard, and with a hard, but not too hard retaliation, I knocked him off of his feet with one swoop of my feet, then gave him a kick as he was still falling and sent him backwards, making quite a few people scatter to avoid getting hit by him. He crashed into the wall, and I immediately felt bad.
“Hey, you OK, Blade?” I asked him as I went over.
“Man, you’re amazing!” I heard Blade say as I got close enough, helping him to his feet.
“Winner of this match goes to, err… Ava Sen.” The instructor said. All the students started talking at once, and I was immediately crowded and bombarded with questions.
“How did you get so powerful?”
“Can you teach me how to fight like that?”
“What Squad are you going into?”
“How old are you?”
“Can you show us your zanpakutou’s released form?”… and the questions kept rolling in.
“I’m a thirteen, I don’t know how I got so powerful, no I won’t show you here, I’m going into Squad Eight, and if you’ll excuse me, I have a meeting that I need to get to.” I said, using a flash step to escape the people. Sheesh… just a second ago they had hated my guts and wanted me out of there, and now they all liked me, and were wanting to know more things about me. It was strange… I had been so disliked at first, but once I showed them how powerful I was and could be, then I was respected. I guess that people didn’t really believe what they heard until they saw it. And the only reason they didn’t come at me with those rude remarks anymore is because they probably feared me now. Once I was away from everybody, and in front of the door to the library, I sighed and took a deep breath. I knew where Captain Kyōraku’s quarters were, but I felt as if I had lost all sense of direction. I knew it was just nervousness, but still… I couldn’t control myself. As I opened the door and went through the double doors, I could feel more eyes on me than usual. I knew that that would be the case; everybody in Captain Kyōraku’s Squad would know that I would be coming. And, sadly enough, the only way to get to the Captain’s Quarters was through the library. I held my head high and ignored anything directed at me.

Argh

11:42pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:52pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

Easier Said Than Done

It came as no surprise to me that I was to go through very harsh training. But, exactly what I was about to do I hadn’t planned on ever doing. Captain Kyōraku expected me to fight him; for one, I didn’t want to hurt him and two, I didn’t want to be hurt by him either. But, he had said that it wouldn’t really matter, because he wouldn’t be hurting me, and he said I wasn’t strong enough to hurt him. That irritated me, him saying that, but I knew he meant well and it wasn’t an insult; it was just a fact. I may be strong, but not strong enough to take on a Captain, or so I thought. It was a daily routine; every morning Captain Kyōraku would take me out and work with me; hard. It was probably harder than most Bankai training. Not that I would reach Bankai anytime soon, though. I was just content with being a Shinigami. Though I’d much rather be *censored*igned to the World of the Living to fight hollows, I had to deal with this for however long the Captain wanted him to do it.

“I have noticed a great increase in your power; both physically, mentally, and your spiritual pressure. I think that you should be able to do a little bit of damage to me now.” Captain Kyōraku said, lying on his back with a piece of long gr*censored* sticking out of the corner of his mouth, and his straw hat down over his eyes. I didn’t respond, but the music that was coming out of tle="OLE_LINK3">tle="OLE_LINK4">Teisei Gotokuame reflected my emotion.
“Well, if I must, let’s get it over with.” I said.
“That’s the spirit! Now, I want you to come at me with everything you have.” Captain Kyōraku said, sitting up and sticking the piece of gr*censored* in his straw hat and uncovering his eyes. “I know you’ve been holding back, Ava. Until you come at me with everything you have, I will not end these sessions.” The Captain said. He knew I was holding back? Well… it was obvious, though… everybody knew I had gotten stronger for the past few years, but I only showed a little bit of it.
“And what happens then?” I asked.
“Well… I suppose you can finally get a seat, and perhaps even an *censored*ignment or two. I’ve been telling the Old Man that I’m waiting for the right moment to do anything with you. You see, he has faith in me. If it were another captain other than Unohana or Ukitake, then it might be different. Though, in the future I would suggest staying away from Hitsugaya. There hasn’t been anyone that has come close to being as young as him and graduated from the Shinigami Academy. And, ironically enough, you have the same hair style he does.” The Captain said with a chuckle. Hitsugaya? That must be that short captain with the ice-blue hair that I saw once. We made eye contact, and I could feel the inside of me go cold. I hadn’t seen him since, and I hoped not to ever again.
“Well, where are we going this time?” I asked, returning Teiseigotokuame to the original form.
“Well, how about right here? The training grounds are being used today, and all the other good spots seem to be taken.” The Captain said with a smile. I smiled back at him; he knew I hated fighting with a crowd. However, I had grown out of that, and would not mind so much anymore. If they wanted to draw me out of my comfort zone, so be it. I wasn’t afraid of it anymore. Practically everyone had seen me fighting before, so this wouldn’t be anything completely new… It would be more power, sure, but nothing more.
“Let’s start, shall we? No shikai?” I asked.
“You got it, Ava. Kido is welcome this time, though. Don’t worry if you destroy a few buildings; they are easily repaired, and most buildings here have little or no importance to them.” Captain Kyōraku said. I nodded, and we both flash stepped to our places; on opposite ends of a rooftop.
“Let’s see how long you can last today, Ava. I know you can do much better than you have, but today… I’m going to fight back. So be ready.” Captain Kyōraku said, taking out one of his dual-zanpakutou. So… he was only using one? By the end of this, he’d be using both though, I knew. He gave me a sly grin then used a flash step to attack me. If I messed up today, I would likely end up in Squad Four’s barracks being healed. I knew he was serious; there was no doubt about that. I smiled a sly grin as well, knowing exactly where he would appear. It was my sixth sense working again… I simply put my zanpakutou behind my back to block him from hitting me.
“Very good, Ava; your sixth sense has made you a formidable opponent. I suppose I’ll have to move faster or be a little more unpredictable.” Captain Kyōraku said.
“Unpredictable? You should know that is hard to do with me, even if I tried hard not to use it.” I said slyly.
“Oh? Have you tried not using it before? You’re right. I can’t tell.” The Captain said, using another flash step. Sure, he was concealing all of his spiritual pressure, but… it wouldn’t be enough. Though I had a bad habit of knowing where someone would pop up, I wasn’t always prepared. Or, at least I used to not be prepared. I was sure he was going to use Bakudo on me. I thought about it, and judging by the time he had been using flash step to avoid me seeing him constantly, he was not going to use Geki or
Kaku*censored*suijaku, but rather… Rikujōkōrō, Six Rods Prison of Light. Just before he said it I used a flash step, and he sent it the wrong way without the incantation. “You’re getting better, Ava. But how’s about this on for size?” the Captain asked, as a large shot of Raikōhō came up from behind me. Now, that was something new… luckily, I had learned to think quicker than I had in the past. Instead of doing a flash step as I usually did to avoid the second attack, I did something completely opposite; I countered it with a Raikōhō of my own, without the incantation as well. I could tell by Captain Kyōraku’s Raikōhō that he was holding back some, which meant he was saving energy for later on. My kido, thankfully, was on par with his and with the amount of spiritual pressure I put behind it, it went clean through Captain Kyōraku’s and a big explosion resulted. By then, a growing crowd was watching. Joy.
“Nice one, Ava. That was unexpected on my behalf. Now that I’m warmed up, let’s add a little twist to this match.” The Captain said, taking out the other part of his zanpakutou. Great… I had to fight him with his dual zanpakutou. Well, he was ambidextrous, so it was a pain with just one… but both now? This would turn out horribly… usually it would, but for some reason I had a good feeling about this one. Even though I was supposed to go all-out, I had this strange feeling that I would do well. Now Captain Kyōraku would be attacking me directly, with perhaps a few closer-range Kido attacks on the way. Even without my sixth sense, he was easy to predict most of the time.
“Oh, come on Captain, you know that little twists won’t do much, if anything at all.” I said.
“Well now, is that a fact?” the Captain asked, charging forward again. Though he was using both of his now, I still had only my single; and even in its shikai it was just one, though I knew it wouldn’t do much, as I hadn’t completely mastered the sound waves it could emit. Right now, it was only enough to bring down a small building and shatter gl*censored*; I was told, by Teiseigotokuame at least, that it would be able to reverberate enough to crack or even break a zanpakutou if I could get it down. But, the Captain had said ‘no Shikai’, so it wouldn’t matter very much either way.
“Yes, it is, Captain.” I said firmly, blocking both attacks with only one hand, and staring him in the eyes for a few seconds before we jumped back from each other.
“We’ll have to do something about that, then. Though your flash step is good, it isn’t as well-developed as mine. Your fighting skills are enough to keep me at bay, but let’s see how long you can last. If you can last two hours, at your full strength, then we’ll call these training sessions to an end.” The Captain said.
“No problem.” I replied, leaping forward, our zanpakutou clashing and making a loud ring throughout most of the Seireitei.
“You hear that? Sounds like a battle is going on somewhere,” said a new graduate to a female that was accompanying him.
“There’s something familiar about that spiritual pressure, though,” said the female.
“You know… now that you mention it… that feels like Ava’s.” said the male.
“You think he’s training? I mean, we will probably rarely get to see him… you thinking what I am, Imai?” the guy asked.
“Well, if you’re thinking that we should go watch, I’m right behind you, Tamura.” Imai said, and both headed off in the direction of the battle.
“Well, seems like there’s already a crowd.” Tamura pointed out.
“Really? Thank you, Captain Obvious, for stating that. Come on, we can probably find a better place on the other sides.” Imai said, catching glimpses of two people fighting; one with a pink kimono and the other with noticeably yellow hair.
“Well, it’s no doubt; I don’t know if it’s a training session or not, but it’s definitely Captain Kyōraku and Ava.” Tamura said, watching closely. It wasn’t every day you’d see a Captain fighting a subordinate; especially not one that was as new to the Thirteen Court Guard Squads as Ava. Ava wasn’t bold enough to challenge a Captain, though, so it had to be a training session of some sort.
“Here we go. Front row seats.” Imai said, hopping on top of a building. There was a small circle around the fighting area already, and it had only been not even half an hour since the battle had started.
“Now, this should be interesting. Wish we could’ve been put into the same Squad as Ava… but, it’s lucky that we got put into the same one. At least our Captain’s are pretty good buds,” Tamura said.
“Well, there isn’t a greater Captain friendship than Captain Ukitake and Captain Kyōraku,” Said Imai. Tamura nodded, and focused his attention on the battle between Captain Kyōraku and Ava.

“Raikōhō!” Captain Kyōraku shouted, aiming his index finger at me, releasing a m*censored*ive wave of yellow energy at me.
“Sōkatsui!” I shouted in retaliation, releasing a wave of blue energy. It was a much weaker Hado attack, but I wanted to make my point in showing that I could overpower more powerful Kido with weaker ones. As I had thought, it did quite easily and even cut through his, going toward him. Somehow, that appeared to catch him off-guard, and he had to block it with a couple swings of his dual zanpakutou.
“I better start thinking up of a strategy. Apparently your Kido is on par with mine.” Captain Kyōraku said, taking a few-second break.
“No, I don’t think so. You’re still holding back, Captain.” I replied. I knew what he was going to say next.
“As are you, Ava; let’s do something about that, shall we?” Captain Kyōraku said, charging at me again, swinging with full force with both of his hands. I hadn’t been prepared for this; I knew he was going easy on me since I was a subordinate and it wasn’t a real battle. If this had been a real battle, he would’ve finished it long ago. I had to use both hands now to block each swing of his blade, and when he swung with both at once, I had to grip
Teiseigotokuame tightly to prevent him from flying out of my hands. Come now, Ava. Surely you can do better than this. You are not to hold back, so why are you holding back? I heard the familiar voice ask. I smiled, knowing he was right. The Captain wanted to see me go all out? I would go all out. I placed my feet down firmly on the rooftop I was on, and retaliated with a mighty swing of my own, sending the Captain back. I hadn’t increased my spiritual pressure in a while, or used it, but I knew it had increased greatly since the last time I had.
“Let’s see how I can fare for the next hour.” I said, guessing it had been approximately an hour since we had begun our duel.
“Now you’re talking, Ava.” The Captain said with a lazy-looking grin. I got in a half-crouched fighter’s stance and raised Teiseigotokuame, and an immense yellow cloud of spiritual pressure enveloped me. I had no idea how much it compared to the last time I had made one, but judging from the murmurs I heard around me, it was much greater. I felt as if I could go faster, attack for longer periods of time with more strength and for sure last longer now. Without warning, doing something I had never done before, I went straight for Captain Kyōraku. Though it caught him by surprise, he managed to block and retaliate.
“You’re getting more and more unpredictable, Ava.” The Captain commented, swinging both of his swords at me with full strength once again. I dodged easily, used a flash step to get around him and swung with full force; obviously not what he had expected by what happened. I felt extremely horrible for doing it, but the Captain seemed pleased by his reaction. I cut him clean along his back, leaving a deep gash there. I paused, not wanting to attack again; for fear that he would yell at me.
“C-captain…” I said apologetically.
“Don’t let your guard down, Ava!” he said, swinging around, acting as if it were just a minor scratch. As he had said, I let my guard down, and then he made it even; I got a good blow, though it was across the left side of my body. I hadn’t received any serious blows before, so this was new to me. Strangely enough, I felt almost no pain, though I knew it would need to be taken care of. Blood fell down to the ground from both of our wounds, more so from mine since I was hit twice, with parallel gashes down the left side of me. “Would you like to continue?” the Captain asked.
“What?” I asked, shocked he would ask. “Of course; this is nothing.” I said firmly.
“Good. You still have a while before this is over.” Captain Kyōraku said.

“Did you see that? He actually landed a blow on Captain Kyōraku!” Tamura exclaimed in awe with just about everyone else who wasn’t shocked enough to say anything.
“You could tell he was surprised; and did you see that blow that Captain Kyōraku did on him? And they’re still fighting! Ava really is amazing to keep fighting the way he is after a blow like that… and Captain Kyōraku… he didn’t even flinch when Ava landed a blow on him.” Imai said, amazed. Both watched in awe as they watched their friend who didn’t even go to the Shinigami Academy fight on almost-even footing with a Captain. Well, for this type of battle, anyways. If Captain Kyōraku were to use his Bankai, or even Shikai he would probably be harder to match. But by the way that Ava’s spiritual pressure kept increasing, it seemed as though he may have a chance of ending the battle with a draw.
“It’s amazing how well-developed his skills are. I’d hate to make him mad… though, I’d love to be trained personally by such a great Captain.” Tamura said his eyes wide. The battle was much faster now, and it was hard to keep up with where they were at. Every now and then a small rain of blood would fall down; most likely from Ava’s since his had been much deeper. Captain Kyōraku’s wound was at least absorbed by his three layers; his regular black Kimono, his Captain’s robe, and his pink Kimono. Ava had only his pitifully thin black Kimono that was an old one that he preferred; he liked the tattered look and felt more comfortable in it rather than the baggy kind that most Shinigamis wore. Thirty minutes p*censored*ed and not a word had been said; nearly the whole Seireitei was there, excluding the Head Captain and most of the other Captains. Most of the seated officers from every Squad were there. The battle had gotten much tenser as the time went on, and new wounds were appearing on both Captain Kyōraku and Ava; Ava getting the not-so-good dose of them.
“You think Ava can pull it off, whatever they’re fighting for?” Tamura asked Imai. Imai just shook her head, unsure of herself.
“I don’t know. But they have been fighting for a while now. I think it’s more of an endurance and stamina test. Ava has definitely improved since I last saw him battle. Of course, that was years ago… but from what I’ve heard, just last year he could only keep this strong for a few minutes. And he’s been at it for at least half an hour.” Imai said. Tamura nodded in agreement.
“I hope he lasts for as long as the Captain wants him to.” Tamura said.
“It doesn’t matter if he can, Tamura. He will force himself to do it, even if it means great pain in the end, both physically and mentally. Fighting with injuries like he does for as long as he does… you’d almost think he was fighting to the death.” Imai said.
“I hope that’s not what this is…” Tamura said.
“Don’t be an idiot, Tamura. If that’s what this was, there’d be much more bloodshed, and Captain Kyōraku would be exerting a whole lot more spiritual pressure. Though, you do notice his slow but steady increase, right?” said Imai, glancing over at Tamura who nodded. It was odd… was Ava really on par with Captain Kyōraku? After only such a short time training, was it possible?

I can’t give up. I can’t give up. I can’t give up! I told myself in my head. My body was exhausted, I had many wounds that would have stopped any other Shinigami from battling, and I was barely able to control my Spiritual Pressure now; it was increasing rapidly now without my wanting. I guess this is what not having many years of experience did to you when you got in a situation like this.
“Hang in there, Ava. You’re almost finished!” I heard someone call from the crowd; perhaps someone that knew what was going on. I didn’t look to see who it was, but kept my eyes focused on Captain Kyōraku.
“Ava, you should control your Spiritual Pressure a little better. It seems as though you’re losing control of it.” Captain Kyōraku stated.
“Easier said than done…” I muttered, panting. I was close to finishing, just as that voice had said in the crowd. Now that I thought of it, it sounded strangely familiar… definitely female. Nanao?
“It does seem as though I underestimated you quite a bit. You have improved greatly, Ava.” Captain Kyōraku said, sounding slightly out of breath. But it’s not enough for me… I can’t even make you fall to one knee, I thought with great disappointment. Without answering, I lunged at him again, my spiritual pressure still rising, though I was able to control it a bit more now with focus as the Captain had said. “I *censored*ure you that today will be the last day we deal with these sessions.” Captain Kyōraku said, blocking with ease at my tired attempt to try and get at him.
“Why?” I asked between heavy panting.
“I feel that you will not get better by training with me, is all. After this is over, I will explain more to you.” He said, lashing out unexpectedly and nicking my left shoulder at a spot where it hadn’t been torn open. I jumped back and firmly held Teiseigotokuame in my hands. Those words; it likely meant that one final blow would take place before the battle was over. Make him proud, Ava. Make him know he underestimated you. I tell you of a new attack that will shatter his zanpakutou temporarily, giving you a free shot at him, Teisei Gotokuame said. I closed my eyes momentarily, and it was as if time itself stopped. Shatter, Ava. Say it loud, say it proud, and put the rest of your energy behind this so you can finish it with style,
tle="OLE_LINK5">tle="OLE_LINK6">Teiseigotokuame said. I opened my eyes and let my Spiritual Pressure reach its peak; dissolving the roof that I had been standing on. Both Captain Kyōraku and I jumped into the air. For the first time, I felt his Spiritual Pressure increase greatly. He knew that something big was coming by the look in my eyes and by my increase yet again as well.
“Shatter!” I exclaimed with great force, thrusting Teiseigotokuame downward and straight at Captain Kyōraku. A soundless, at least to my ears, but visible wave was sent at an incredible speed toward Captain Kyōraku, and as it reached him, his zanpakutou vibrated extremely violently before both shattering. I used a flash step to get up next to him, my pose ending with my head just past his and my zanpakutou right at his neck with my arm behind me. I could tell he was completely stunned at this, and all was quiet except for a very eerie-sounding breeze. I was breathing hard, and barely able to support myself standing up. Me entire body was trembling with the effort. Then I heard applause from around who had gathered, and the Captain turned his head and put his hand on my good shoulder.
“That was great, Ava. Go get yourself cleaned up.” He said to me. I started to take off, all of my spiritual pressure dissipating greatly as I forced it to go back down to below normal. The first step I took I completely collapsed. I was just too exhausted to go anywhere by myself… Oh, sure that was a good fight. But a Shinigami never shows signs of exhaustion, even after battle, Teiseigotokuame commented. You’re right, Teiseigotokuame, I thought, forcing myself to get up after a few people had come to help me up. I shook them off, and then headed toward the Squad Four barracks, taking it slow.
“Hey, Ava! Wait up!” a young feminine-sounding voice sounded. Though it was one voice, it was accompanied by two sets of footsteps, and they were running to catch up. I smiled as I remembered who the voice belonged to. And it would be obvious as to who she was with. I stopped, my ability to support myself getting better now.
“Hey, long time no see you two.” I said turning around. It was who I had thought it was; Imai and Tamura.
“That was an amazing battle, Ava! I knew you were amazing in battle, but I didn’t think you’d be able to fight on even footing with Captain Kyōraku!” Tamura said.
“Yeah. That was amazing. How long did you fight for?” Imai asked.
“Well, the Captain said two hours… but judging by the sun’s position, I’d have to say it was at least an hour longer…” I said, shrugging my good shoulder.
“Over two hours? That’s incredible!” Tamura exclaimed. “I can’t even fight for half an hour at my peak without collapsing.” He said.
“You do know you’ll probably get recommended to take up Nanao’s position as Lieutenant, right?” Imai said. I stopped my smiling when she said that; take up Nanao’s position? I couldn’t do that to her… yes, she hated my guts, but I still respected her. It should be seniority and skill over just skill. She was much older than I, or at least I thought she was.
“That’d be awesome If you became a Lieutenant, Ava! You’ll become a Captain for sure one of these days!” Tamura said.
“I don’t have any interest in becoming Lieutenant. I’ll turn it down if I have to. I also have no interest in becoming a Captain.” I said.
“Well, let’s continue this discussion later. You need to be taken care of first.” Imai said with a slightly forceful tone. I nodded in agreement; I wouldn’t be able to argue and make my point if I were bothered by my injuries.
“Thank you, Imai. I don’t think I wouldn’t been able to argue about my feelings and opinions in this condition.” I said, turning around and heading for the Fourth Squads barracks. Tamura and Imai accompanied me, insisting on helping me over since I didn’t look like I could walk by myself. By the time I got there, there were a few people waiting for me; I knew there’d be at least one person waiting for me, so it came as no surprise.
“That was an amazing battle, Ava, sir!” said a younger-looking member of Squad Four.
“I can’t believe you even managed to get a few hits on Captain Kyōraku! He is one of the toughest Captains we have.” Said a young female that looked like she was about to burst with joy from being able to help me.
“Well, thank you, each one of you.” I replied back with a smile.
“You should become a Captain! Or a Lieutenant, at least.” the third one said that had been quiet up until now. I stopped when he said it; Tamura and Imai had said that I should be one as well. But I had no intention of ever becoming a Captain. Lieutenant was even going too far for me. I just wanted to be a normal Shinigami that did what they were supposed to do; kill hollows. I didn’t care about ranks or anything… but how would I get that through to everybody else?
“Go on, Ava; we’re talking about that later, remember?” Imai said, giving me a nudge. I unfroze and kept on walking; I wouldn’t say anything about my opinions and feelings to these kids. It would probably upset them or make them really confused and ask a lot of questions. Having my arm wrapped around Tamura, who had to stoop down for me to do so, I made my way inside, feeling the burden of my injuries even more than I had before.
“Yes, I know, Imai. But I don’t see the point in discussing it with anybody. I have my mind made up already and nothing will change that,” I said, then turned my head to Tamura. “Thanks, Tamura.” I said, following the three young members of Squad Four through their hospitality building.
“No problem, Ava. I figured you’d eventually need some help. You are quite tough, but I don’t there there’s a single soul that can walk away from a battle just fine and dandy… at least, not for too long. I expect that Captain Kyōraku will be here later as well if he isn’t already here.” Tamura said.
“Unless he tended to his wounds himself, which is a possibility since the only people that come here are injured Shinigamis below Captain rank. Most Captains don’t even treat their wounds; they just let them heal on their own.” Imai said.
“Didn’t you just graduate, Imai?” I asked. She looked stunned and gave me a ‘what-are-you-talking-about?’ look for a second.
“Well, yeah, of course I did. Why?” she asked.
“How do you know so much about what Captains and regular seated officers and even non-seated Officers do and don’t do on a daily basis?” I asked her, but I didn’t get an answer as we went into a room that was prepared to patch me up from my battle with Captain Kyōraku.
“Please, sit here, Ava.” The young female of the squad said as I followed her instruction, and they got to work. Before they started, they asked if I wanted to be healed right away with their healing magic or to take the long way around with bandages by themselves. Everybody thought I should take the magic healing itself and use a few bandages if they were necessary. However, I wanted to be different, so I took the bandages by themselves instead. The consequence of that was that I had to stay in bed for a few days at least. Well, the benefit of that would be that I would get to talk to Imai and Tamura about my wanting to just be a regular Shinigami. The bad thing is that I would likely get a lot of visitors, and that would mean a lot of questions and recommendations by other Shinigamis about my un-seated rank. It would be hard to explain to them why I didn’t want to become a Captain or even be seated that high if at all. I didn’t want attention drawn to myself; all I wanted was to be *censored*igned to the Real World and have that as my permanent post. I had never been there, but I knew enough about it from stories I heard in the Soul Society, and I knew it would be much different than it was when I was there. I barely even remember my time in the World of the Living. The only thing I remembered is how I died, which I don’t like to recall very often. Nobody has asked, so I haven’t told anybody about it. I didn’t like sharing my personal past with other people very much. It was quite the opposite with other people, though, I knew. They loved to share their pasts and didn’t care what others thought about it. I was the odd one out, always keeping to myself and wanting to hide from everybody. Well, not hide, but… be unsocialized. In a sense, I was shy, though to Tamura and Imai they would think I wasn’t. They probably just thought I was thick-headed and stubborn and probably a bit crazy for not wanting to become a Captain, which everybody said I had the potential for it. When they were done, I was forced to stay in the bed, and the three young squad members left. The majority of the bandages were on my left side from the many blows I received there. I got to thinking… did Captain Kyōraku purposely hit me on the left side? And, if he did, what was the purpose for that?
“Now, Ava. Why the heck do you not want to even be ranked?” Imai asked, pulling up a chair.
“I could understand not wanting to be a Captain, especially since you haven’t been here for that long, but for being ranked… some are even glad to be considered for it.” Tamura said. I just shrugged as I laid my head on my pillow and put my hands behind my head, elbows jutting outward.
“I didn’t even think about becoming a Captain at the time. I wasn’t even completely sure what one was until I met Captain Kyōraku. I just want to be there to protect those Souls in the World of the Living when Hollows attack. That’s the only reason I joined the Thirteen Court Guard Squads.” I said.
“But if you get recommended by half of the Captains and are acknowledged by at least two others, then you have to become a Captain.” Tamura said. I just shook my head.
“I’ll turn it down if it comes to that.” I said.
“You can’t turn it down! That has never happened before, Ava; if that did happen, you’d be the first to become a Captain like that.” Tamura said.
“What made you want to only kill Hollows as a Shinigami and not care about anything else?” Imai asked. That question startled me; hadn’t I told them before?
“Well… I saw so many souls that had been attacked by hollows that had either a friend or relative soul with them. They ended up being chased by hollows and one of them got extremely unlucky, if you know what I mean. Little kids lose their parents or vice versa even when they’re human. Though, sometimes one got saved before the other and they are both still souls, but they can’t find each other. Everybody knows it’s nearly impossible to help reunite Souls with friends or family. I enjoyed doing that; in my time off, I think I’ll go back to the place where the normal Souls live and help reunite them.” I said.
“You said something like that when we first met, didn’t you?” Imai asked tentatively.
“Perhaps I did. I don’t remember… it feels like such a long time ago that we met, though it’s only been what… five, six years or so?” I asked Imai and Tamura.
“Well, yeah… now that you say that, Imai, that does sound sort of familiar… well, Ava, whatever is your decision, I’m right behind you, even if it might seem a little crazy or unreasonable.” Tamura said.
“Me, too,” Imai said with a nod. “You’ll probably have a ton of visitors within the next few days that you are here. Watch out for the sly ones who will try to get you to do something that you shouldn’t do.” Imai said, shooting a glance at Tamura.
“Yeah… we hear that Captain Kurotsuchi is looking for a new experiment that has high stamina. You might be a target for him. Nobody really trusts him with his… experiments.” Tamura said. Captain Kurotsuchi was at it again? The last time he was experimenting, it didn’t turn out so well… Though, nobody really told the Head Captain what happened for fear of Kurotsuchi experimenting on them or doing something to them while they slept.
“Well, you never know, Tamura… it could be beneficial in the long run for all we know.” I replied. Tamura and Imai both stared at me, dumbfounded.
“How can you say that, Ava? You know what’s happened to most of his experiments! Don’t even think about taking him up on an offer if he comes to you!” Imai said.
“Geez, Imai, chill out will you?” I said. “I’m not going to take his offer if he comes by.” I said which seemed to relieve both of them. “I’ll only consider it.” I added with a grin.
“Ava Sen!” Imai exclaimed, giving me a nice hard punch on my newly-bandaged shoulder.
“Ow! Imai, what the heck was that for?” I exclaimed, wincing slightly.
“I don’t care if you’re serious or not, you shouldn’t joke around like that! The Seireitei needs someone like you; don’t waste yourself.” Imai said, taking a step back. “Come on Tamura, we have things to do.” Imai said, sounding almost bitter. Tamura glanced at me before following her; what had I said that had made her act like that? Captain Kurotsuchi couldn’t be all that terrible, could he? Well, judging by her ex
pression and the way that most females are… it would be a while before she talked to me again. Especially if for whatever reason the Captain paid me a visit… I almost wished he would visit, but part of me dreaded the thought at the same time.

“Imai, what’s your problem? He was just joking, you know!” Tamura exclaimed, barely able to keep up with Imai’s flash step.
“I don’t care, Tamura. I’ve heard what he’s done, what he’s capable of, and what he’s tried to do to me.” Imai said. Tamura stopped dead in his tracks, shocked at what Imai had said. She kept on going ahead, leaving Tamura to wonder what she had meant; what he’s tried to do to her? Did Captain Kurotsuchi really try to do something to Imai? That would explain her hostility toward him, but… why get mad at someone else for joking around about him? Perhaps it was something more serious that one would imagine… Tamura didn’t bother to try and catch up to Imai. He would see her later that evening at least anyway. It wouldn’t hurt to wait until then. Turning around, Tamura began to walk back to his Squad’s barracks to hang out for the rest of the likely uneventful day ahead of him. He’d make another visit to Ava first thing in the morning, unless his Captain was there. The topic of discussion for the next month would be of the battle that had happened that day; how Ava fought on Par with Captain Kyōraku without even using his Shikai and how he had managed to temporarily shatter the Captain’s dual zanpakutou. How had he done that? Was he really that strong? Even Captain Hitsugaya, the boy genius, wasn’t been that powerful, yet… why was Ava so powerful?

Argh

11:44pm Nov 12 2009 (last edited on 11:45pm Nov 12 2009)

Normal User

Betrayal

“But, Captain… I really insist.” Lisa pleaded as she tended to her Captain’s wounds.
“Now, Lisa, we don’t want to rush into things. I agree he is something else, but we don’t know for sure yet if he even wants to be a seated officer, let alone a Lieutenant. Besides, you’ve been my Lieutenant for a long while and you know what to do. How would I explain to Ava how he should act? It wouldn’t be the same.” The Captain said with a chuckle.
“But it shouldn’t matter what he wants, Captain! He deserves the rank of at least a Lieutenant. I wouldn’t be able to last a minute against him if we had an actual battle. I’m surprised he hasn’t challenged you yet.” Lisa said.
“Well, you’re right on both accounts I suppose. However… though he’s been in our Squad for a little over six years, I still don’t know much about him. But what I do know is that he won’t challenge me to take my place. He’s not the type that would do something like that. He’s more reserved and quiet… not one who wants to pick fights and the one to take the beating instead of a friend and one to take risks that he knows will end badly.” The Captain said.
“But, Captain… you said yourself you don’t know much about him. How do you know that he won’t suddenly change his personality or something? For all we know, we could have another Aizen on our hands!” Lisa exclaimed. Captain Kyōraku stiffened at the mention of the name that was rarely spoken anymore.
“I can’t guarantee anything. We’ll just have to wait it out. Thank you, Lisa. I think I’ll pay him a visit. Keep the guys out of trouble, will you?” Captain Kyōraku said, slipping on his robe and pink flowery kimono over it. Lisa knew she had over-stated what she had intended… she wanted to apologize, but before she could do so, her Captain was out the door and on his way to see Ava. So, perhaps he wasn’t another Aizen, but it was possible that he could challenge Shunsui anytime he wanted to… and he was still growing stronger, as was evident today. But the question still remained… how did Ava become so powerful? And how could they not have noticed his spiritual pressure before? Had it become so much that he decided to just not suppress it and finally got attention? But what was more… he had a strange sixth sense; knowing when someone was following him and he could predict where someone would attack him from, which is how he survived so long fighting against Captain Kyōraku. He already had a Captain-level spiritual pressure, though he would need some training before he’d be able to defeat one… or, would he actually be able to defeat one? If Captain Kyōraku was right in his thinking, then they’d never know. She only hoped he was right; someone as powerful as Ava could overtake maybe the Head Captain a couple hundred years. From how much she knew, it was a very slim chance, but power could corrupt a person. Once Captain Kyōraku returned, she would pay a visit to Ava herself and talk with him. She wanted it to be alone so that she could perhaps understand him better and not feel pressured.

Another visitor, great, I thought as I waited for whomever it was to enter the room. It was odd, though… I didn’t recognize it, but I had a bad feeling about who it might be. When I opened my eyes and sat up to look at the entryway, I wasn’t really all that surprised to see Captain Kurotsuchi there with his Lieutenant, Nemu. I stopped myself from saying something I knew would at the very least irk him, so I waited for him to reach the side of my bed.
“Well now, Ava, that was a great fight you put on out there.” He said with his trademark weird grin.
“Thank you, Captain Kurotsuchi.” I replied, sitting up.
“You know, I’ve been looking for someone who has great stamina and a strong will, and you fit that deion exactly.” He said.
“I’ve heard somewhat about what you’ve been looking for. And I’m going to tell you, depending on what it is; I may or may not be interested.” I said.
“Well now, Nemu, have you gone blabbering about my plans to anyone?” the Captain asked his Lieutenant.
“No, sir, I have not.” Nemu replied softly, almost as if she were ashamed of speaking.
“You twit, of course you did! How else would he know about it?” the Captain demanded, acting as if he were ready to hit her.
“Actually, Captain Kurotsuchi, I had a hunch you’d be coming here. I wasn’t sure that you were even looking for a new test subject or anything, really.” I said.
“Hmm. Well, would you like to hear me out?” the Captain asked, folding his arms and giving me a very odd-looking stare.
“Fire away.” I said with an inward sigh.
“Well, I’ve developed a type of serum that will allow whoever takes it to change into something other than a Shinigami. My original goal was an animal of some sort, but there have been other things that have happened. I’ve tampered quite a few times with it now, and I’m sure I’ve perfected it. However, only someone with a great willpower and stamina will be able to handle it because it requires great strength to go freely from one form to another, saying it works.” Captain Kurotsuchi said. This was very unlike him; usually he just briefly described something and said no questions; he was describing in detail now about his plans. All in all, it didn’t sound too bad at all… whether Imai would hate him or not after this was up to her. But, she didn’t have to know, did she? I felt another presence that I knew well enter the Squad Four barracks; Captain Kyōraku. I had no idea how he’d react if he saw Captain Kurotsuchi in here with me, so I quickly made a decision.
“I’ll do it.” I said.
“Excellent! When you are fully recovered, I will talk more with you about it. Come, Nemu, I have a few more errands to run.” Captain Kurotsuchi said, turning to leave. I gave a sigh of relief as he exited in the opposite direction that my Captain was entering from. Perhaps he, too, knew that my Captain was coming and didn’t want to be caught by him. A minute later, Captain Kyōraku walked lazily into my room, a piece of gr*censored* sticking out of the corner of his mouth, his clothes washed and his wounds cleaned and bandaged.
“Thanks for a great battle, Ava. It’s great to know that someone as young as you can be so strong.” He said, pulling up a chair.
“No problem. It’s good to have a challenge now and then.” I said, gazing out the window into the garden behind the Fourth Squad’s barracks.
“You know, Ava… you could definitely be a seated officer if you wanted to be.” Captain Kyōraku said, coming almost straight out.
“Yes, I know, Captain. But I have no interest in becoming a Lieutenant, or even a Captain for that matter. All I want is to be *censored*igned to the World of the Living and help reunite souls with family members, really.” I said.
“Oh? Why do you wish to be *censored*igned to the World of the Living, Ava?” the Captain asked me; that’s right, I hadn’t told him, had I? I’d been with him for how long, and he still didn’t know?
“I hate seeing souls not get a chance to do one last thing before they’re sent here, and look for their parents or siblings and get told that they will likely never see them again once they get to the Soul Society.” I replied simply.
“Oh. So, you are just looking to help out the more unfortunate souls, then?” the Captain asked me. I nodded. “Someone as strong as you should want to do more than that. You are capable of so much more, Ava. You shouldn’t let your power go to waste by simply just helping them.” He said. That shocked me; I thought him, of all people, would understand where I came from. “Instead, you should take it up with Old Man Yamamoto and ask if you could head your own force that helps out the unfortunate souls of the World of the Living and the Soul Society. There has never been anything like that before, and I’m sure he’d at least take it into consideration.” He said. I was speechless; how would I respond to that? I had thought about that, but only doing it in secret… why would Head Captain Yamamoto consider something like that? It was far inferior to, say, the Kido Corps and Stealth Force.
“But, Captain… wouldn’t it sound a little… out of line? I mean, the Kido Corps and Stealth Force, for example… they have many great members and have a purpose. They’ve been around for centuries.” I said, knowing he meant well but knowing full well that he was only trying go get my hopes up.
“Who says there can’t be a new Ops or a new force of some sort, Ava? The Seireitei is changing a lot now; it isn’t what it used to be when I first came here. Changes are more prone to happening and ideas are more accepted now than before. We don’t want more bad incidents happening like they have in the past.” Captain Kyōraku said.
“But, who else would want to do what I want to do? Even if by some chance Captain Yamamoto allowed it, there wouldn’t be enough Shinigamis or other people interested in doing it, I don’t think.” I said.
“Oh, you’d be surprised, Ava, believe me. I’ve heard others who would like to do what you do. Even those who aren’t Shinigamis would love to help out with that kind of thing. Take Ichigo Kurosaki, for instance. He’s a substitute Shinigami, but he’s asked before what’s being done about reuniting souls that have died at different times with their real families. I’m sure if you two met, you’d be able to convince him to help out with that. And he has quite a few friends that would do anything to help him out in whatever he does as well.” Captain Kyōraku said. Ichigo… I had heard that name before. He was a great attribute to the Soul Society; he had defeated two of the Captains, Byakuya Kuchiki and Kenpachi Zaraki, and lived to tell the tale. He’d defeated many Arrancar and Espada when Aizen had been a threat. He had befriended an ex-Espada and in turn, had gained the trust of a powerful ally. I had heard much about him, but never seen him. It seemed as though every time he visited the Soul Society trouble followed shortly after. And whenever he did show up, I was busy doing something else and when I finally got non-busy, he had disappeared. I rarely spoke with the two Shinigamis who were apparently the closest to him, Renji and Rukia. Rukia was almost always in the World of the Living, and Renji, well… I’m not sure what was up with him. He almost purposely tried to avoid me.
“I’ll think more about it in the coming years. Right now, I just want to work on getting a good reputation and keeping it. I don’t like it that some people *censored*ume that I will turn out like Aizen. I want to prove first that I will not be like him, then gain the trust of others.” I said.
“Well now, Ava. That sounds like that’ll take a while.” The Captain commented, sounding as if he were hinting around to not do it.
“Yeah, it will take time. But it will be worth it, I think. I have you on my side, I hope. I have Imai and Tamura from Captain Ukitake’s Squad as a start.” I said.
“Don’t forget you have Lisa, too, Ava; and most of the rest of this Squad on your side. Most people just don’t understand you and fear you because of how powerful you are. I’ve explained to my Squad members that you mean them no harm and most believe me, but there are a few that are still wary. I know it will be hard to please other Captains, as some have protested about you skipping the Shinigami Academy, and when they realized you didn’t need to go there, they protested on whether letting someone like you join the Thirteen Court Guard Squads. When the Captains doubt someone, then their subordinates doubt even more and it’s hard to gain their trust since even their Captain doubts.” Captain Kyōraku said.
“I’ll bet I can guess who…” I muttered.  Captain Kyōraku gave a chuckle as he heard that.
“They’re scared of you, Ava. You’re like a big, bad person whose intentions are unknown at this point. Most of them won’t take too long to convince you’re harmless. Others will still feel the same about you no matter what, though; it’s the same with everyone, though. Everybody has enemies, some more than others. You just learn to live with it, Ava.” He said light-heartedly.
“Thanks, Captain. I needed that.” I said with a genuine smile. I was happy that he had brought up that fact; of course everyone had enemies. Of course everyone had issues with other people, it was the way life in the Soul Society was.
“No problem, Ava. Before I head out, I’d like to ask you a question, though,” Captain Kurotsuchi said, standing up and pausing.
“Go for it.” I said with a slight shrug.
“What did Captain Kurotsuchi want with you?” he asked. I froze, numb with fear of what Captain Kyōraku would do to Captain Kurotsuchi and me if he found out. “If you end up hurt or dead because of something he wants you to do, you know I’ll be right there when it happens. Don’t agree to anything he says, Ava. He is one that cannot be trusted in that way.” He said straight out. “Well, I’ll see you tomorrow. As soon as you get out, I’ll have your first *censored*ignment ready for you.” Captain Kyōraku said. The only reason he is going to *censored*ign me is likely to get away from Captain Kurotsuchi… but, I will prove to other people that Captain Kurotsuchi really meant well; he just had a different way of thinking. However, if I did end up somehow injured by this experiment or even dead, then I wouldn’t put it past Captain Kyōraku to do something about it. Of course, if I lived to tell the tale and people found out, it would a funeral for me likely because of how few people trust Captain Kurotsuchi. I smiled to myself, musing at how many enemies I’d make by taking up Captain Kurotsuchi on his offer. But, if it was what he said, a shape-shifting of some sort, then it could benefit me in the World of the Living at some points, could it not? Only one way to find out…

“You should be able to go back to your Squad today, Ava.” one of the three young Squad Four members that had been caring for me for the past few days told me.
“Thanks. Your hospitality was great. You should get promoted, along with your two friends.” I commented, slipping on my stitched and washed kimono.
“Thank you, Ava, sir!” he said with enthusiasm.
“If it were up to me, and my opinion mattered, I’d recommend you to Captain Unohana.” I said with a smile, heading out of the room.
“Th-thanks! Do you need help finding your way out?” he asked.
“No, thank you. I think I know my out from here.” I replied, heading down the hallway. I nodded at every Squad Four member that I p*censored*ed by in respect, trying to get some good reputation started. I knew that Captain Kyōraku would probably expect me back as soon as possible, so I had to hurry and find Captain Kurotsuchi before he suspected anything. I wasn’t completely sure on where to find him, so the first place I headed was his laboratory, making sure nobody saw me as I went. I saw a few of his Squad Members, but didn’t bother asking them if they knew where he was. Knowing my luck, he would just randomly appear somewhere, or his Lieutenant Nemu would. Once I got near the more restricted area of his Squad, I was more cautious.
“Hey! What are you doing here? You aren’t allowed down here!” I heard a voice behind me say. I turned around quickly and was about to say something when the person froze after seeing who I was. “Oh! Ava! Ah, well, what are you doing here?” he corrected himself.
“Sorry to barge in like this… I was looking for Captain Kurotsuchi, actually…” I said with a sigh.
“Oh, he’s in his laboratory right now, though I don’t think he’ll want to be disturbed…” he said, scratching the back of his head.
“Oh, that’s fine. I’m sure he won’t mind me barging in on him. It’ll only take a few minutes or so,” I said, hoping it would only be a few minutes.
“Well, alright. But as soon as you enter, I’m gone.” The guy said, motioning for me to follow him. The guy seemed a bit skittish, and jumped at every movement and noise, and cringed when he was around me.
“Thank you. This will definitely save me some time instead of aimlessly wandering about.” I said.
“No problem, Ava! Anything for you.” He said hurriedly, turning down a hallway that was definitely different from the others. He paused in front of the only two doors at the end, and knocked.
“Who dare disturb me while I’m busy?” came the hiss of Captain Kurotsuchi’s voice. The guy was about to answer, but I stopped him.
“It’s Ava, Captain Kurotsuchi. Sorry to bother you at a time like this.” I said.
“Oh! Ava, come right on in, please! I was wondering when you’d get up off of that lazy rear end of yours.”  Captain Kurotsuchi said, as the doors opened. I went right in, and I was amazed at how small the room actually was. It had three large screens with a piano as the keyboard with symbols on each key. There was a few stairs to get to it, and the Captain was at the screens typing away. His Lieutenant, Nemu, was there as well, standing obediently at his side. He swiveled his chair around to face me, placing his hands together in front of him as he looked at me.
“I would *censored*ume you’ve completely made up your mind about doing it, then?” he asked me. When I nodded, he turned to Nemu. “Go fetch the syringe, Nemu. And be quick about it!” he snapped at her. She gave a slight bow before using a flash step to meet his demands. “Now, then; we will be able to see immediate results with the way that this works. For you it might be weird at first, but you should be able to control it over time.” He said. A few moments later, Nemu appeared with a medium-sized syringe. “And you’re sure it’s the right one?” I heard the Captain mutter to Nemu, who nodded.
“It was labeled as you had specified, and it’s the same as the others you’ve used.” She said confidently.
“Excellent!” he exclaimed, standing up. “Come here, boy. This will only take a few seconds, and then it will all be over.” Captain Kurotsuchi said with a very malevolent-looking grin. Something was not right here… but, it was too late to back out now. “Just stick out your arm, Ava.” Kurotsuchi said. I followed his orders, wondering if this was a bad decision.
“You sure this will work?” I asked him.
“Of course, Ava; I told you I had perfected it, didn’t I? Don’t be so worrisome!” the Captain exclaimed, taking the syringe from Nemu. “Well, Ava, it was great knowing you.” He said at last second before injecting me. Before I could question him, a cold blackness swept over me. I didn’t even see it coming; I didn’t even know I had fallen over or hit the floor. I was alert one second, and the next I was in a cold blackness.

“Ah, just look at him, the poor kid. He didn’t even see it coming. Well, it looks like that poison worked much faster when combined with the serum. It would’ve taken a few minutes for him to go unconscious at least if it hadn’t been for that. Well, to fit the story, I might as well release my Bankai and have it finish what’s left of the boy.” Captain Kurotsuchi said, looking at the young boy on the ground. He unsheathed his Zanpakutou, and without saying so much as ‘Bankai’, he released it, and a giant worm with a golden-colored head that looked like a baby’s, as well as had two arms, appeared. He directed it at the boy on the ground, and with one blow, the head had smashed into Ava’s body. A few seconds later, blue particles began to come out around the m*censored*ive head, signaling that the job had been done. “Good. Now, Nemu, this is our little secret. Don’t tell anybody what really happened. As far as you’re concerned, he attacked me point blank for no reason, right?” Captain Kurotsuchi said.
“Of course; you had to retaliate to defend yourself.” Nemu replied, as the Bankai disappeared and Captain Kurotsuchi’s Zanpakutou returned to normal.
“Good girl. Now, let’s go explain what happened. They’ll all come rushing in momentarily, wondering why I released my Bankai.” Captain Kurotsuchi said, turning around and putting his Zanpakutou back in its sheath.

Where was I? What had happened to me? I could tell that the ground I was on was sand, but… it felt cool out. I opened my eyes to see that I was in a desert, with a moon high above. There seemed to be small, dead-looking trees here and there as well. My head felt horrible, and I didn’t even attempt to stand up. How long had I been out? I couldn’t help but get this odd sensation that I was somewhere I shouldn’t be, but was somewhat accepted. Teisei… what happened? I asked. You… don’t remember? Teisei Gotokuame asked. I shook my head. It was all a blur. The last thing I could remember was following a guy down the hallway… but to where? I knew I was a Shinigami, and belonged to a Squad, as well as my Zanpakutou’s name, but… Who was I? What was my name? Do you remember anything at all? Teisei asked. No… I… I can’t remember anything. Only that I was following a man down a hallway to go somewhere… I replied. Do you remember who you are, at least? Teisei asked. No, I don’t, I said in frustration. Well, we’ll have to work on this, then. Don’t worry too much… Ava. Just remember that your name is Ava, and we’ll go from there. It seems that once you came here, you lost a lot of your memories, Teisei said. Ava… well, that was a start, then. I found it odd, though… I can remember the name of my zanpakutou, but not my own.
“Hey, you don’t look like a typical every-day hollow.” A voice behind me said. I turned my head to look for the voice, but didn’t see any. “Down here, stupid!” the voice said. I looked down to see a medium-sized lizard watching me with fascination. “You look more human than anything, if you ask me. Except that black kimono you’re wearing… almost as if you’re a…” the lizard said, pausing. “You’re a Shinigami, aren’t you? Oh my gosh! What am I doing talking to a Shinigami?” the lizard said, freaking out and spazzing.
“Hey, shut up will you?” I said, resting my forehead in the palm of my hand.
“What if I don’t?” the lizard asked, cocking its head.
“I’ll make you shut up.” I said, glaring at the thing. Well, temporarily, at least, I had made it shut up.
“Well, if I shut up can I know what you are?” the lizard asked.
“Even if you did shut up, I wouldn’t provide you with an answer.” I said.
“Hey… now that’s rude!” the lizard exclaimed.
“Not that I don’t want to, it’s just that… I can’t. I don’t remember who I am… I know what I used to be, but… I don’t know how long ago that was.” I said. The lizard seemed to be a little less s*censored*y after that.
“You don’t remember who you are, and remember what you used to be… well, where were you before here?” the lizard asked.
“I was in the Soul Society. I used to be a Shinigami.” I said.
“Well, then, this should be a Shinigami’s worst nightmare. You’re in Hueco Mundo now.” The lizard said. Hueco Mundo… wasn’t that where the Hollow lived?
“But why did I come here? How did I get here…?” I said, more to myself than to anyone.
“How the heck am I supposed to know? I’ve only heard of Shinigamis, never seen one or heard how they do their business. Only that they kill us hollows that go into the Real World. I mean, well, the bigger ones that go there. How are they supposed to survive without eating souls? That’s like us trying to attack you Shinigamis when you eat your food.” The lizard said.
“Well, that makes sense, but… what we eat is much different than what you do. Ours we either make ourselves or it’s already completely dead when we eat it.” I said.
“Well… try telling that to the dumb idiots who think that it’s the same.” The lizard said. Talking about food had started making me hungry as well.
“Is there anything to eat around here?” I asked. The lizard looked taken aback.
“Well, uh… yeah, sure. But it’s hard to get because there’s a lot of tough Hollows around it usually.” The lizard said.
“So, how do you get your food, then?” I asked.
“I just live off of the air mostly… though, once every few months I’m able to get a few bites of the food here. Even though it’s dangerous for one as small as me, I can’t help but go back because it’s so good.” The lizard said.
“If you can show me where it is, I’ll help you get some.” I said.
“Ha! You may have once been a Shinigami, but I don’t think you’d be able to take one the bullies that guard the food.” The lizard said.
“Do you have a name?” I asked. Again, the lizard looked taken aback.
“Why would I have a name? Such things are insignificant here, Shinigami!” the lizard said. “Just follow me. Your funeral…” the lizard said, heading off into the desert. It looked the same in every direction to me; I would have to trust this lizard knew where it was going. If I got into trouble, I could use my bare hands most likely to fight my way out of it. Use some kido if absolutely necessary. Using Teisei Gotokuame would be a last resort, I decided.

“You see how big they are? If I try to p*censored* right now, they’ll just run me off.” The lizard said.
“Well, let’s change that, shall we? If they don’t let you through, tell them if they don’t you have a friend who’ll make them let you through.” I said.
“Why would you do that for me? I’m a Hollow… you’re an ex-Shinigami.” The lizard said.
“Everybody deserves to get a taste of real food, hollow or not. Besides, I can tell you have some good in you still, despite being a Hollow.” I said.
“Don’t even start with that goodness crap, Shinigami.” The lizard said, as it made its way toward the strangest-looking tree with the strangest-looking fruit on it. I noticed that there had been no other Hollows around, so… what was the big problem?
“Hey, look who returned to try and get some of the Soul Fruit.” A menacing-sounding voice said. Within a few seconds, three large Hollows appeared in front of the lizard.
“How many times we have to tell you? Only those worthy enough can p*censored* by us. You haven’t once defeated us in battle!” another one said.
“You better turn back before we decide to eat you. Not that it would satisfy us much since you’re so puny.” The third one said.
“Then this time will be different. I’ve been working on my attacks, and I have some backup just in case this doesn’t work.” The lizard said, rearing up on its legs. What was that lizard doing? Was it really going to try and defeat the three large Hollows by itself?
“Oh, come now. Backup, eh? What, another puny lizard to aid you in your feeble attempt at a Cero?” one asked. The lizard didn’t say anything after that; it just glared at the one who had said that, and pretty soon, an orange ball, quite small it was, started forming above its head. The three larger Hollows seemed to get a kick out of it, and didn’t even brace themselves. Once it was fired, it didn’t so much as make the one targeted take a step back. I wasn't even going to bother asking how that lizard had managed to learn how to use a Cero... 
“Hey, you left a mark this time. You have improved!” the one in the middle said, looking at the small indention where it had made contact upon him. “Have you seen our Ceros yet?” he asked. This is where the lizard started to get antsy.
“No, I haven’t. And I don’t wish to.” It said plainly.
“Well, what a pity. You’ll get to see it now.” The one in the middle said. At once, all three began charging up their Ceros; the one in the middle with his clawed hand, and the other two with their mouths. The lizard began retreating, but it was too late; they had fired their Cero. I knew it might be too late to do anything for the small lizard, but I tried anyways. I had never gone against a Hollow before, but I could stop some of the weaker Kido attacks with my bare hand I knew. I used a flash step to get in the way just before it made contact. The Ceros were not all that powerful, but together they were powerful. I held both hands up to ward them off as long as I could. I could feel the palms of my hands begin to go raw, but just before I drew Teisei Gotokuame they stopped.
“Hey, isn’t that a…?” one asked.
“A Shinigami!?” the other exclaimed.
“I’m no longer a Shinigami.” I said, standing up.
“You sure look like one to me.” The one in the middle commented with a worried snort.
“I died as a Shinigami and came here. I’m not going to go back there.” I said.
“Well, if you died as a Shinigami, then that means… you’ll be weak and without much power!” the one on the right said, charging up his Cero again. The other two quickly followed suit.
“You may be right about the first part. I am weak now, but I still have enough power to defeat the likes of you.” I said. “You are just weakly Hollow trying to pick on the ever more defenseless. That is something I do not like to see.” I said, using a flash step to get behind them. With my right and left hand, I shot a
Shakkahō at them, without the incantation, and sent them flying forwards. “You’re right, actually. I am quite a bit weaker and not as strong.” I said. The last one quickly turned around and released his Cero in fear that he would end up like his two companions. Since the other Ceros were farther away, it had been much easier to deflect them, if you’d call it easy. Though this was only one Cero, it was close-up, and it had a little more power behind it. I crossed my arms in an X in front of me, and let the Cero do its toll on me. After all, that was probably his best attack. It wasn’t like he could use a flash step or anything as soon as he was done with his Cero. I dug my bare feet into the desert sand to prevent myself from going back any farther. I heard a chuckling of some sort as soon as the Cero ended, and when I lowered my arms the Hollow wasn’t there anymore.
“You don’t know who you’re dealing with, boy.” The Hollow said; it was easy to tell where his voice was coming from. Hado I was pretty good at… I could all Hado by memory, and use all of it without the incantation. Bakudo, however, I knew the incantations, but I needed to at least say the name for it to be as effective as I wanted it to. “Bakudo Sixty One, Rikujōkōrō.” I said, pointing a finger in the direction I knew the Hollow would come from.
“I think that should’ve been my line.” I said as the Hollow cried out in surprise being bound by the six beams surrounding him now. I walked over to him and crouched down as he struggled to even move a single muscle In his body other than his mouth.
“But, but… this is… impossible…!” the Hollow exclaimed, failing in his attempt to at least sit up. I unsheathed Teisei Gotokuame and held it at the Hollow’s throat, who in turn trembled.
“Now, do you wish to continue living?” I asked, knowing what I would end up doing no matter what his answer was.
“Y-yes! Just let me go!” the Hollow said with a trembling voice. The other two had recovered somewhat from my attack, and I could tell they were charging up another Cero. I knew that these three would not learn anything, so I decided it would be best if I just helped them move along. I took Teisei Gotokuame away from the others throat and with one hand, I sent a Sōren Sōkatsui their way before they could even unleash their Ceros. It completely obliterated both at the same time, dissolving them into more energy for the littler Hollows who wouldn’t stand a chance in the World of the Living to ingest. I turned to the last one, who was frozen in fear. I brought Teisei Gotokuame up above my head.
“It’s the end of the line for you.” I said, bringing my arm down. He didn’t even make a noise; he just lay there, motionless, accepting his fate. A voice echoed in my head; Well, Ava, it was great knowing you… Who had said that? My conscience was telling me that it had been betrayal that had caused me to end up in Hueco Mundo.

Argh

11:44pm Nov 12 2009

Normal User

Remembering, Moving On, Being Found

How many years had it been since I came to Hueco Mundo? I had stopped keeping track of time. All I knew was that it had been a long time, and I still didn’t remember everything that I should. I had Teisei Gotokuame with me, as well as the Lizard who was not-so-small anymore that I had met the first day I had come here. I had helped the lizard become stronger by devouring other Hollows, and in turn he taught me how to produce a Cero and use a Garganta, though he never dared to use it himself. A few times I had used it, only to chase after Hollows that I knew would be extra troublesome in the World of the Living, but quickly returned before any Shinigamis that may have been *censored*igned to the World of the Living would notice that I had gone there. I knew that I had started becoming like a Hollow; I was unmerciful when it came to killing the other Hollows, but I still had some emotions and feelings; mainly for Keikan, the lizard, and Teisei Gotokuame. Keikan had grown so much and gotten so much more powerful that I found it impossible to realize how small he used to be. He was now almost as big as me, and still getting bigger. Keikan had begun to kill weaker Hollows himself; however, his Cero was still not very powerful. I trained with him almost every day (or, what would be considered ‘day’ in Hueco Mundo) and also found out that I could do something else much more fascinating; I could turn into a dog. I had remembered back far enough to know that one of the Captains had asked me to help him with an experiment. So I had worked on that some as well and had gotten better with my time it took to transform. I had gained a sort of respect amongst the Hollows, and some even came to me for training. I knew that it was not good for the helpless Souls in the World of the Living, but what could I do about it? If I went to the World of the Living, I would eventually be found by the Soul Society. Besides; here, I could exterminate the definite troublesome Hollow. I still wanted to help Souls, but… my wanting to just be left alone was stronger.

“Ava, would you fancy having a sparring session before we set off to find our meals?” Keikan asked. I had been staring up out of the small den in the dunes that I had made for the two of us.
“Sure, why not?” I said, lazily getting up as I wrapped the fur cloak around my neck. I had long ago ditched the Kimono that I had come to Hueco Mundo with. I now wore some short pants that I had made out of the hair I collected off of a few hollows before killing them. I looked more like a person who had been living in the desert for a while; I knew I didn’t look much older than I had when I first came to Hueco Mundo, but that didn’t mean anything. Keikan took his stance, and I took mine, laying Teisei Gotokuame on a shelf as I readied myself. Keikan and I locked eyes for a moment before he charged at me. I quickly dodged, and shot a Rikujōkōrō at him without the incantation. He knew this was always the first move I’d use, and he’d gotten accustomed to dodging it easily with his sonido. I had to admit; he was getting much better than I had anticipated. Sonido was better to use in Hueco Mundo and in the World of the Living, as I’d found out. It was easier and seemed somewhat faster than shunpo was. Perhaps that was only because I had been using sonido for much longer now and hadn’t used a flash step for a while. Shunpo was more… soothing and not as attention-grabbing, and sonido was rough-feeling and attracted more attention. As Keikan came at me with his tail, I merely blocked it with a single arm, but was surprised at how much force was behind it now; it didn’t even look as though Keikan was trying. I was sent flying back because I hadn’t braced myself, and Keikan didn’t let up. He shot a much more mature Cero in my direction, which I had to use both arms to ward it off; by the time the Cero had finished, both of my arms were completely raw, and Keikan was at it again. This time, when he swung his tail I completely dodged it, and instead, grabbed it and threw him out into the open. “You’ll have to think of something to do if your tail misses, Keikan.” I said, walking out. Keikan nodded his large head, knowing he had to do something.
“You know, Ava… I’ve been thinking… when you’re gone I’ve been going out on little strolls. I’ve noticed that the Hollows that looked part human have nearly disappeared completely now. I’ve also realized that the fighting at the dome has stopped.” Keikan said. He was right; I had noticed that too.
“Yes. It would seem as though whatever happened is finished. Though, it’s strange… I could’ve sworn I saw Shinigami here a few days ago.” I said, removing the cape from around my body and laying it on the sand.
“Really? Do you think that they were fighting the much more powerful Hollows in the dome, then? And if they did… do you think they won?” Keikan asked. I shrugged; I had no concern with what the Shinigami were up to. I was still young and care-free and could care less as to what happened to Shinigami anymore. The thought of Shinigami brought another flashback; this time, one I hadn’t had before. It was only a few seconds long, but it was accompanied by an image… Once I came back from it, I remembered how and why I was sent here, and then everything else made sense.
“Ava?” Keikan asked, concerned.
“It’s nothing, Keikan. I just remembered how I got here finally is all.” I said, scratching the back of my head.
“You got that memory back? It’s about time!” Keikan exclaimed. So, Captain Kurotsuchi had went back on his word. Betrayed me… it wasn’t like I could do anything about it now anyways. I had been long forgotten in the Soul Society. An odd feeling came to me… almost as if multiple Garganta were opening up all over the place, and tons of Hollows were getting out, heading to the real world. I could tell that Keikan was feeling something as well.
“Fancy going to the real world?” I asked. All Keikan did was nod. I picked up my cape, went inside the den and attached Teisei Gotokuame around my waist. When I came out, Keikan was waiting, a glint in his eyes that was a sign he was ready for action. Once I opened the Garganta, I decided that, in order to get less attention since I figured we’d be there a while; I’d have to use my dog form. Just before I entered the Garganta, I transformed, and we set off. I had already forgotten about the whole poisoning thing, proving how insignificant it was to me.

“Remember to use your tail effectively, Keikan. I’ll meet you back here. You take the west side and I’ll take the east.” I said, as I closed the Garganta. Keikan nodded, and we headed our separate ways. I had amplified senses to Hollows now; I could tell their intentions and where they would go before they even got there. That’s what I did to defeat my side of the town; within a few minutes, I had exterminated a few of mine. I could tell Keikan was working out as well, though he was having much more difficulty. I knew that if any of the Shinigami had come here, they’d have made their appearance, so I thought it would be alright to go back to my normal self once I got close enough to Keikan. Once I could see Keikan, finishing off a hollow and devouring it, I got comfortable; it was his last one. He hadn’t noticed me yet, and I don’t blame him, since I’m not even half his size like this, and everything you wouldn’t be able to tell I was there unless you saw me. I was about to say something, but froze when I saw a girl with short, black hair in a black kimono with a zanpakutou coming at him. I knew he wasn’t paying attention, and he barely caught sight of me before I transformed and used sonido to take the blow that was directed at Keikan’s mask. The blow had been powerful, but it wasn’t something I was too worried about. My body was easy to cut, but I’d had worse. The female Shinigami’s blade rested in my left forearm as I held it out in front of me. I could tell that Keikan hadn’t been expecting a real Shinigami to be there, let alone me protect him from one. My eyes burned with the p*censored*ion to protect Keikan; in duels he had been able to ward me off, but that’s only because I was holding back. Judging by her spiritual pressure, I could tell that Keikan wouldn’t be able to hold her off for very long. She was just as surprised as Keikan was at the sight of me protecting a Hollow. I didn’t look like a Shinigami anymore, aside from Teisei Gotokuame, who was snugly tucked away underneath my cape, not visible for the time being.
“Who are you?” the female asked, and behind her, another Shinigami appeared, this time a male with orange spiky hair and an over-sized zanpakutou on his back.
“Rukia! Are you alright? Who is that?” the guy asked. I narrowed my eyes as I took the blade of Rukia out from my arm.
“No answer?” she asked, taking a step back. “He obviously isn’t a Shinigami, but… his spiritual pressure is incredible. He looks like he’s just a kid!” Rukia said, taking a fighter’s stance.
“We do not wish to fight. Keikan, let’s go.” I said, turning to Keikan. I began walking away toward Keikan, but judging from his ex
pression, one of the two had come at me. I didn’t have to look at him, though; I just merely stepped aside as the blade came down where my head had been, and kicked whoever it had been; the girl, Rukia.
“Rukia! Damnit, you bastard!” the male said, grabbing the handle of his over-sized zanpakutou. He came at me with quite a bit of force, but since I was prepared this time, I merely stopped his blade with a single hand, and he got the look of sheer surprise.
“I told you, we do not wish to fight.” I said.
“Hado thirty three, Sōkatsui!” I heard the girl exclaim.
“I guess they just won’t listen. Keikan, you should leave.” I said. I had never told him that he would have to leave a battle, but this was different; two Shinigami, both with some pretty decent Spiritual Pressure. Keikan knew that I was being serious, and though I knew he would want to protest, the tone of my voice made him think twice. He retreated, never taking his eyes off of me and the two Shinigami, into a Garganta. The boy went after him, and the puny Kido attack came my way. I easily dodged the Kido attack, using a Sonido, and got in front of the boy, allowing Keikan to retreat.
“Alright, you; what’s a kid doing running around with a hollow? You aren’t one, are you?” the boy asked, pointing his zanpakutou at me. I just merely shook my head no.
“What are you, then? You can’t be a Shinigami… I’ve never seen you around before.” The girl named Rukia said.
“I ask myself that sometimes. I don’t really know anymore.” I said.
“Well, you’re *censored*ociated with hollows, and that’s enough of a reason for me to deal with you!” the boy exclaimed, placing his left hand on his right. He gathered a lot of spiritual pressure before exclaiming ‘Bankai’.
“Ichigo! Don’t!” Rukia exclaimed. Well, this is the way it had to be; even back when I had been a part of the Soul Society, I had never fought against a Bankai. I had one myself, but had never used it. I had achieved it what seemed like long ago just to p*censored* the time. Against these two I wouldn’t need to use it, I decided. When the boy’s Bankai was complete, he was in a tattered-looking Kimono and had a long, black blade instead; my guess was that instead of all power he gained immense speed. That would make it fun.
“You should listen to that girl.” I said, pointing to Rukia.
“Like that’ll happen.” Ichigo said.
“He doesn’t even have a sword to defend himself with, Ichigo! And he’s just a kid!” Rukia exclaimed.
“He’s *censored*ociated with Hollows nonetheless, Rukia. Didn’t you see how he appeared out of nowhere to block your blow on that giant Hollow earlier? And you didn’t so much as give him a deep cut. He’ll definitely have something up his sleeve for this.” Ichigo said. Rukia stopped commenting; it appeared as though she thought he was right. And boy, was she right of course. “You better be ready to submit, kid. I don’t like the idea of injuring you, but I don’t really have a choice.” Ichigo said, using an enhanced flash step. I could see through his intentions; I had to do this bare-handed, or I wouldn’t be able to return to Hueco Mundo. I turned exactly as he flash stepped behind me. As he swung his zanpakutou down with great force, I surrounded my arm in spiritual pressure where it would make contact, and held it up. Since it was such a thin barrier, it was impossible to tell that it hadn’t even made contact. Ichigo took it the wrong way, and thought my skin was impossibly hard. His eyes went wide as he withdrew.
“But… how…?” Ichigo asked. Before he could do anything else, I used Sonido to get up right in front of him and used a good kick to his stomach, with some spiritual pressure around it, amplifying it much more. It sent him flying backwards, and he struggled to get a grasp on his footing.
“Come now. It won’t be fun if it’s only one against me. You, girl, Rukia; come at me with all you have.” I said, not looking in her direction.
“I’m more than enough for you!” Ichigo exclaimed, raising his sword. “Getsuga…” he started. A powerful attack would be coming next, I knew. “Tensho!” he exclaimed. A large semi-circle of black spiritual energy came at me. I narrowed my eyes; I would use a Kido to counter-attack it. I decided on Raikōhō. With one hand, and much concentration, I shot a m*censored*ive wave at the Getsuga Tensho. It completely obliterated it, and still went through, heading toward Ichigo. As that was happening, Rukia had finally come to her senses and came at me with her zanpakutou as well. I didn’t try as hard this time, and I raised my injured arm this time and held the blade in place as she struggled to bring it down on me.
“Come now. Is that all you got, Shinigami?” I asked, emphasizing the word ‘Shinigami’. Rukia had a fear in her eyes, but I knew she would try to play me. Just by touching her zanpakutou, I could tell it was ice-based. A second before she started to say anything I used Sonido to avoid it; it had been a large shot of ice forward, and it extended for a few yards. Obviously, Rukia thought she would’ve gotten me with that. I could feel a great increase in spiritual pressure from the boy, and I could feel a Hollow-like presence about him.
“Ichigo!” the girl exclaimed, and I could feel him moving toward me. Greater strength and speed; I would have to use Teisei Gotokuame now. Just before he made contact, I drew mine and blocked with my good arm. Both of us looked surprised at each other; Ichigo surprised to see me wield a Zanpakutou, and I was surprised to see him with… a hollow mask on. What was this guy?
“Th-that’s a zanpakutou!” Rukia exclaimed in shock.
“You’re quite the obvious commenter, Rukia.” I said, hopping back from him.
“I thought you said you weren’t a Shinigami!” Ichigo exclaimed, his yellow and black eyes narrowing underneath his Hollow mask.
“Correct. I suppose I didn’t specify it enough. You see, I used to be a Shinigami. That was before I was killed.” I said.
“Killed?” Rukia asked.
“But, if you got killed, how can you still be alive…? Unless…” Ichigo said, lowering his zanpakutou.
“I was reborn in Hueco Mundo.” I said, shaking some hair out of my face.
“What’s your name? How old are you?” Rukia asked.
“I cannot answer your questions.” I said my face expressionless.
“Rukia, you know what’s happened to Shinigami who end up in Hueco Mundo…” Ichigo said. Rukia nodded.
“This is no exception, no matter how old he is and whoever he is.” Rukia said. Then both came at me at the same time; Rukia beginning a chant of some sort for an attack for her zanpakutou, and Ichigo gathering spiritual pressure. I merely raised my open hand and began charging up a Cero.
“There are things I’ve learned in my short life that I haven’t been able to decide whether they’re beneficial or not. I was only in the Soul Society for a few years before the incident happened. Now, let’s see if this’ll knock your socks off.” I said, not meaning to make a pun. Before the two could say anything else, react, or do much of anything I had a full-fledged Cero charged. Just as the two released theirs at the same time, I released my Cero. I hadn’t made one that big yet, but I was sure it could ward the two attacks off. I completely surprised myself; it went through both of the attacks, and both Rukia and Ichigo had no time to dodge. Ichigo couldn’t get a Getsuga Tensho off in time I knew, and the girl, well… she was quite a bit slower than he was. I turned my back, my cape blowing in the wind, and just before I was about to open up a Garganta, a skinny red beam accompanied by the sound of fireworks going off cut up just in front of them and suppressed it for a while before making a huge explosion.
“Urahara-!” Ichigo said, waving a hand in front of his face, making his mask disappear. A man wearing a green-and-white striped hat, baggy green clothes and clogs came out from nowhere and stood in front of Ichigo and Rukia.
“You have some problems, Rukia? Ichigo?” the man asked, not looking behind him. Neither responded, but stared in awe at the man in front of him. Despite his appearance, I could tell that he would be a formidable opponent; if I didn’t return to Hueco Mundo soon, Keikan would return and demand to get on some of the action himself. “Don’t tell me that kid is giving you problems?” the man asked.
“He isn’t what you’d expect, Urahara. He could block my Getsuga Tensho and Rukia’s attack at the same time with a counterattack, even with both of us at full power.” Ichigo said.
“I see.” Urahara said, taking a good look at me. I had sheathed Teisei Gotokuame and hidden him again, and there was nothing menacing-looking about me then.
“I’m not looking for another fight.” I said, turning back around, facing the opposite direction.
“Oh? Well, don’t tell me I came all the way out here for nothing, kid! Show me what you got!” Urahara exclaimed, pointing his short, skinny zanpakutou toward me.
“I said I’m not looking for another fight.” I repeated.
“Well, we’ll just have to change that, then.” The man said, using a flash step to try and get a hit on me. Focusing most of my spiritual pressure into one area, I rose my bad arm to ward off the attack. I was surprised at the force behind it, and I had to bend my knees somewhat to keep from being thrust down toward the ground.
“Well, now that’s something! You used spiritual pressure to block, didn’t you?” Urahara asked, hopping back. How had he figured that out?
“How could he use spiritual pressure to block, Urahara?” Ichigo asked from behind.
“You focus a lot of your spiritual pressure into one area; usually the place that is the most vulnerable and it’s nearly impossible to get through. Of course, it depends on how much spiritual pressure you have total.” Urahara explained.
“Smart man; nothing that has fought against me before has figured that out.” I said.
“Now, judging by your appearance, you don’t seem to be a hollow. But like Ichigo there, you seem to possess some hollow powers, am I correct?” Urahara asked.
“Good call, Urahara.” I said, nodding.
“So, am I right to say you are a deserter of the Soul Society and instead went to Hueco Mundo?” he asked.
“No” I said.
“Am I at least right in *censored*uming you’ve been living in Hueco Mundo for a while?” Urahara asked. I nodded. “So, enlighten me. Are you a Shinigami, then?” he asked.
“No longer.” I said.
“No longer? Why is that?” Urahara asked. There was something about this man; he seemed so familiar in many ways. Almost as if I knew him from somewhere. But… where? I thought about it for a while… then it hit me.
“You have too many questions, Urahara Kisuke.” I said. He raised his head at the mention of his full name.
“How do you know my name, kid?” he asked.
“I remember you from back when you were in the Soul Society; before you and Tessai escaped here to the World of the Living after being wrongly accused of the Hollowfication incident.”I said.
“How do you know about that?” Urahara asked.
“I was in the Soul Society when it happened.” I said.
“So, how long have you been away from the Soul Society?” Urahara asked.
“Since a year after that happened,” I said.
“Why’d you leave?” Urahara asked, coming at me again. No matter what I said would change his mind, so I decided not to answer. I retaliated by wrapping more spiritual pressure around myself as he attacked. He really was as good as I remembered him… perhaps even better than I remembered. Though he was using a lot of energy, I was still casually blocking with one hand. “You don’t seem so talkative now, do you?” Urahara said, his power growing with each strike. I narrowed my eyes at this; of course I wasn’t. I’d only dig a deeper hole if I said anything else. Who knows what would happen if they found out who I was? If I lost this fight here, then I would likely be executed. Even if I wasn’t executed, then I’d get my powers stripped from me or something along the lines of that. This Urahara guy, though… he might prove to be a problem.
“Come on, Urahara. Surely you have more than just this.” I said, having not even brought out Teisei Gotokuame.
“No, I have more, I can *censored*ure you that much.” Urahara said, hopping back. He swung his zanpakutou at me, and the same red beam from before. Teisei, you ready to see some real action? I asked Teisei Gotokuame. As long as it isn’t killing, I’m up for it, Teisei Gotokuame replied with a bit of eagerness. Just before it hit me, I unsheathed Teisei Gotokuame and increasing my spiritual pressure; I swung with all my force at the beam, and broke it into two parts and it went on either side of me. However, after that, Urahara had been right behind the beam. I would have to go back to Hueco Mundo soon if I were to survive this; or well, at least escape unharmed. “So, you finally brought out your zanpakutou, eh? It’s about time. Let’s see if I can remember you from your style of fighting.” Urahara said. “Why don’t you two help out with this? It’ll make things much faster.” Urahara said. Both Ichigo and Rukia nodded; Ichigo used his mask again, and Rukia prepared for another one of her attacks.
“I’m not going to lose that easily.” I said. Before any of them could get their attacks off, I held Teisei Gotokuame in front of me. “Shatter, Teisei Gotokuame.” I said. A wave went out from it and hit all three of the opposing Shinigamis. All at once, each zanpakutou shattered into at least four pieces, and the mask that Ichigo had on completely shattered as well. I knew all three were completely surprised at what had happened. I sheathed Teisei Gotokuame and turned around. “I won’t be taken back today.” I said, snapping my finger as a Garganta opened. Before they could do anything, I had entered it and closed it behind me, watching their surprised expressions at how such a young-looking boy could be so powerful and defeat all three of them with a single move.

“Urahara, any idea who or what that was?” Ichigo asked. Urahara just stood there, his long overcoat blowing in the slight wind, speechless, with Benihime broken. He returned her to her regular form as a cane.
“Not until that last attack  ... after that… I just can’t believe it’s him.” Urahara said.
“Well, who was it?”Rukia asked.
“It’s hard to explain, really. His name is Ava Sen. He was one of those once in a blue moon rarity geniuses; he surp*censored*ed even Gin in how long it took him to get through the Academy. Though, you can’t really compare, because he didn’t even really attend it. His skills were so advanced he got *censored*igned to a Squad right away. Many feared him and what he might be capable of. He could fight on even footing with Captain Kyoraku when he wanted to. I only heard rumors of it, but… he supposedly attacked Captain Kurotsuchi, who in turn had to use his Bankai to effectively retaliate. He ended up killing Ava, and that was that. I never witnessed him using that move, but he’s the only one that I can think of that would be able to destroy all of our Zanpakutou.” Urahara said.
“So, is he dangerous, then?” Rukia asked.
“Back then, about a hundred years ago, he was pretty shy and hated to get acknowledged. The person he was closest to was his Captain. If Kyoraku didn’t have any doubts, then others shouldn’t have either. However, he was labeled as a threat to most, and so he was disregarded and rarely spoken of. He had the potential, but then the incident with Captain Kurotsuchi occurred. You see, shortly after I left the Soul Society, he became the Captain. Nobody knows what caused Ava to attack him, but from what he and his Lieutenant said, he broke into the laboratory and attacked.” Urahara said.
“So… if he killed Ava, and he’s still alive, that means…” Ichigo said. Urahara nodded.
“He must’ve been reborn in Hueco Mundo. Though, I don’t see why he hasn’t returned earlier than now. By what it seems like, he didn’t even want to be found. I have no idea of his intentions, but I don’t think that they are bad, if what I remember of him still stands.” Urahara said.
“But, the others that have been reborn in Hueco Mundo… they’ve all had to be killed or have been killed because of what their desires were.” Rukia pointed out.
“That may be true, but this might be an exception.” Urahara said.
“Well… my soul pager did report a large number of hollow that recently came, but by the time we got here, the one that he protected was the only one left.” Rukia said.
“Then, perhaps, his intentions when he first arrived in Hueco Mundo were to exterminate hollow, and he’s just stayed there ever since. That would explain the more recent decrease in the number of hollow and why your Soul Pager apparently hasn’t been working, Rukia.” Urahara said, turning around. “Well, I doubt he’ll be back anytime soon. But if he does appear again, try to get him to talk.” He said, heading back toward his shop.
“Well, that’ll be an easy task. What if he decides to retaliate again?” Ichigo said, saying the first part sarcastically.
“Remember you are the one who attacked, Ichigo. If we don’t attack, then he likely won’t.” Rukia said.
“I’ll try to keep that in mind for when we next meet him.” Ichigo said, rolling his eyes. Would there even be a next time? And if there was, would they be able to get him to talk? Ichigo only knew that the only way he’d get him to talk was by force; through a fight, submission. Sure, he was the one who attacked first, but if he hadn’t they’d have no clue as to who he was, now would they?

Argh

11:53pm Nov 12 2009

Normal User

Going Home

“I thought you were going to get m*censored*acred by those two!” Keikan complained as I entered the den, a temporary bandage around my arm.
“Don’t make me laugh. This third guy came in; a Captain that I knew from way back when. I was able to defeat all three of them.” I said, sitting down.
“Why do you mean by defeat?” Keikan asked.
“Not kill. I just merely shattered their zanpakutou temporarily until they call them out and fix them.” I said, stretching.
“You seem like you’re thinking hard about something.” Keikan said, lying down beside me. I sighed; I couldn’t hide much from Keikan. He had grown to be less like a hollow and more like a human or shinigami, and I had grown to have the personality of a hollow somewhat. But… now that I had encountered some other Shinigami, I could feel the longing to be in the Soul Society again, despite the tense atmosphere that had been present while I was there. I knew that they were just scared of me; they had a right to be. I would know how to deal with it, and get them to learn to accept me if I went back. But… the reason I came to Hueco Mundo… I was killed, and I knew it was my p*censored*ion to exterminate hollow that kept me alive.
“I want to go back to the Soul Society.” I finally said.
“But… have you forgotten what happened to you there? Don’t you know what might happen if you go back there?” Keikan asked, sounding agitated.
“I know. But I can’t live here in Hueco Mundo forever, Keikan.” I said.
“Well, if that’s what you wish, then I guess I won’t stop you. If all works out, will you come and visit every now and then?” Keikan asked. I smiled at the question.
“Why even ask that? I’ll visit in every spare moment I can. After all, you never had defeated me in a session.” I said. “But, you won’t have to worry about it for a while. I’ll spend a while here before I even go to the World of the Living.” I said.
“Well, I have a few things that need to get done. I’m not sure I’ll be back before you depart, so, if I don’t return in time, I will see you whenever.” Keikan said.
“I’ll see you soon, Keikan.” I said, watching him head out. What did he have to get done? It’s not like he was busy… I sat still for a moment, letting the silence get the better of me. I unwrapped the bandage from my arm, not wincing at the stinging. Putting my left hand over it, I began healing it. Within a minute, you couldn’t even tell that I had so much as had a scratch. I flexed my arm, and was glad to know that my healing powers were a little better than they used to be. Of course, it wasn’t anything close to what the Fourth Squad’s abilities were, but it was helpful if nobody else was around. I couldn’t heal major wounds very well, but ones that weren’t life-threatening I could do pretty well with. I stood up and unsheathed Teisei Gotokuame, admiring the blade for a while. I feel your eagerness to return, Ava, Teisei Gotokuame commented. I smiled and sheathed him, then lay down on the cold stone, what I had known as my bed for the apparent past one hundred years. This would be the last time I would sleep on this cold stone bed; through the years it had been worn down and actually become soft for being a stone, but it was nothing compared to real beds like in the Soul Society and the World of the Living.

I wasn’t sure how long it had been; I had waited for as long as I could for Keikan, but I felt the urge to just go now. What worried me most was that I couldn’t feel Keikan’s spiritual pressure at all. It was like as if he had completely vanished… my only hope was that he hadn’t gone to the World of the Living and gotten killed. Though, I knew that he wasn’t dead; it was that sixth sense, just how I knew things.
“I will return soon, Keikan.” I said out loud, opening a Garganta. I took one last look over the vast desert of Hueco Mundo before closing it behind me and walking through the black abyss far enough away to open another one and enter the World of the Living. “I’m going home. Acceptance is a must.” I said, snapping my fingers as portal to the World of the Living opened. I stepped through and closed the portal behind me, not surprised that it was nighttime in the World of the Living. I hadn’t realized it, but I had felt more active and energetic here earlier when the sun was out and I was fighting. I gazed out over the town, knowing that this would likely become my second home eventually. I only hoped that the Soul Society could learn acceptance after what happened. Could I make things right and make them understand what happened, or would they take the word of a Captain over mine? I had been poisoned… I knew that I had been, but would they even remember me? Perhaps it would be better to just take it slowly and re-take the Shinigami Academy, act as if I didn’t know a whole lot. But I already had Teisei Gotokuame. If once I got a Zanpakutou, I could just switch the other one out for my original one. I should have planned ahead, but there was no turning back now. However, I did need a way to get into the Soul Society; perhaps Urahara would know a way. His spiritual pressure shouldn’t be too hard to find. I closed my eyes and remembered from the most recent encounter; there was more than just one Shinigami here still; Rukia and Ichigo were still here, but their traces were much different than Urahara’s. His was nearly all the way suppressed and if I hadn’t been searching for it I wouldn’t completely missed it. I followed it to something that looked like a small shop. Upon closer inspection, it was a candy shop. Strange… I had p*censored*ed by this place a few times before in the past, but never thought a thing about it. How long had Urahara been at this place? I stepped softly, not making a sound as I approached the shop entrance. I pondered on whether to knock in good courtesy, or to just waltz right in. I decided to not do the latter of the two but rather use some manners. Before I could do a thing, the doors opened and the next thing I was on the ground, my head throbbing unbearably.
“Listen up, you! The owner of this shop told us everything about what you did! You’ll have to get through us if you want to get at him!” a young red-headed boy said. I looked to see that he was the one that had hit me; let your guard down, and this is what happens. When I tried getting up, he hit me with another hard hit from his over-sized bat; on the head, again. It was all I could do to stay conscious; well, obviously I had left a horrible impression yesterday, or this kid wouldn’t be trying to keep me out with a mere over-sized bat.
“Jinta, you shouldn’t hit him so hard like that. Kisuke said that he wanted to question him, not kill him.” A shy voice said behind the boy.
“Shut up, Ururu! He also said to keep him from coming in at any cost, and that’s exactly what I’m doing! Besides, if he’s half as tough as Urahara sad he was, then this shouldn’t be a problem for him.” The boy said smugly. I sat up this time, and got to my feet. “Why don’t you learn to just stay down?” the boy asked, swinging his bat with good force at me again. I held out a hand as it was about to hit me and stopped it in its tracks, having a firm grip on it. “Hey, let go you crazy rebel!” the boy yelled, trying to pry it from me with both hands.
“Only if you don’t hit me with it again,” I said, glaring at the kid. That made him let go, and he stepped back. I tossed it at him lightly, and he looked from it to me.
“Excuse me, but, why are you even here? Kisuke said you might come here, but he didn’t say why. You aren’t going to hurt him, are you?” the young girl asked.
“I’m not going to hurt him. I didn’t have any intentions of hurting anyone in the first place. I just need to ask him something… a favor, if you will.” I said. I sensed the approach of someone else inside, moving closer to the door.
“Well, now. I can’t say that I’m surprised to see you here, Ava.” He had his cane with him, and he looked ready to use it at a split second’s notice.
“You never fail to know things, Urahara. But lighten up a little, will ya. I’m not here for a battle.” I said, taking Teisei Gotokuame from my waist. Urahara and the two kids tensed up and Urahara got a tighter grip on his, but I just merely let Teisei Gotokuame clatter to the ground.
“Well, come inside, then. Let’s sit down and have a talk. There are a lot of things I’d like to know.” Urahara said, completely relaxing his grip on his cane. I followed him in, leaving Teisei Gotokuame behind. If anything were to happen, I wouldn’t need him to defend myself anyways. It would just be a h*censored*le; they’d be more on the edge if I brought him in with me.
“Hey, aren’t you going to take your zanpakutou in with you?” the boy asked.
“No. It isn’t necessary for me to bring him in with me. It would only provoke Urahara and make it harder to talk to him if I have one more weapon with me.” I said, walking in without another word. Those are brave words, Ava. Though I do feel a little hurt, I heard Teisei Gotokuame say. I didn’t mean it in a hurtful way, Teisei. You know that I would be helpless without you in the long run, I said. I could feel some smugness emanating from within; Teisei feeling good that he was actually appreciated. I followed Urahara to a side room with a sliding door; in it were two cushions on either side of a round sitting table.
“Please, have a seat, Ava.” Urahara said, sliding the door shut behind him. I went to the farthest side of the table and sat down, first removing the cushion. I had gotten accustomed to sitting on hard surfaces; even this floor was better than what I usually sat on. “You were accused of something you didn’t do, am I right?” Urahara asked right off. I knew that the two kids were listening outside the door; that didn’t bother me much, but there was a third presence there as well; one that I wasn’t too sure about.
“Perhaps,” was all I replied with a shrug.
“You don’t know if you were accused of something you didn’t do? That’s not right. So, you’re saying that you didn’t know that you were labeled as a rebel? They say you attacked Captain Kurotsuchi back in the day and he had to kill you in order to save himself.” Urahara said.
“Oh? Well, I can’t say I’m surprised that was the outcome of his little ordeal.” I said.
“What do you mean?” Urahara asked, giving me a questioning stare.
“He said he needed help with an experiment, so I said I’d help. I didn’t know that it would’ve been poison he was using as an experiment.” I explained. “Well, he had said it was something else, but the poison was added.” I said.
“He used you as a test subject?” Urahara asked, stunned. “That doesn’t surprise me, but… it doesn’t seem like that was the only reason he used you, if that’s the case.” Urahara said.
“No, it’s not. Ever since I remembered why I was in Hueco Mundo, I’ve had plenty of time to think about why he did what he did, and why others were fearful of me.” I said.
“Well, then, let’s hear it.” Urahara said, folding his arms.
“It’s not often that a young child genius or prodigy, whichever you prefer to call us, show up. And when we do, people either hate or accept; there’s no in between. For me, it was the latter of the two, hate. I’m not sure why; perhaps it was because of my actions and personality. Maybe I kept to myself too much. Perhaps it was my nature that set most people on edge. Maybe it was the fact that I only talked to certain people. Or, even the way that I thought others thought of me and acting as though they hated me, then they really did come to hate me. Whatever the reason, they didn’t trust me and Captain Kurotsuchi just solved their problems for them.” I said.
“Those are some good explanations, I must say. Especially for someone who hasn’t been around others for a hundred years,” Urahara stated. “however, what is the reason for coming back now and seeing me?” he asked. I sighed at this; how was I supposed to answer? It would be hard putting it in words.
“I want to return to the Soul Society and see if it will give me another chance.” I said.
“I expected as much. Well, if you’re asking for transport, I can sure get you there, but I won’t willingly send you to your death sentence. If you just go there, you’ll be killed. Your spiritual pressure is too much like a hollow’s to be p*censored*ed by as just a Shinigami’s.” Urahara said.
“For one, I don’t care how much I may seem like a hollow. Being in Hueco Mundo for a hundred years does that to you, especially if you lived with one for all that time. Secondly, I could fend for myself if need be, so you wouldn’t have to worry about sending me to my death. Though I’m still young, I’m much better than I was a hundred years ago.”I said.
“Things have changed since then, Ava. If you weren’t aware of it, we had a traitor amongst us that led to a major fight to save both the Soul Society and the World of the Living. That traitor went to Hueco Mundo to gain even more power than he already had; needless to say, we still haven’t recovered from that ordeal yet. We lost many of our good members of the Soul Society. You going back would only cause chaos and superstition amongst the Seireitei. The Soul Society is more hostile than ever and will likely never again let its guard down. Anyone and everyone is being watched by someone, and the Shinigamis there tend to notice things they wouldn’t have noticed before. Not to mention, you don’t look the greatest, no offense.” Urahara said. I could tell what he meant; I didn’t have the friendliest appearance. My eyes had changed from their amber color they used to be to the crimson color they were now. The attire I was wearing would be nothing like what a normal Shinigami would wear, and I looked half-starved.
“I don’t care. I’ve made up my mind. If you won’t help me, then I’ll just find another way to get to the Soul Society.” I said.
“You are a stubborn one. You’ve changed in a lot of ways from the short time I’d heard of you. Well, alright. I’ll help you out, Ava. But first, let’s get you some real food. What have you been eating all these years?” Urahara asked, standing up. That was a good question… what had I been eating?
“I’m not sure exactly what it was, to be honest. It was like, this small fruit bush that replenished itself with fully-grown new fruit after a day or so. It didn’t have a lot of flavor to it, but it was enough to get by on.” I said.
“Really? That’s fascinating. Never heard of food growing in Hueco Mundo… well, goes to show how much the Shinigamis really know about the place. Tessai, would you bring in some food for our guest?” Urahara called. Another slide door opened behind me; one I hadn’t been aware of, and a rather large-looking man was sitting there on his knees.
“Already prepared, boss.” He said. The two kids from earlier brought in a few plates of food that brought with them sweet aromas; it had been such a long time since I’d smelled such good food. When it was sat down in front of me, I wasn’t sure what to do; I hadn’t eaten off of a plate in a long time, and I had rarely even used chopsticks as a kid. Well, food was food… I had always been a messy eater. I began to eat the food slowly with my hands, ignoring the chopsticks that were beside the food.
“Don’t tell me we have another moocher.” The red-head said, crossing his arms.
“Jinta, I’d watch your mouth if I were you.” Urahara said. I could tell he was still a little wary of me, but I knew I had made some progress. Honestly, I didn’t care what they said about me. This food was extremely good. I would only eat one serving of it, though; eating a lot after only living off of a few fruits a day wouldn’t fare too well. I was aware that I was being watched intently by all four of the people in there. The tall guy that referred to Urahara as ‘Boss’ seemed quite familiar, but I couldn’t quite place him. I would find out who he was sooner or later, or it’d come to me. As soon as I was finished, I glanced around at the expectant faces.
“Would you like some more?” the red-head said.
“No, I’m fine. But thanks for the offer.” I said, standing up. Urahara followed suit.
“It will take me a while to get the gate ready, Ava. I hope you don’t mind the wait.” Urahara said.
“How long?” I instinctively asked.
“A few hours, at least It-“but I cut him off before he could finish.
“That’s fine. I’ll be back in five hours.” I said, heading out.
“What are you planning on doing?” Urahara asked curiously.
“I’m going to wander around town. It’s changed so much over the years, yet I know so little about it. I think it’s time I get to know it a little more.” I said. That seemed to somewhat satisfy Urahara, and he didn’t protest as I left. As soon as I was out, I completely masked my spiritual pressure so that I wouldn’t attract any unwanted attention. Unless, of course, whoever would check out something with my spiritual pressure had detected me when I first arrived. Well, I’d deal with them if it came down to it. I already knew that the two Shinigamis that were here; Rukia and Ichigo, weren’t really a match for me, even combined. Though, I did have to wonder about Ichigo’s mask… he was part Hollow, that much was for sure, but how had he, a mere Substitute Shinigami if my sources were correct, obtained such incredible power? And on top of that, even without his mask… he was extremely strong.

It was that same spiritual pressure he’d felt earlier that day. It was from the kid… or, well, in appearance, that kid. In reality, he was even older than Rukia. But, still… he wasn’t even a part of the Soul Society, and he was able to defeat Rukia, himself, and Urahara with one single attack; it had completely caught him off guard. It had shattered all of their Zanpakutou, and even Ichigo’s mask. If he went up against him now and fought, he’d have to concentrate more so that his mask and Zangetsu wouldn’t shatter again. Rukia had gone back to the Soul Society to do her monthly report, so he was left by himself for a day or two. Well, the upside was that Rukia wouldn’t be there to interfere with his intentions, which meant he could go all-out on the kid if it was needed. As he hopped out of his window and headed toward the source, it was abruptly cut off; almost as if it had disappeared. “So, you think you can hide? Thing again, kid. There is more than one way to find someone than by simply just sensing their spiritual pressure. Ichigo smiled and closed his eyes, seeking out the slightest trace of unnatural spiritual pressure. It took him a few minutes, but he eventually got a hold of it. “You better watch out, kid. Because I don’t go easy on anybody anymore,” Ichigo said, using his Bankai before heading off in the said direction with unimaginable speed.

“It will feel good, going back home,” I said, sitting down on the air fifty feet above a large pond. Teisei Gotokuame, both the Zanpakutou and the materialized form, sat beside me. The Zanpakutou in the Shikai, playing some soothing music, and Teisei Gotokuame himself sitting cross-legged, staring up at the moon.
“It’s really not that much different of a view than that in Hueco Mundo.” Teisei commented.
“No, not really, but it feels much different. Almost a little more… welcoming,” I said, glancing over at Teisei. He looked unnaturally young, and had long, black hair. He wore a simple black trench coat, with a spiked belt. Teisei was barefoot, and he wore hand warmers. When I first saw him I was surprised at his appearance; he looked somewhat intimidating, but his eyes gave it away that he was actually really gentle and thoughtful. I sighed as I felt a surge of spiritual pressure from the other side of town; a Bankai being released, no doubt. And it was from that guy Ichigo. The music continued playing, though it was now slowing down as Ichigo got closer.
“Some more company?” Teisei asked, swiveling his head and body so that he could see behind the two of us.
“Unfortunately… and this time, I think he’s alone, which may prove a problem. Well, we’ll talk later, Teisei.” I said. He nodded, and faded, along with the music. The Zanpakutou returned to its normal form, and I sheathed it, waiting for Ichigo to arrive. For what happened earlier, I’d let him get a free shot at me and take whatever damage I received if he attacked first. As I had expected, I felt the presence of him, and a second later the release of his Getsuga Tensho; it wasn’t at full power, as he wasn’t using his mask, so it wouldn’t take as much of a toll on me as I thought it might. It hit me square in the back, and sent me flying downward into the pond, making a huge splash as I and the attack went into it at the same time. Ah… now that felt good. It had been a while since I had felt pain. The wound that Rukia had given me was nothing; this was more like it. Before I could be rammed into the bottom of the pond, I rolled out of the way in slow motion. A large explosion came as soon as it hit the floor, and I swam slowly back to the surface. I emerged and took my time going back to the shore, letting myself begin to drip dry.
“What’s the matter? Why didn’t you even try to retaliate?” Ichigo asked me.
“Didn’t feel like it.” Was all I said, not looking up at him.
“Well then, you feel like retaliating to this?” Ichigo asked, as he flew down toward me. I sighed; he wasn’t really the negotiable type, was he? He didn’t have a lot of common sense, either. At last second I side-stepped to avoid his Zanpakutou slashing me.
“Nope, not really,” I said. He kept coming at me, and I kept side-stepping his attacks, not even bothering to do anything else.
“Come on, kid, why aren’t you fighting back?!” Ichigo exclaimed, adding a little extra; attack, flash step and attack from behind, and a pattern that continued much like that.
“Why are you attacking?” I asked him simply, raising a hand and stopping his blade, having a tight grip on it.
“I want some answers out of you, that’s why!” he exclaimed. Why didn’t he just ask, then? With a flash, black spiritual pressure came to his face, and the mask appeared, and though he had gained even more power, he still wasn’t any match for me. Well, I guess I’d have to beat him into submission in order for him to ask me questions, since he wouldn’t do it any other way. “Getsuga Tensho,” he said calmly, but with force. The same black half-crescent of spiritual energy came out of his zanpakutou. Why didn’t he just ask instead of trying to force answers out of me? Well, Teisei and I would get some action finally. I let this attack do its toll on me, though I did shield myself partially by holding both arms in front of me, making an ‘x’. If I wouldn’t have had footing, it would’ve taken a while to stop it, but as was, it took a few seconds before I got a firm hold and destroyed the attack. Ichigo wasn’t planning on going easy on me though, I knew. As soon as I had obliterated that attack, he sent another one at me, this time from behind. This time I used a sonido to easily avoid it and get a good distance away from him.
“Well, since you don’t seem the negotiable type, I suppose I’ll have to put up a fight.” I said.
“You don’t seem like one to talk, so I’ll have to beat a few things into you.” Ichigo said, the first time I noticed that his voice had changed slightly with that mask. Hearing it gave me the chills, and I wanted to get this over as soon as possible. I took out Teisei Gotokuame, and decided to end it quickly. However, for some reason, Ichigo seemed to know exactly what I was going to do and quickly came at me. Well, if he wanted to drag it out, then so be it. I had no intention of hurting Ichigo, only wearing him down until he couldn’t fight anymore. He kept attacking in a pattern; almost as if he expected to get a good shot in on me. I was barely moving my body, only to take a step here so I could dodge, and occasionally raise Teisei Gotokuame to block one that would have otherwise been hard to block otherwise. I knew that he knew I was more on the defensive than offensive, but either he didn’t care or he just didn’t say anything. An odd thing was happening though, I noticed. The longer he stayed in his hollow form, the stronger he became, as well as faster. As I was thinking about that, he caught me completely off-guard and I was too slow to retaliate. He brought his zanpakutou down behind me, used a flash step at last second and got me across my chest; something I hadn’t anticipated. It was as if time went three times as slow for a few seconds; I could feel the cold metal of his blade cutting itself deep into my skin, running down farther and farther until he pulled back; Ichigo had drawn the first blood of the battle. I stood there, not really caring about it; I could still fight and overpower him easily, if only I didn’t lose my guard again. To intimidate him a little, I just smiled, holding out Teisei Gotokuame.
“Is that your best shot?” I asked.
“Plenty more where that came from,” Ichigo replied. “Now how about you try to retaliate a little more instead of just defending?” he asked, coming at me again. Not a chance, Ichigo. Not a chance, I thought, as the sound of our blades clashing pierced the night air.

“Aren’t you going to do something about this, boss?” Tessai asked, watching the battle between Ava and Ichigo from a distance. Urahara just sat in the air, a black cloak around him, completely sealing off is spiritual pressure.
“No. I want to see how this plays out. If Ava really does want to go back to the Soul Society, then he won’t retaliate. Or, if he does, it won’t be intentionally and not severe. Ava won’t hurt Ichigo too badly; only wear him down if it comes to that.” Urahara said.
“And what if he tries to kill Ichigo?” Tessai asked.
“Then we have to kill him. Ichigo isn’t one that learns very quickly, as you’ve noticed. He’s quite thick-headed and isn’t very reasonable, which is probably why they’re fighting now. If I’m right, Ava knows that and is just going to let Ichigo learn the hard way.” Urahara said, folding his arms.
“Smart kid,” Tessai said.
“Too bad I didn’t get the time to know him more while we were both still there.” Urahara said.
“Yes, that would’ve made things much easier here. Why did you say that it would take as long as you said? You could have it ready in a few minutes or less.” Tessai commented.
“Right you are about that, Ichigo needs to know that Ava isn’t a threat, though. I knew that he’d come after Ava when he first appeared. Try as he might, it’ll be hard to completely mask his spiritual pressure. The only time I wasn’t sure where he was, was when he left the shop.” Urahara said.
“But, Boss, don’t you think he actually tried to hide it then to avoid detection when he left? And when he first came, do you think he really thought about masking it completely?” Tessai asked.
“I wondered about that myself, actually. Well, it’ll definitely be hard to not attract attention now. I hope Ava doesn’t drag this on for too long, though. He’ll likely not be able to go to the Soul Society if he gets too many injuries like the one he just received from Ichigo.” Urahara said.
“He doesn’t seem affected by it, though. He didn’t even flinch when it hit him. In fact, he seems pleased… almost like Kenpachi.” Tessai observed.
“Just add the need for fighting, eye patch, jagged zanpakutou, uncaring personality and no sense of direction and you’d get Kenpachi.” Urahara said with a slight smile, drawing chuckles from the both of them. “Though, I do think Ava will end the battle soon enough. It’s not like he’ll fight to the very end; he has his limits, as does everyone.” He added. Tessai nodded, and quieted down, watching the battle as Ichigo tried to get another hit on Ava.

“Why don’t you fight back?” Ichigo demanded, obviously getting agitated.
“I have my reasons, that’s all; I’m not here for fighting, Ichigo.” I said, barely moving as I had before with his seemingly pathetic attempts at trying to get another cut on me.
“Well then, what are you here for?” Ichigo asked his speed and power still increasing. If he kept this up, I would have to retaliate.
“To get Urahara to get me back to the Soul Society,” I said simply.
“Why would you need his help getting there? And why would you want to go there?” Ichigo asked, pausing momentarily. I took the chance to raise Teisei Gotokuame, changing his form to his Shikai.
“Shatter,” I said, bringing him down with force to my side. As it had earlier, the sound wave went in every direction for as far as I wanted it to go; Ichigo didn’t even have time to use a flash step to try and avoid it. He tried raising his zanpakutou against me to get a final slash, but it shattered before it touched, as did his mask. Teisei Gotokuame returned to normal, and I sheathed him. “I want to become a Shinigami again.” Was all I said. Ichigo just stared at me in bewilderment; whether from my answer, the fact that I shattered his mask and zanpakutou again or both I was unsure of.
“Why would you want to become a Shinigami… again?” Ichigo asked, knowing that it wouldn’t be much use to keep fighting now.
“I want to show them that I can be trusted, and make sure that nothing happens like it did a hundred years ago.” I said.
“What happened back then?” Ichigo asked.
“It would’ve saved you and me both a lot of trouble if you would’ve just asked in the first place instead of attacking.” I said.
“Well, why didn’t you say something earlier? I would’ve listened.” Ichigo said.
“Somehow, I doubt that…” I mumbled to myself.
“What was that?” Ichigo asked, sounding a bit irritated.
“Nothing, nothing… You wanted to know what happened to me a hundred years ago, right? Well, I’ll only explain it once, and no interrupting.” I said. I sat down on the gr*censored* and crossed my legs; a cool breeze ruffled my hair and cape, and felt good on my skin. Up until now the wound Ichigo had inflicted on me hadn’t bothered me; now, it was starting to sting. I’d take care of that as soon as I was finished telling Ichigo what he wanted to know. “I was born in the Soul Society. I was independent, didn’t live with anyone and relied solely on myself to survive. I avoided other kids in the Rukon District and instead of just stealing to make a living, I helped out lost souls searching for family they had back here, in the World of the Living. It didn’t happen very often, but when I did help I always kept my promise of helping them get reunited. A particular day when I helped a young boy find his father, I finally decided to confront the person I knew had been following me for a couple weeks at least. I was twelve at the time,” I said, pausing to take a breath. “He seemed surprised that I knew he was there, and eventually he said I should go to the Shinigami Academy. I knew what Shinigamis were, but I had no intention at the time of becoming one. Until I got to thinking that I could destroy hollow and protect the helpless souls here. That was my motivation, and I decided to go. I had never wielded a blade before or even fought with a stick for that matter. I knew how to control my spiritual pressure for the most part, and I could use Kido without reciting the incantations for it. When I tried a hand at using the wooden sticks to fight with, I was superior to everyone in the academy at the time; the first time I hit someone else’s, both broke into two. Along with that, I guess they said I had a good knowledge of how the Seireitei ran. The first time that I used Kido in front of everybody, I was reluctant to do so. In turn, I had to do it in front of everybody, and that got a lot of attention. The instructor took me to see one of the Captain’s. To keep myself and the instructor from getting into trouble, I had to demonstrate my skills to him. Less than a week later, it was determined that I didn’t even need to attend the Shinigami Academy, and they placed me in a Squad. I could take on any of the members in my Squad, and could even fight on even footing near the last part of my time in the Soul Society with my Captain.” I said, taking a slightly longer break this time. “One of our spars got more serious, and we both ended up injuring each other greatly, him more so me because I wasn’t getting as serious as he was. I was in the Fourth Squad’s barracks for a few days, and during that time Captain Kurotsuchi approached me and said he needed someone to help him with an experiment. I agreed to help despite two of my friends’ as well as my Captain’s judgment as well as my conscience. It ended up being a poison, actually, and it killed me. I was reborn in Hueco Mundo, and that’s where the interesting part ends.” I said.
“You say you were able to fight on even footing with your Captain… who was your Captain?” Ichigo asked.
“Captain Shunsui Kyoraku.” I said. He looked shocked that I was able to fight on even footing with Captain Kyoraku.
“Well, that would explain why you are ale to fight so effortlessly. Sorry I didn’t use common sense. Every other person I’ve met or heard of from Hueco Mundo never liked to reason and had to be defeated in battle before they’d even talk a little. Well, why don’t we get that wound of yours healed up? I’ll get one of my friends to-“but he stopped there as I held up a hand and waved it away.
“This? This is nothing, trust me. I can deal with it myself, but thanks for the offer.” I said.
“Something that serious you can heal yourself…?” Ichigo asked. Then he remembered; Rukia had gotten a good unexpected shot at him when they first met; now there wasn’t anything there to show that he had even received a deep blow.
“For the most part, yes. I’m not the best at it, but healing isn’t just for the fourth squad.” I said.
“I didn’t mean to offend you or anything-“Ichigo said, but I stopped him.
“Don’t worry about it. I had to learn how to do it myself because in Hueco Mundo, when you’re killing hollow all the time, you get a little popular and the Hollow decide to attack you. On the rare occasion, when I first ended up there, I got a few injuries that needed to be taken care of. I had little experience with healing. Perhaps to heal a shallow flesh wound, but nothing more. I practiced over the years and I got slightly better, though I’m still not all that great at it.” I said. After I had finished, I raised my left hand over my mid-section, and a yellow light appeared over it. I could tell that Ichigo was fascinated by me being able to heal myself, but I did it in silence. This one took a bit longer since it was so deep, but I could feel it working.
“So, you’re going back to the soul society to become a Shinigami again… Do you think they will accept you?” Ichigo asked. I finished the healing before answering, and then turned my back, gazing back out over the large pond.
“Some of them might, but a majority won’t. I’ll leave the decision up to Head Captain Yamamoto or the Central Forty Six whether or not I stay. There are a few people I want to see, though.” I said. I hadn’t mentioned anything to anyone about my ability to transform into a dog; the only other being, besides a few hollows I’d killed, that knew I could do that was Keikan.
“What if they think you are a threat and attack you, or even decide to put you on trial and want to strip you of your shinigami powers?” Ichigo asked.
“I can always get my shinigami powers back. And I have a few aspects that they don’t know about… they are more hollow than shinigami, if you know what I mean.” I said.
“You mean… produce a Cero and open a Garganta?” Ichigo asked. I nodded. At that time, a large Garganta opened up behind Ichigo, and an odd figure stepped out; it resembled either a snake or lizard, I wasn’t sure; but it was pretty big. When I got a closer look, the mask gave it away; it was Keikan. But… he had changed a lot in appearance. Is that what he had meant by he had to do something? Ichigo immediately spun around and got a horrified look on his face.
“What did you do, go on a hollow rampage, Keikan?” I asked, crossing my arms and smirking.
“You two know each other?” Ichigo asked, looking from me to Keikan a couple times.
“I suppose you could say that. I went to the Menos Forest.” Keikan said.
“Well, that’s a good thing for you, Keikan. You won’t have me around to save your sorry little butt anymore.” I said.
“You didn’t.” Keikan said in disbelief.
“Oh, I did. But don’t worry; you should last a few days without me.” I said.
“Ha! You’re a funny one, Ava. You wouldn’t believe how much stronger I’ve become.” Keikan said.
“Hey, Ichigo, you mind giving us some room?” I asked, taking a fighter’s stance.
“What?” Ichigo said, not sure he had heard clearly. Without warning, Keikan and I rushed at each other, and Ichigo barely got out of the way in time. I noticed something about Keikan’s tail; it was much sharper-looking and longer. His body seemed more buff, and as he tried ramming me with his head and slashing me with his claws and tail, I realized he was much faster and had better reflexes. Still, though, it wasn’t enough for me to have to bring out Teisei Gotokuame.
“You have gotten much better. Unfortunately, your opponent is me. It will take more than this for me to even bring out Teisei Gotokuame.” I said. Keikan seemed to smile at this, and hopped back a few paces, and opened his mouth, beginning to produce a Cero. Now, the first time I saw his Cero, it was smaller than the circumference of my smallest finger. Now, just producing the first part it was as large as my head. I hopped back as well, and got ready to brace myself.
“You’re crazy!” I heard Ichigo exclaim. Perhaps I was… but I wasn’t going to just dodge it; that would either hurt or satisfy Keikan. I didn’t want to take a chance at shattering his spirit at last second, so I got a good foot hold. A few seconds later, he released it, and it was enormous. Perhaps about the size of mine, even. I wouldn’t have time to produce a Cero, so I’d have to find another way to deflect it. I would have to do it the old fashioned way; I raised one hand in front of me and planted my two feet firmly on the ground as the Cero made its way toward me. Though it was big, it lacked major power, I realized; appearances weren’t always as they seemed. I was thankful for that; or, perhaps, I’d just had much worse that this wasn’t much for me. However, because of its size I wouldn’t be able to deflect it this late with my hand; there’d be a large explosion. I decided to use Raikoho for the best effect. Pushing the Cero back momentarily, I jumped back so I could get a Raikoho big enough to deflect it. The Cero came at me again, but this time I was ready. I let lose a large Raikoho shot and used a Flash Step to get out of the way of the explosion. Knowing that Keikan would try getting me as he usually did, I took out Teisei Gotokuame and turned around, holding it at his throat just as he appeared, swinging his tail, which I stopped with my other hand.
“Seems that even my best efforts like this aren’t enough to take you on.” Keikan said.
“Well, you had me worried there for a bit, to be honest, Keikan. However, whether it’s just because I’ve had much worse in my day than you or just from lack of power at this point in time, your Cero was pretty easy to deflect. And your movements are too easy to predict. Try some different fighting styles between now and the next time we meet. If you do need anything though, just holler.” I said, referring to the way we communicated at long distances. Keikan nodded.
“Until we meet again, Ava. Thanks for showing me the extent of my powers at this stage.” Keikan said. He turned around, and a Garganta opened up in front of him. He p*censored*ed through without saying another word, and it closed behind him as soon as his entire body was through.
“Who, or what, was that?” Ichigo asked, obviously surprised.
“An old friend. Lived in Hueco Mundo with him since the day I arrived there.” I said.
“An old… friend? Seemed like you two were going to go at it until the death…” Ichigo muttered.
“No. It’s just the way we fight… or rather, fought now. We would go at it until one of use was ready to get a critical blow in, then we’d stop for that session. He never was able to defeat me.” I said with a slight smile. “Hey, Urahara, why don’t you quit trying to hide and explain what the holdup is?” I called over my shoulder. His Spiritual Pressure was completely masked, as was the guy with him, but I knew they had started following me shortly after I left and had been watching me. I could tell that he was surprised that I knew he was there at this distance, and I knew that hadn’t known that he had been there. A few seconds later I felt Urahara’s presence behind me along with that Tessai guy.
“Truly amazing. I was under the impression that nobody could sense my spiritual pressure with this on.” Urahara said.
“I didn’t sense your spiritual pressure. Whatever you’re wearing perfectly masks it.” I said, turning around.
“Then how’d you know I was there?” Urahara asked, seemingly baffled.
“Instinct. I can tell when people are watching or following me. Kind of like a sixth sense. I’ve had it since before I left the Soul Society.” I said.
“You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?” Urahara said with a humorous tone. “Anything else you want to tell us about before I get you back to the Soul Society?” he asked.
“Not really, no. Nothing I’d want to talk about, anyways.” I said.
“Well, then, let’s get on our way, shall we? It’s only been an hour since I told you, but I’m sure you won’t mind the moved-up time for returning.” Urahara said.
“No, not at all. Thank you, Urahara.” I said.

That boy had extraordinary talents. For one, he was definitely Captain-level material, and if the chance ever arose or the need came along, he could defeat at least a few of the current Captain’s. Another was that he could sense presences, even with Reiatsu completely masked, making it more of a simply just being there rather than sensing spiritual pressure. That and he rarely used his Zanpakutou, which was odd; any Shinigami would on a regular basis use his or her Zanpakutou, but Ava had developed a technique that allowed him to not use his Zanpakutou unless his opponent proved to be strong enough. Sure, it was pretty easy to do if you could concentrate enough to do it. But fighting the way he did, so effortlessly… it would take decades to perfect it like he had. Switching it from one place to another and continuous switching, and on top of that, it was great enough to block any sword attack. His swordsman skills were way above average; his kido was probably up there as well. After all, he had had a hundred years to practice what he knew and learn new kido. And from what he could tell, he had great healing powers for one who was not supposed to be skilled in that area. What bothered him most though was the fact that Ava had something else he wasn’t showing them; he had hinted around at it by saying ‘Nothing I’d want to talk about’. Was it something that would for sure keep him out of the Soul Society, or was it something more personal? There’d be a time when they’d find out eventually. Secrets can’t be kept hidden forever. He had led them into the basement and done the usual ‘Who’d have thought there was a huge area under a little old candy shop?’ routine, which didn’t fool Ava and Ichigo seemed a bit irritated at it.
“Well, you should empty out somewhere in the Western Rukon District, Ava. You’ll be on your own from there, deciding what you do and how to get back into the Seireitei.” Urahara said.
“Wait a minute, Kisuke. I’ll go with him.” Ichigo said. Urahara was surprised at Ichigo’s comment; a few minutes ago he was ready to beat Ava to near death just to get answers.
“Thanks, Ichigo, but I don’t want you getting involved with something that’ll likely get me killed if I’m not careful.” Ava said. Urahara looked from one to the other, and he knew that Ichigo had made up his mind; there’d be no arguing.
“Well, hate to break it to you, Ava, but I get involved in all kinds of things with the Soul Society. Besides, I’m looking for something that’ll get me away from here for a while. It’s not every day that I get to go to the Soul Society with a purpose.” Ichigo said.
“No, only about every other week it seems.” Urahara said with his fan over his mouth.
“Oh, would you shut up?” Ichigo said, stamping his foot like a little child.
“Well, I see that it would be pointless trying to talk you out of it. However, if a fight comes up, I don’t want you getting into it. You’ll only get in the way and end up getting yourself hurt.” Ava said, turning toward the entrance to the Soul Society.
“Great. Now you’re starting to sound like Kenpachi…” Ichigo said. Ava chuckled at that, and headed in, Ichigo after him. A few seconds p*censored*ed, and the gates closed.
“You think he’ll be able to rejoin the Thirteen Court Guard Squads?” Tessai asked, towering behind Urahara.
“Can’t say for sure. If all else fails, he’ll just fight his way out of there, return here and either ask to stay or return to Hueco Mundo for a while. Those are the two likeliest of options. It’s hard to predict what someone you’d forgotten about for a hundred years.” Urahara said. “Well, let’s get going. We need to pick up the supplies I ordered before noon or they’ll throw a temper tantrum.” Urahara said. Tessai nodded, and turned to follow Urahara up and out of the underground training area to prepare to leave.

“Nothing has changed much since I was last here. The air feels so much different than what I’m used to, though…” I said, inhaling the rich air and feeling new strength surge through me; my hollow-like powers I had acquired dimmed slightly and my Shinigami skills heightened.
“What do you mean? It’s barely different than the World of the Living.” Ichigo said. He was a bright one alright…
“I’ve lived in Hueco Mundo for the past hundred years, Ichigo. The air there is different than the Soul Society’s.” I said.
“Oh, yeah, right.” Ichigo said. How could someone like him be so powerful? He had no common sense… perhaps there was something else he was good at besides common sense. “So, where are you going to go in from? I know a girl that-“Ichigo said, but I interrupted him.
“I’m not going in straight away, Ichigo. It wouldn’t exactly be suicide, but it would be like heading into a den of hungry wolves armed and coming out barely alive.” I said.
“You know I could just go in there for you and ask them about you.” Ichigo said.

That hadn’t occurred to me. Since the Soul Society knew Ichigo, he could just waltz in with no problem and get at  least one person to come out and meet me. Why hadn’t I thought of that? A seemingly no-common-sense person thought of that before I did… well, perhaps he was good for a few things after all. I gazed up at the moon and thought of what to say about that.
“Could you get three people to come out and meet me?” I asked.
“Only three? Well, I can try, sure. Who do you want me to try and get?” Ichigo asked.
“There are two members from Captain Jyuushiro’s squad; Imai and Tamura. I’m not sure if they’re still there or not, but if they are, then those two definitely. And Captain Kyoraku as well.” I said.
“Imai and Tamura… I’ll try to remember them. And Captain Kyoraku? Don’t think he’ll be that easy. I’ll do my best, though. You have a meeting place in mind?” Ichigo asked.
“Yeah, sure. Follow me.” I said, and I hopped up onto the rooftops of some of the buildings and began jumping across them, heading toward the edge of town. At the last house I jumped down, and gazed over the gr*censored*y area to a large ledge jutting out of the side of a cliff with a pathway leading up to it.
“I’ll be waiting there, no matter how long it takes.” I said.
“Alright. Well, I’ll see what I can do. I’ll be back before tomorrow.” Ichigo said, then headed off at a strolling pace. Such a care-free guy… I turned as well and headed up to the ledge, easily making it up without the use of the pathway since we were after all Shinigami, and Shinigami can find footing in the air. There was a thin la
yer of gr*censored* here and there, but not much else; nothing had changed about it over the years. Only perhaps it had lowered slightly since last time I saw it. I unsheathed Teisei Gotokuame and manifested him.
“There will be some complications I’m sure.” He said. I nodded, knowing full-well that there would be. After all, there had never been a Shinigami that returned from the dead and asked to become a Shinigami again. Especially after they had attacked a Captain, as everybody was told Ava had done to Captain Kurotsuchi.
“As long as you’re willing to go through with it, I don’t mind whatever trouble lays ahead us.” I said.
“Me? I should be saying that to you, Ava.” He told me with a smile.
“Well, I’m just glad to be home again.” I said.
“You shouldn’t call it home just yet, Ava.” Teisei Gotokuame.
“Well, I’m going to call it home no matter what happens. Hueco Mundo can’t really be considered home, even though I lived there longer than I have here, and the World of the Living, well… it was just a place I visited on a daily basis. I’ll find some way to let them accept me if they have any protests.” Ava said.
“You are still young, Ava. Don’t get involved in things that could cost you your life.” Teisei Gotokuame told me.
“Don’t worry; I won’t die easily, you know that.” I told him.
“I know you won’t, but I can’t help but worry since I am a part of you.” Teisei Gotokuame said.
“Well, how about we take that off of our mind. Let’s have a session.” I said, standing up.
“Shikai and Bankai not allowed as usual?” he asked me. I nodded. He smiled and extended his hand, the zanpakutou form of him materializing in his outstretched hand. “Let’s begin.” He said as he rushed at me. I readied my first technique without using the zanpakutou, wrapping spiritual pressure around any part of my body that was about to be struck.
“Not all out tonight, though. We don’t want any other unwanted attention.” I reminded him.
“Of course. Another reason for no Shikai or Bankai.” He said, trying to get a good hit in. With no Shikai, I could defeat him pretty easily. I’d eventually have to use the zanpakutou, but usually for the first half of the battle I did without. Since I had rarely used my Bankai, which I had acquired while in Hueco Mundo, he knew everything there was to know about it and could use that to his advantage. We battled noiselessly, at a very fast pace, and would continue until either one of us tired or until Ichigo came back.

Argh

11:53pm Nov 12 2009

Normal User

Tentatively Reunited

This section is currently a work in progress :)

Argh

11:55pm Nov 12 2009

Normal User

-Unnamed Section-

This section will be a work in progress :)
Argh

11:56pm Nov 12 2009

Normal User

The last Section; Currently Unnamed

This will be the last section; currently, will be a work in progress :)
Go to page: 1