Shadly's Art

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 Bookmark Thread
Mindii

5:56pm Jul 27 2010

Normal User

Sorry dear, I didn't mean for it to be offensive. ;(
I can't draw hands, feet, and sometimes legs. xDD
I'm in love with that giraffe. <33 :D

But hey, just keep practicing and I'm sure you will be able to make real money someday. <3 

shadowrider

7:37pm Jul 27 2010

Normal User

Really? thanks x3

Laya on Dragonadopters Click please<3
Kirsti

8:08pm Jul 31 2010 (last edited on 8:12pm Jul 31 2010)

Normal User

cute art ^^
the most effective way to learn to draw anime, though, is by studying realism. it might surprise you, but EVERY good anime artist out there studied real life first or while studying manga c:

shadowrider

12:48pm Aug 1 2010

Normal User

Really? Thanks x3 I'm kind of bad at realism, but I do it once ina  while.

shadowrider

9:25am Aug 6 2010

Normal User

Link dump ;(

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/#/d2vkzk2 My OC

Chick from Up the movie  

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/#/d2voys0

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/#/d2vkly6 My sister |D

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/#/d2vjikm My oc :D (first attempt at shading on photoshop)

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2vckuu Earth Dragon

http://shadowrider0829.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2v4pds Myself sortof...persona i guess ^^

Grimoire

8:02pm Aug 6 2010 (last edited on 8:02pm Aug 6 2010)

Normal User

Thanks Kirsti. 

I was gonna say, yeah, Mindii's advice was okay but I would not recommend tutorials. Because you're not learning how to manipulate and exaggerate things yourself, you're just copying someone else's mistakes. And trust me, those DA tutorials are dripping with so many mistakes and errors that I cringe whenever they are recommended to people.

And it isn't really "realism". Realism is different. Just because you draw a picture of a real person sitting in front of you doesn't make it "realism" it makes it a drawing... from life. Go outside and draw real life people, if that is what you want to be better at. Preferably gesture sketches. And many of them. Every day. Forever. ahem.

This is what you really need. You need to loosen up. Your drawings are too flat and stiff, and gesture sketching from life will help. Trust me on this. A tutorial may help you swap out your "symbols" for new ones, but wont really help you improve as an artist.

photo 40 - DSZVXzV_zpsj5zwxtwe.jpg
Mindii

9:32pm Aug 6 2010

Normal User

Tutorials may or may not help the individual. I used tutorials for things like digital paintings and cell shading, just so I sould get the feel of it. Most were the same technique,  and I took it and kinda changed some things to fit my personal style. Tutorials have helped me.
I understand when you say they tutorials are 'dripping with mistakes', but I'd have to disagree with this partially because there really are some great ones out there, if you look hard enough.
I mean no disrespect to your personal opinion.(: 

I do however, agree completely with your last paragraph. 

I take magazines and draw the models, to get the feel of how i should shade and highlight the human body. -shrugs- It helps me. 

shadowrider

11:33pm Aug 6 2010 (last edited on 11:33pm Aug 6 2010)

Normal User

Hmm....Could you maybe elongate on the "Flat and stiff" Concept? I'm afraid if I loosen up to much it'll be all scribbly. I got burned badly when  Ifirst joined up with my scribbly sketches, and it really hurt my feelings, so I stopped being scribbly n stuff and yeah...I've been drfawing my family a lot lately, and when I was in school i'd draw people sitting near me too. Does that count?

Also ive only ever used one tutorial, and it was for eyes, and it was helpful ^^

Grimoire

1:26am Aug 7 2010

Normal User

I don't want to start arguing about how a young artist should develop themselves in Shadow's thread. But gaah, seriously. Life first, tutorials later.

I'm not against tutorials. I just hate it when that is the first darn thing newbie artists are pointed too. THAT is what I dislike about tutorials. I do point some people towards tutorials for a certain technique, but really, Shadow here needs to learn from life before touching those awful things. Learning to draw should be an experience where the artist learns and discovers things for themselves, not by copying someone else. So yes. Tutorials can be good for some things but I will ADAMANTLY frown upon them when the artist in question has not studied from life and learned things for themselves first. After that they can exaggerate all they want.

So I'll say it again. NO TUTORIALS DRAW FROM LIFE RAARRGGHHhleafeggh. If you will excuse my tantrum. By the by, the pictures in magazines are flat. Sure. They're pictures of real people (maybe, if they have not been photoshoped into oblivion) but they're not REAL people. Because of that I don't recommend them very much, either. But hey, I only want to be an awesome professional illustrator. My advice doesn't need to be heeded if no one wants to heed it. It's just what has been working for me. (and what has been beaten into my head by far superior artists)

Anyhoo. Terribly sorry about my ranting.

@Shad:

Who burned you? <_<

The gesture sketches are for learning. They're supposed to be messy. I'm not saying everything you draw needs to be a gesture sketch, I'm just saying you need to do some. A gesture sketch is when you try to get the movement and shape of whatever you're drawing with quick long strokes. Detail is unimportant. And yes, drawing people near you and your family does count. That is, after all, drawing from life and not a photograph (or a tutorial)

Here, I did a gesture sketch for you. I dunno if I am explaining it well enough...

This is my clock. The sketch on the left is a gesture sketch, which I did in about ten seconds, just to get the idea of the clock and loosen up. Usually, you should draw many of these with different time limits, 1 minute, 45 seconds, 30 seconds to 20 seconds to 10 seconds and so on, because life doesn't always want to pose for you... you have to capture it quick! On the right is the sketch I spent a little more time on, and since I gave myself more time, I could add a bit more detail. Still messy, but a lot more cleaned up than the one on the left.

o-o I hope I am not smothering you here.

photo 40 - DSZVXzV_zpsj5zwxtwe.jpg
shadowrider

10:31am Aug 7 2010 (last edited on 10:33am Aug 7 2010)

Normal User

No, I kinda get it now. Soulyter burned me bad. ^^; Ill try your gesture sketches, I dont like tutorials either truthfully |3 I go to work with my dad on saturday mornings(just got home a half hour ago or so) and I quickly drew a bird on a fence and it didnt relal ylook too good, butI just wanted to get it down so I could draw it better later. And No, I wasn't using photos. I'll sit in my living room and draw my dad alot. Or people in my clas.s room like I already said. But right now im not in school, so yeah xD

Mindii

3:03pm Aug 7 2010

Normal User

Oh, no I'm not trying to argue. <3
No one in my family is exactly 'artistic' nor are anyone else i know, really, besides my cousin. So I kinda learned how to draw and stuff by myself in the beginning, and copying other drawings, like Shad is doing, but It honestly didn't help. I /do/ agree with the life thing. What started getting me more and more into drawing was sketching my cat, and I must say they weren't very good. And when I wanted to start drawing people, I went to the magazines and pictures on the internet, because no one in my home stays still for 5 minutes. |D
Anyway, I was only sharing how I became a better artist. :D Now, I paint real life pictures of friends, digitally. 

Shad, I think that drawing the bird and drawing your dad and other real life people will help you, alot. I really do. And someone burning you for sketchiness, well, its not right, especially for a beginning artist.  Sketch things out all the time, even if you dont feel you really will want to complete them, it helps. I sketch random stuff all the time on photoshop, and paper, and I usually dont save the sketches. I put the ones on paper in a folder I have for sketches. ;)

I think you should make a goal, as in, something you want to accomplish. Mine was digital painting. I'm /just/ starting to get it down, I will say I'm not the best. Another was to have nearly perfect anatomy on my animals, as well as people. It's taking months and months, and I still haven't mastered either of them. 

By the way, For your digital art do you have a tablet or do you use a mouse? o:
shadowrider

5:24pm Aug 7 2010

Normal User

I switch back and forth it really depends on what im doing if im using a tablet or a mouse. Mostly a mouse though, As When im at my dads, My computer doesnt like my tablet lol. Im going to doodle some dinosaurs now :D

But yeah i skoodled (sketch/doodled) the bird but then it flew away. But a different one flew in my view so i could remember what it looked like. I couldnt really get the pattern So I made my own. ^^

Teehee these dinsoaurs look a bit weird but im having fun |D

and yeah i didnt think it was nice because, they didnt even offer any critic. They just simply said "Your art isn't good" and i wa slike ".....o-o...." but I've stopped letting those things bother me ^^

I still think im good for my age though :D Except I have a friend who can draw like amazing stuff in under 10minutes.Notfair.

rainbow12

5:38pm Aug 7 2010

Normal User

u rock! I know this is random but your art it great!

Mindii

10:25pm Aug 7 2010

Normal User

Good! :D
Don't draw if you get frustrated and angry. I've noticed that if i'm enjoying what im drawing, the outcome is better if i get mad that its not turning out right.
I'm really glad that you have fun drawing. It is really fun. :D
 I cant draw dinosaurs for the life of me. o-o
Its really good that you don't take rude comments like that personally, or let them get to you. :D I envy you. I cared until just last year.  
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you, Shad? (: 

shadowrider

10:53pm Aug 7 2010

Normal User

Rainbow: Thanks ^^

Mindii: im 13, soon to be 14, and no i don't mind :D

shadowrider

5:44pm Aug 10 2010 (last edited on 5:46pm Aug 10 2010)

Normal User

((Drag these into your address bar for full size please))

Moe

8:16pm Aug 10 2010

Normal User

PLZPLZPLZPLZ

keep practicing humans

;w;

they're pretty good nwo, but you'd get even better :D!

andnotenoughartistsdrawhumanscough

^w^

keep up the good work

*been stalking this thread the entire time*

shadowrider

11:09pm Aug 10 2010

Normal User

heh thanks ^^

Mindii

12:51am Aug 11 2010

Normal User

That is good for your age, considering your still pretty young. xD Its good that you draw alot now, because I didn't start until I was almost 15.  ;w;

:D
shadowrider

10:45am Aug 11 2010

Normal User

Yeah ^^ Really? I've been drawing for a while.

Go to page: 1, 2, 3