HEY GUESS WHO'S DRAWING A DRAGON FOR EMPHASIS PRACTICE IN ART CLASS?

Go to page: 1 Bookmark Thread
Rika

7:23pm Sep 26 2011

Normal User

Yep. This girl right hurr.

And nope, the emphasis is NOT the dragon. |D

The emphasis is going to be on the orbs, which I shall color bright colors while the dragon will be black and white. Good idea?

My art teacher thought so. o3o what do you guys think? Am I just being an overachiever or is this a really good idea? o3o

By the way this is done. I just haven't taken a picture of it yet.

SugarSnow

4:31pm Sep 28 2011

Normal User

IT SHALL BE AWESHOM. I wanna see the finished one. >:D This is a really cool idea, Rika. I wish I could draw like you. <3

Rika

5:16pm Oct 24 2011

Normal User

The redrawn version SUCKS. This is my original one.

Ping

5:15am Oct 26 2011

Normal User

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/HappyVeggies/dragonsdkjasdkja.png

There are a few major problems I see with this dragon. Mainly anatomical problems:
1. There is a problem with the face, it seem that the eyes are in profile and the nose is in three quarters view.
2. The hind legs are incorrectly placed (see the second diagram for how they would look like in a different angle)
3. There seems to be a lack of definition of the neck
The third diagram shows how it would look like with my corrections (just meaning how I would have done it. It doesn't mean that I am correct).

I ASSUME (emphasis on assume) that you were drawing an Asian dragon. I am Chinese and I've done a lot of work is based on Chinese mythology and traditions. The problem I have with your drawing is that your dragon is holding 4 pearls. There should only be one. The pearl is pretty symbolic and I find that the treatment of Chinese design by western artists is a bit naive (there's nothing wrong with being naive about things). I've got nothing against you, but I just think you need to do some research when tackling things that represent other people's cultures. If it's in no way related to Asian culture, that's fine ;D

I know that the 'emphasis' is not meant to be the dragon. But I do think that every component of an art piece needs to be strong in order to be affective. So if you're not good at drawing something, you must practice drawing them and getting better at drawing them before you actually start doing your final piece. I think your idea of having a b/w dragon and coloured pearls is great to remove the attention away from the dragon by the way.

Oh yeah, if you're actually making a Chinese dragon, I suggest you look into Fenghuang (the phoenix). In traditional Chinese artwork, the dragon is very often depicted with the phoenix. They like to play football together (that's what my mum told me when I asked her why dragons play with phoenixes when I was little).

I (HATE)' YOU

Feel the love man D:<

Go to page: 1